Rock Mill, West Chiltington
which has been converted to residential use.
"Rock Mill" was originally built at Monkmead, and moved to West Chiltington in 1838. The mill first appeared on the West Chiltington tithe map of 1840. The mill was refitted by William Cooper,cite web| url= http://www.100megsfree.com/hhg/williamcooper.htm| publisher =Henfield History Group| title = William Cooper| accessdate= 2008-05-12] the
Henfieldmillwright in 1865. It was working until 1922, when it was stripped of machinery and house converted. The millstones went to a watermillat Coolham.cite book | first = Martin| last = Brunnarius| year = 1979| title = The Windmills of Sussex| pages = p71-72, 190| publisher = Philimore| location = Chichester| id= ISBN 0 85033 345 8] "Rock Mill" was the home of composer John Ireland from 1953 to 1962.cite web| url= http://www.sicook.net/wasindex.html| publisher =Simon Cook| title = Washington Village| accessdate= 2008-05-12]
"Rock Mill" is a two storey smock mill on a two storey stone base, with a stage at first floor level. She had four Spring sails. The cap is in the Kentish style, winded by a fantail. The mill drove three pairs of
millstones. The mill only has two sails and the fantail is missing. Various extentions have been made to the smock tower.
*Hammond 1840 - 1844
*Willmer 1845 -
*Meeten 1898 - 1918
References for above:-
* [http://www.windmillworld.com/millid/2577.htm Windmill World] Page on West Chiltington windmill.
cite book | first = Peter| last = Hemming| year = 1936| title = Windmills in Sussex| publisher = C W Daniel| location = London [http://theweald.org/bk.asp?BookId=wind900&xid=A&xnm=1 Online version]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.