Myanmar Maritime University
Myanmar Maritime University Template:ျမန္မာႏိုင္ငံေရေၾကာင္းပညာတကၠသိုလ္ Established 1 August 2002 Type public Rector Charles Than (2008) Students 450 per intake of 2010 Undergraduates 1741 (2007) Location Thilawa, Thanlyin 11293
Yangon Division, Myanmar
Affiliations Yangon Technological University, Korea Maritime University, Nagaoka University, Nihon University, Tokyo University of Marine Science and Technology Website http://www.mot.gov.mm/mmu/index.html
Myanmar Maritime University (MMU) (Burmese: ျမန္မာႏိုင္ငံေရေၾကာင္းပညာတကၠသိုလ္, pronounced [mjəmà nàiɴŋàɴ jèdʑáuɴ pjɪ̀ɴɲà tɛʔkəθò]), located in Thanlyin in the outskirts of Yangon, is the premier university of maritime education in Myanmar. MMU, administered by the Ministry of Transportation, offers five-year bachelor's degree programs and two-year post-graduate diplomas in various marine and naval disciplines. In 2007, the school had about 1800 undergraduate and graduate students, pursuing international STCW-95-standards compliant maritime education.
MMU is one of the most selective universities in Myanmar as many of its students find job opportunities abroad.
MMU was established in February 2002 by the military government per the Myanmar Maritime University Act (The State Peace and Development Council Law No. 1/2002). The official mission of MMU is to "produce well competent qualified naval architects, engineers and scientists". On 1 August 2002, the university first opened its doors inside the compound of Yangon Institute of Marine Technology, in Sinmalai, Yangon. Since March 2004, the university has been relocated to its present purpose-built campus in Thanlyin near Thilawa port, the country's largest port.
MMU is one of the most selective universities in the country. Admissions are based primarily on the marks received in the Burmese university entrance examination(Matriculation Exam). The university does maintain a 15% quota of female students in its annual student intake, and all students must pass an eyesight exam. As many of the graduates receive job offers from foreign shipping firms, admission to the university is highly competitive. In 2006, the minimum university entrance exam score necessary to be admitted was 458 out of 600 marks (up from 443 marks in 2005) despite an increase in admissions to 450 students per year from 350 the year earlier. In 2008, the admissions marks was 473 out of 600.The minimum entrance mark is 491 in 2010.
MMU offers six five-year bachelor's degree programs and two two-year post-graduate diplomas. The university’s syllabus, coursework and practical training are in keeping with the standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers 1995, an international convention recognized by the International Maritime Organization that sets qualifications and training standards for personnel serving aboard seagoing merchant ships.
Program Bachelor's Type Duration Notes Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering B.E. FT 5 Yrs Accredited by the Royal Institution of Naval Architects(RINA) Marine Engineering B.E. FT 5 Yrs Port and Harbour Engineering B.E. FT 5 Yrs River and Coastal Engineering B.E. FT 5 Yrs Marine Electrical Systems and Electronics B.E. FT 5 Yrs Nautical Science B.Sc. FT 5 Yrs
The university offers two two-year post-graduate diplomas in shipping management and port management.
- Shipping Management
- Port Management
List of rectors
- Thein Tun (2002–2007)
- Dr. Charlie Than (2007–present)
- Department of Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering
- Department of Marine Engineering
- Department of Port and Harbour Engineering
- Department of River and Coastal Engineering
- Department of Marine Electrical Systems and Electronics
- Department of Nautical Science
- Department of Shipping Management
- Department of Port Management
- Department of Burmese
- Department of Computer Science
- Department of English
- Department of Engineering Mathematics
- Department of Engineering Chemistry
- Department of Engineering Physics
- Department of Workshop Technology
Affiliated academic institutions
MMU maintains affiliations with the following academic institutions.
- Yangon Technological University
- Defence Services Technological Academy
- University of East Yangon
- Technological University, Thanlyin
- Yangon University
- Korea Maritime University
- Shanghai Maritime University
- Dalian Maritime University
- Tokyo University of Marine Science and Technology
- Burapha University
- National Taiwan Ocean University
- Shanghai Ocean University
- ^ a b "Myanmar Maritime University". Ministry of Transportation. http://www.mot.gov.mm/mmu/index.html. Retrieved 2008-11-27.
- ^ "Grants provided to brilliant students of Myanmar Maritime University". The New Light of Myanmar. 2008-07-19. http://www.myanmargeneva.org/08nlm/n080720.htm.
- ^ http://monnews.org/?p=924 | Myanmar Maritine University gaining popularity
- ^ a b c "History of MMU". Ministry of Transportation. http://www.mot.gov.mm/mmu/history.html. Retrieved 2008-11-27.
- ^ a b "Myanmar Maritime University". MMU Information Site. http://www.mmu.info.ms/. Retrieved 2008-11-27.
- ^ a b "Programs at MMU". Ministry of Transportation. http://www.mot.gov.mm/mmu/programs.html. Retrieved 2008-11-27.
- ^ a b Win Nyunt Lwin (2006-11-12). Maritime students enjoy more job opportunities. The Myanmar Times. http://www.myanmar.com/myanmartimes/MyanmarTimes18-341/n018.htm.
- ^ Win Nyunt Lwin (2006-11-20). MMU offers new courses. http://www.myanmar.com/myanmartimes/MyanmarTimes18-343/n008.htm.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Myanmar Army — တပ်မတော်(ကြည်း Myanmar Army Flag Active Country Myanmar … Wikipedia
Myanmar — /muy ahn mah/, n. Union of, official name of Burma. * * * I or Burma officially Union of Myanmar Country, Southeast Asia, on the Bay of Bengal and the Andaman Sea. Area: 261,228 sq mi (676,577 sq km). Population (2002 est.): 42,238,000. Capital:… … Universalium
List of maritime colleges — Contents 1 Africa 1.1 Egypt 1.2 Nigeria 1.3 Ghana 2 The Americas … Wikipedia
List of maritime boundary treaties — The list of maritime boundary treaties, also known as maritime delimitation treaties, are bilateral or multinational expressions of specific mutual obligations. These are also called maritime boundary agreements or maritime delimitation… … Wikipedia
Memorial University of Newfoundland Students' Union — Institution Memorial University of Newfoundland Location St. John s, NF Established 1961 Members 14,000 … Wikipedia
Yangon — Rangoon redirects here. For other uses, see Rangoon (disambiguation). Yangon ရန်ကုန် Rangoon City … Wikipedia
List of Yangon Universities — This is a list of colleges and universities in Yangon, Myanmar. All universities in Myanmar are public.Public* East Yangon University * Myanmar Maritime University * Thingangyun Education College * West Yangon University * University of Computer… … Wikipedia
MMU — may refer to:* Manchester Metropolitan University, a large public university in Manchester, England * Manned Maneuvering Unit, a NASA rocket pack that snaps onto the back of a spacesuit * Marymount University, a Catholic university located in… … Wikipedia
Foreign relations of Burma — Burma (Myanmar) This article is part of the series: Politics and government of Burma … Wikipedia
Burma — Republic of the Union of Myanmar ပြည်ထောင်စု သမ္မတ မြန်မာနိုင်ငံတော် Pyidaunzu Thanmăda Myăma Nainngandaw … Wikipedia