New York, I Love You
New York, I Love You
Theatrical release poster
Directed by see below Produced by Emmanuel Benbihy
Written by see below Starring see below Music by Tonino Baliardo
Cinematography Jean-Louis Bompoint
Mark Lee Ping Bin
Editing by Jennifer Augé
Allyson C. Johnson
Distributed by Vivendi Entertainment
Release date(s) October 16, 2009 Running time 103 minutes Country United States
Budget $14,000,000 Box office $8,049,666 
New York, I Love You is a 2009 romance film released in the United States on October 16, 2009. From the producer of Paris, je t'aime, it stars an ensemble cast, among them Bradley Cooper, Shia LaBeouf, Natalie Portman, Anton Yelchin, Hayden Christensen, Orlando Bloom, Irrfan Khan, Rachel Bilson, Chris Cooper, Andy García, Christina Ricci, John Hurt, Cloris Leachman, Robin Wright Penn, Julie Christie, Maggie Q, Ethan Hawke and James Caan. The film premiered at the 2008 Toronto International Film Festival in September 2008.
New York, I Love You is a collective work of eleven short films, with each segment running around 10 minutes long. Some of the actors have international status (Natalie Portman, Shia LaBeouf, Hayden Christensen, Blake Lively, Orlando Bloom, Rachel Bilson, Uğur Yücel, Irrfan Khan, James Caan, and Christina Ricci) with each shooting their part in one of New York's five boroughs. Similar to the previous film, Paris, je t'aime, the shorts presented together may interweave slightly; however, they will all tie into the common theme of finding love. New York, I Love You is the second episode of the Cities of Love franchise created and produced by Emmanuel Benbihy.
Cast and crew
Following is the full cast and crew of ten segments of New York, I Love You with the transition part directed by Randy Balsmeyer:
Segment Director Writer Actors 01 Jiang Wen Hu Hong & Meng Yao
Adaptation: Israel Horovitz
Hayden Christensen as Ben
Andy García as Garry
Rachel Bilson as Molly
02 Mira Nair Suketu Mehta Natalie Portman as Rifka Malone
Irrfan Khan as Mansuhkhbai
03 Shunji Iwai Adaptation: Israel Horovitz Orlando Bloom as David Cooler
Christina Ricci as Camille
04 Yvan Attal Olivier Lecot Maggie Q as Call Girl
Ethan Hawke as Writer
Chris Cooper as Alex
Robin Wright Penn as Anna
05 Brett Ratner Jeff Nathanson Anton Yelchin as Boy
James Caan as Mr. Riccoli
Olivia Thirlby as Actress
Blake Lively as Gabrielle DiMarco
06 Allen Hughes Xan Cassavetes & Stephen Winter Bradley Cooper as Gus
Drea de Matteo as Lydia
07 Shekhar Kapur Anthony Minghella Julie Christie as Isabelle
John Hurt as Bellhop
Shia LaBeouf as Jacob
08 Natalie Portman Natalie Portman Taylor Geare as Teya
Carlos Acosta as Dante
Jacinda Barrett as Maggie
09 Fatih Akin Fatih Akin Uğur Yücel as Painter
Shu Qi as Chinese herbalist
Burt Young as Landlord
10 Joshua Marston Joshua Marston Eli Wallach as Abe
Cloris Leachman as Mitzie
transition Randy Balsmeyer Hall Powell, Israel Horovitz & James Strouse Emilie Ohana as Zoe, the Video Artist
Eva Amurri as Sarah
Justin Bartha as Sean
The film has received mixed reviews from critics. Rotten Tomatoes reported that 39% of critics gave the film positive reviews based on 50 reviews with an average score of 6/10. Another review aggregator, Metacritic, which assigns a normalized rating from 100 reviews from mainstream critics, gave the film an average score of 49% based on 23 reviews.
Lisa Schwarzbaum of Entertainment Weekly gave the film a B regarding the film "takes the wrinkle-free, easy-travel concept first executed in the 2007 Gallic compilation Paris, je t'aime to a new city and styles itself..." Roger Ebert of the Chicago Sun-Times gave the film 3 stars saying in his review, "By its nature, "New York, I Love You" can't add up. It remains the sum of its parts." At the Movies critic A.O. Scott of The New York Times gave the film a mixed review claiming "Not that the 11 shorts in New York, I Love You are all that bad. It's a nice-looking city, after all, even if the interstitial skyline and traffic montages assembled by Randy Balsmeyer are about as fresh as the postcards on sale in Times Square." Lou Lumenick of the New York Post gave the film 1 star claiming "there were two additional segments that have since been cut. So you'll have to wait for the DVD to see just how bad Scarlett Johansson's directing debut is."
Erica Abeel of Hollywood Reporter writes "New York, I Love You continues the Cities of Love series that began with Paris, je t'aime far surpassing it. (...) The vignettes are tied together into a single feature through a recurrent character, a videographer who interacts with the other characters. And transitional elements -- choreographed by 11th director Randy Balsmeyer -- move the viewer from one world to another, uniting all these intimate stories into a single shimmering fabric." "With younger, less-tested directing talent, the film plays down the delineation between one director's work and another, opting to blend them through loosely interconnected characters here and there. As opposed to its directing roster, however, the cast boasts quite a few big names, all of which lend a surprising amount of authenticity to these funny, imaginative little stories," explains Heidi Patalano of Metro NY giving the film a 4 grade out of 5. Claudia Puig of USA Today explains that anthologies are by their very nature an uneven entity and adds "The multicultural emphasis - both in characters and in the unusual selection and collaboration of filmmakers and artists - is one of New York, I Love You's main assets. And there's no question that Manhattan looks ever-vibrant and beautiful."
The film grossed $1,588,015 in the United States.
- ^ http://new.umusic.com/News.aspx?NewsId=615
- ^ New York, I Love You in October
- ^ a b http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=newyorkiloveyou.htm
- ^ (DVD) New York, I Love You. Vivendi Entertainment.
- ^ a b "New York, I Love You (2009): Reviews". Metacritic. http://www.metacritic.com/film/titles/nyiloveyou. Retrieved 2009-10-17.
- ^ "New York, I Love You Movie Reviews, Pictures". Rotten Tomatoes. IGN Entertainment. http://uk.rottentomatoes.com/m/new_york_i_love_you/. Retrieved 2009-10-27.
- ^ "New York, I Love You Review - Entertainment Weekly". Entertainment Weekly. 2009-10-16. http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20312202,00.html. Retrieved 2009-10-17.
- ^ "New York, I Love You Review - Roger Ebert". Chicago Sun-Times. 2009-10-14. http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20091014/REVIEWS/910149995. Retrieved 2009-10-17.
- ^ Scott, A. O. (2009-10-16). "Manhattan Is for Lovers: Two by Two by Two by ...". New York Times. http://movies.nytimes.com/2009/10/16/movies/16newyork.html?ref=movies. Retrieved 2009-10-17.
- ^ Lumenick, Lou (2009-10-16). "Big Applesauce". New York Post. http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/movies/big_applesauce_LhETdSdVyJ5r0CbvJLlWoI. Retrieved 2009-10-17.
- ^ "New York, I Love You Film Review - The Hollywood Reporter". The Hollywood Reporter. 2009-10-05. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/film-reviews/new-york-i-love-you-film-review-1004018717.story. Retrieved 2009-10-05. [dead link]
- ^ "'New York' falls to beautiful pieces". Metro NY. 2009-10-15. http://www.metro.us/us/article/2009/10/16/03/0559-82/index.xml. Retrieved 2009-10-15. [dead link]
- ^ Puig, Claudia (2009-10-15). "New York, I Love You harbors surprises as well as the sub-par". USA Today. http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/reviews/2009-10-15-new-york-i-love-you_N.htm. Retrieved 2009-10-15.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
New York, I Love You — Título New York, I Love You Ficha técnica Dirección Jiang Wen Mira Nair Shunji Iwai Yvan Attal Brett Ratner Allen Hughes Shekhar Kapur Natalie Portman … Wikipedia Español
New York, I Love You — Données clés Réalisation Fatih Akin Yvan Attal Allen Hughes Shunji Iwai Wen Jiang Shekhar Kapur Joshua Marston Mira Nair Natalie Portman Brett Ratner Randall Balsmeyer Acteurs principaux Hayden Christensen … Wikipédia en Français
New York, I Love You — Filmdaten Deutscher Titel New York, I Love You Produktionsland USA … Deutsch Wikipedia
New York, I Love You — … Википедия
New York City Boy — Single by Pet Shop Boys from the album Nightlife B side … Wikipedia
New York City Boy — «New York City Boy» Сингл Pet Shop Boys из альбома Nightlife Выпущен 27 сентября, 1999 года Формат CD, аудиокассета Записан 1999 Жанр … Википедия
New York Goes to Hollywood — Format Reality Created by Cris Abrego Mark Cronin … Wikipedia
New York (Paloma Faith song) — New York Single by Paloma Faith from the album Do You Want the Truth or Something Beautiful? B … Wikipedia
New York (Glee) — «New York» Episodio de Glee Episodio nº 22 Temporada 2 … Wikipedia Español
New York Goes To Hollywood — Infobox Television show name = New York Goes To Hollywood caption = format = Reality runtime = 30 minutes (including commercials) creator = Cris Abrego Mark Cronin executive producer = Cris Abrego Mark Cronin Ben Samek starring = Tiffany Pollard … Wikipedia