Still Life (video game)
Infobox VG | title = Still Life
publisher = EU MC2
The Adventure Company
released = NA start date|2005|4|15(WIN)
EU June 3, 2005 (WIN), (
NA June 6, 2005 (
genre = Adventure
ratings = ESRB: M (Mature)
Microsoft Windows, Xbox
media = 2
requirements = 800 MHz
Intel PentiumCPU, 128 MB RAM, 32 MB video cardRAM, 16X CD-ROM drive, DirectX8.1b, 600 MB available hard diskspace, Windows 98(WIN)
input = Keyboard, mouse or
"Still Life" is a
2005computer adventure gameby Microïds. While not sharing its name, "Still Life" is a sequel to "Post Mortem". A sequel, " Still Life 2", was announced by Microïdson December 6, 2007.
The storytelling device of switching back and forth between two
player characters is similar to "Fahrenheit" and highly reminiscent of such games as " Gabriel Knight".
A major theme throughout the game is art, especially the technique of
still lifethat the game is named after.
The story revolves around private investigator
Gustav McPhersonin the late 1920s Pragueand FBI Special Agent Victoria McPherson(Gus' grandchild) in the near future Chicago, and their task to hunt down what seems to be the same ritualistic and beastly serial killer, more than seventy years apart.
The game focuses around Victoria's journey to link the murders and mutilations of prostitutes in 1920s
Pragueto the similar murders of mistresses working at an S&M club named "Red Lantern" during Victoria's time period. The game's main nemesis is a man clad in a dark cloak, top-hatand a silver mask and is encountered by both Gus McPherson and Victoria.
Ending / sequel
A controversy surrounding the game is its lack of an ending. Originally planned as the second of a trilogyFact|date=October 2007, with "Post Mortem" as the first, "Still Life" ends without revealing the villain, setting up for a finalé which, for some time, appeared never to be made, as part of the development arm of
Microïdsin Canada was bought out by Ubisoft[cite web |url=http://www.ubi.com/ENCA/News/Info.aspx?nId=2028 |title=Ubisoft Montréal enters into an agreement to acquire Microïds Canada's development operations |publisher=ubi.com |date=2005-03-02 |accessdate=2008-07-03] . However, on December 6, 2007, Microïds announced the development of a sequel, " Still Life 2", which is expected to be released in Q1 2009 [cite web |url=http://www.microids.com/en/press/9/microids-to-release-still-life-sequel.html |title=Microïds announces "Still Life 2" |publisher=Microïds |date=2007-12-06 |accessdate=2008-07-03] . The mysterious antagonist's identity will apparently be revealed in the sequel. On September 19, 2008 a new "Still Life" series website was opened, covering the three games.
"Still Life: Prelude"
"Still Life: Prelude" was a section of the game which continued on the game's website, but is not online anymore. It placed you once again in control of Victoria McPherson investigating cases prior to those encountered in the main "Still Life" game plot.
* "Victoria McPherson" - An FBI agent, Granddaughter of Gus; one of the player's characters (
* "David Miller" - Chicago Police/FBI Officer (
* "Claire Ashby" - Chicago Police/FBI Coroner (Pauline Little)
* "William Tate" - Chicago Police Officer (
* "Todd Browning" - Chicago FBI Chief (Terrance Scammel)
* "Vaclav Kolar" - Chicago University Tutor (
* "Patrick McPherson" - Father to Victoria, son of Gustav and Milena (
A. J. Henderson)
* "Richard Valdez" - Boyfriend of Victoria; works at Chicago Art Gallery (Marcel Jeannin)
* "Bouncer Mr. Zero" - Bouncer at Chicago Red Lantern Club (Terrance Scammel)
* "Mia Holmes" - Works at Red Lantern Club; Neighbour of Kolar (
* "Roslyn Checa" - 1st Chicago Victim
* "Elizabeth Walmsley" - 2nd Chicago Victim
* "Shannon Braeme" - 3rd Chicago Victim
* "Natalie Kenworth" - 4th Chicago Victim
* "Cynthia Woods" - 5th Chicago Victim
* "Stephanie Wallace" - 6th Chicago Victim
* "Gustav McPherson" - Private Detective, first featured in the game "Post Mortem". (Sven Eriksson)
* "Jiří Skalnic" - Prague Police Investigator (
* "Kazimír Stašek" - Prague Police Officer (
* "Emil Korona" - Prague Coroner (A. J. Henderson)
* "Mark Ackerman" - American Artist (Arthur Holden)
* "The Crow Man" - Coachman in Prague (Arthur Holden)
* "Patrick Bell" - US Embassy in Prague (Marcel Jeannin)
* "Otokar Kubina" - Prague Pimp; Owns Lingerie shop (Harry Standjofski)
* "Petr Jesenský" - Henchman for Kubina in Prague; Brother of Roman (Terrance Scammel)
* "Roman Jesenský" - Henchman for Kubina in Prague; Brother of Petr (Terrance Scammel)
* "Ida Skaličková" - Prostitute in Prague; Gustav's Girlfriend (Sarah Leger)
* "Milena" - Prostitute in Prague; Gustav's wife (
* "Apolena" - Prostitute in Prague (Jennifer Seguin)
* "Vladana Tominová" - Prostitute in Prague; Benefactor for bridge (
* "Františka" - Prostitute/Victim in Prague
* "Anežka" - Prostitute/Missing in Prague
* "Annika Vitti" - Prostitute/Victim in Prague
* "Sasha" - Prostitute/Victim in Prague
* "Katarina Bulgari" - Prostitute/Victim in Prague
* "Nadia Burkowski" - Prostitute/Victim in Prague
* "Herbert Ackerman" - Ambassador; Father of Mark
* "Michael Harrison" - Los Angeles Police Officer
List of Mark Ackerman's works
Within the game there is a fictional artist named Mark Ackerman. Their titles and meanings are used within the game as clues to the mystery.
* Veiled Woman
* Streets of Prague
* The Pupil
* Empty Shell
* Moonshine Traffic
* Mob Boss
* LA Promenade
* Peace of Mind
* Doctor Hyde
* Death Do Us Part
* Cleansing of a Soul
* Bridge Over Troubled Water
* Disturbed Sanctuary
"Still Life" was made with
Virtoolsapplications [cite web |url=http://www.virtools.com/made-with-virtools/demosc951.html?a=smenu1&idcat=1&catkey=GPCC&iddemo=96 |title="Still Life" project |publisher=Virtools Applications Dead link|date=February 2008] [cite web |url=http://www.virtools.com/News/pdf/2004/EN%20-%20Dec04-AdventureGamers_StillLife.pdf |title="Still Life" Review |date=2004-12-20 |publisher=Virtools Applications/ Adventure Gamers |accessdate=2008-07-03|format=PDF] ; the same software as "Post Mortem" and some other Microïds games. The point and click gameplay is also based on their previous " Syberia" games.
Lead character biographies
* Gustav McPherson is a Private Detective, who grew up in New York City. In the mid-1920s Gustav moved to
Parisand took up the profession of an Artist. In 1925 a mysterious woman, Sophia Blake, hired Gustav to investigate the murders at the Orphee Hotel, of her 'sister' and brother-in-law. This mystery unfolded into a paranormal encounter with an item called the 'Head of Baphomet', which would give eternal life to its beholder. In 1929 Gustav was enlisted by his then girlfriend Ida to investigate the murders of multiple prostitutes in Prague. While uncovering that the murderer was also an artist, Ida herself was murdered causing Gustav to be distraught. Gustav, Vladanna Tominoka and Milena fled the murderer by working their way back to America. Gustav and Milena settled in Chicago, where they married and had a son, Patrick McPherson. In 1932 Gustav also stole some FBI files related to the murders, which he later passed on in 1956 to a police officer in Los Angeles, Michael Harrison. Harrison was investigating murders which were almost identical to the ones in Prague.
* Victoria McPherson is an FBI Agent working in
Chicago. She is the daughter of Patrick and granddaughter of Gustav. As a child she loved listening to her grandfather's stories and would later find herself entangled in similar circumstances to one of Gustav's cases. Later in her career Victoria was sent to work in Maine.
* [http://web.archive.org/web/20050327080331/www.stilllife-game.com/Prelude/index.aspx?lang=en "Still Life"'s original official website] - Captured by the "
Internet Archive", March 29, 2005
* [http://www.microids.com/en/catalogue/10/still-life-victoria-mcpherson-s-adventures.html "Still Life" PC] , at [http://www.microids.com Microïds]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Half-Life (video game) — Infobox VG title=Half Life caption=The box art for Half Life shows the title on a rusted orange background, below the Greek lambda letter. developer=Valve Software publisher=Sierra Studios Electronic Arts Valve Software designer= engine=GoldSrc… … Wikipedia
City Life (video game) — City Life Developer(s) Monte Cristo Publisher(s) CDV Deep … Wikipedia
Still Life (disambiguation) — A still life is a work of art depicting inanimate subject matter.Still life may also refer to:* Still life photography * Still life (cellular automaton), an unchanging pattern in a cellular automaton * Still Life (video game), a 2005 computer… … Wikipedia
Video game music — Part of a series on … Wikipedia
Video game developer — Part of a series on … Wikipedia
Video game development — Game development redirects here. For other uses, see Game development (disambiguation) … Wikipedia
Video game culture — Part of a series on … Wikipedia
Video game genres — Part of a series on … Wikipedia
Video game — Computer and video games redirects here. For the magazine, see Computer and Video Games. For PC games specifically, see personal computer game. For Console games specifically, see console game. For the Lana Del Rey song, see Video Games (song) … Wikipedia
Still Life 2 — Infobox VG width = title = Still Life 2 collapsible = state = show caption = Still Life 2 promotional logo aspect ratio = resolution = developer = Gameco Studios publisher = Microïds Encore (North America) distributor = license = series = engine … Wikipedia