Levuka is a town on the south-east coast of the
Fijian island of Ovalau, in Lomaiviti Province, in the Eastern Division of Fiji, of which it is the capital. At the censusin 1996, the last to date, Levuka had a population of 3,745, more than a third of Ovalau's total. It is the economic hub and the largest of 24 settlements on the island. Levuka and the island of Ovalau are seeking recognition from UNESCOas a World Heritage Site.
The modern town of Levuka was founded around 1820 by
European settlers and traders as the first modern town in the Fiji Islands, and became an important port and trading post. A disparate band of settlers made up Levuka's population - traders, missionaries, shipwrights, speculators, and vagabonds, as well as respectable businessmen. Maristpriests, led by Father Breheret, established a mission in Levuka in 1858. By 1870, the town had a population of more than 800. When the first modern nation state of Fiji was founded in 1871, Seru Epenisa Cakobauwas crowned King at Levuka. After Fiji was annexed as a British colony in 1874, Levuka remained the capitaluntil 1877, when the administration was moved to Suva, although the move was not made official until 1882. The move was prompted by concerns that the 600-meter high cliffs surrounding Levuka gave it no room for expansion.Levuka is famous for many of Fiji's "firsts." It was the site of Fiji's first bank, post office, school, private members club, hospital, town hall, and municipal government. Fiji's first newspaper, the Fiji Times, which is still in operation today, was founded in Levuka in 1869. Levuka's Royal Hotel is the oldest hotel in the South Pacific still operating. Historians have not ascertained its exact age, but records show that it was in existence by the early 1860s. Levuka Public School, opened in 1879, was the first public school in Fiji and many of Fiji's leaders in the years leading up to and following independence in 1970 were educated there. The oldest Masonic lodge in the South Pacific, Lodge Polynesia 562 SC, is also to be found in Levuka. It was established in 1875. Levuka was also the site of Fiji's first public electricity system, which began in 1927, three days before the capital Suva was electrified.
Levuka's status as a stopover
portfor ocean vessels crossing the Pacific came to an end in the 1950s, threatening the town with economic extinction. In 1964, however, the Pacific Fishing Company(PAFCO) was founded by a Japanese firm, specializing in freezing and shipping canned tuna, mostly to markets in Europeand Canada. A cannery, a joint PAFCO-government venture, was opened in 1976, and is the largest private employer on the island of Ovalau.
Owing largely to Levuka's isolation,
tourismplays only a minor role in the Levuka/Ovalau economy.
Governance and politics
Levuka has been incorporated as a Town since 1877, and is governed by a Town Council of 8 members, elected for 3 year terms. The municipal elections of
22 October 2005resulted in a defeat for the SDL of outgoing Mayor Taniela Bulivou, with the Balance Party taking 6 of the 8 seats. The new council elected George Gibson to succeed Bulivou; the Mayoral term is for one year, but may be extended any number of times.
At the northern end of Levuka is the traditional Fijian village of Levuka. The village chief, who bears the title of "
Tui Levuka", is a direct descendant of the chief who welcomed the first European settlers. In memory of his ancestor, he is also known as "Tamana na vavalagi" (Father of the Europeans). At the southern end of the town lies the village of Nasova, where the King Seru Epenisa Cakobausigned the Deed of Cession, ceding the islands to Great Britain on 10 October 1874.
Levuka Community Centre, which houses a branch of the Fiji Museum, a public library, crafts centre, kindergarten, squash court and meeting hall, occupies a renovated store built in 1878 by Morris Hedstrom & Co., a trading company established in Levuka's early days and still in business in Fiji. Morris Hedstrom gave the building to the National Trust of Fijiin 1980. Adjacent to the Levuka Community Centre stands Queens Wharf, with a maximum depth of eight meters. Upgraded in the 1990s, it is used mostly by local craft, though foreign vessels sometimes dock, Levuka being one of three official ports of entry to Fiji ( Suvaand Lautokabeing the other two).
Other well-known landmarks include Sacred Heart Church, a legacy of the
MaristFathers, who arrived in 1858, the Ovalau Club, one of the oldest social organizations in the Pacific, and Levuka Town Hall, which houses the Levuka Town Council. It was built in 1898 in honour of Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee.
* [http://www.levukafiji.com/ Levuka Fiji]
* [http://www.fijifvb.gov.fj/activity/listing/levuka.htm Levuka Town]
* [http://www.freemasonry.org.fj/lodge_polynesia.aspx Lodge Polynesia 562 SC]
* [http://www.levukafiji.com Levuka Guide]
* [http://anglicanhistory.org/oceania/levuka1936/ Levuka Days of a Parson in Polynesia] , Illustrated memoir by C.W. Whonsbon-Aston (1936)
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Levuka — Levuka … Deutsch Wikipedia
Levuka — Levuka, früher Hauptstadt und wichtigster, seit 1881 durch die neue Hauptstadt Suwa überflügelter Handelsplatz der Fidschiinseln, auf der Ostküste der Insel Ovalau, mit gutem Hafen, Handelskammer, Bank und deutschem Konsulat. L. ist Hauptsitz der … Meyers Großes Konversations-Lexikon
Levuka — Levuka, ehemal. Hauptstadt der brit. Kolonie Fidschi Inseln, auf Ovalau, guter Hafen … Kleines Konversations-Lexikon
Levuka F.C. — Football club infobox clubname = Levuka F.C. fullname = Levuka Football Club nickname = founded = 1938 ground = Nasau Park Levuka, Fiji capacity = 1,000 chairman = manager = league = season = position = pattern la1= whiteshoulders|pattern b1=… … Wikipedia
Levuka — Beach Street, la principal calle de Levuka, al borde del océano Pacífico. Levuka es una ciudad situada en la costa suroriental de la isla de Ovalau en el estado oceánico de Fiyi, en la Provincia Lomaiviti, en la División Este. Es la ex capital… … Wikipedia Español
Levuka — 17°41′1″S 178°50′5″E / 17.68361, 178.83472 Levuka est une ville située sur la côte est de l île d Ovalau, aux Îles Fidj … Wikipédia en Français
Levuka — ▪ Fiji town on the east coast of Ovalau island, central Fiji, South Pacific, and capital of Lomaiviti province. Settled by a U.S. adventurer in 1822, the area was the centre of a cotton boom during the American Civil War (1861–65), when… … Universalium
Levuka — Original name in latin Levuka Name in other language State code FJ Continent/City Pacific/Fiji longitude 18.06667 latitude 179.31667 altitude 49 Population 8360 Date 2013 08 04 … Cities with a population over 1000 database
Levuka — ISO 639 3 Code : lvu ISO 639 2/B Code : ISO 639 2/T Code : ISO 639 1 Code : Scope : Individual Language Type : Living … Names of Languages ISO 639-3
Levuka Airfield — IATA: LEV – ICAO: NFNB … Wikipedia