Cornships Management and Agency
Cornships Management and Agency Inc. Type Corporation Industry Ship transport Headquarters Istanbul, Turkey Key people Akin Falay, founder Website http://www.cornships.com/index.htm
Cornships Management and Agency Inc. often known as Cornships is a Turkish shipping company. The company manages and provides agency services for the fleet owned and controlled by Corn Marine Ltd. of Malta. The company specializes in dry bulk cargo. Cornships is divided into four departments: operations, technical, crewing, and the commercial & agency department.
Cornships Management is a privately held corporation founded by Akin Falay. Falay founded the company after dissolving his partnership with Semih Sohtorik in Semih Sohtorik Management and Agency (SSMA). Falay, born in 1943, is a graduate of the Law School of the University of Istanbul. He previously worked for Istanbul's Koctuc Line and in New York for eight years as the Thule Ship Agency. He joined SSMA in 1977.
Cornships' fleet initially consisted of three vessels, and now has seven. The ships, categorized as minibulkers, range from 8,038 metric tons deadweight (DWT) and 9,653 DWT. All the ships were built in the 1980s. The cargo holds are shaped to admit intermodal containers (shipping containers), and feature large open hatchcovers, as well as tween-decks that are hinged and fold up. The ships also all feature cargo cranes with a 50 metric ton capacity. The ships are given names beginning with the word Corn, for example Corn Rose and Corn Diva.
The fleet is broken down into two classes, the Corn Lilly class and the slightly smaller Corn Brook class. The former consists of five ships, built between 1986 and 1988. These have a capacity of 9,653 DWT, a gross tonnage of 5,974 tons, and a length overall of 113 metres (371 ft).
The Cornships fleet has worked in the worldwide arena, but specializes in the Europe, Mediterranean, Black Sea and West African markets. The company deals in cargoes such as pipe, projects, bulk-bagged cocoa, steel, bagged and general cargoes.
- Cornships (2007-05-27). "Home". Cornships Management and Agency Inc.. http://www.cornships.com/index.htm. Retrieved 2008-04-21.
- Semih Sohtorik Management and Agency (SSMA). "Semih Sohtorik Management and Agency History". SSMA Website. SSMA. http://abone.turk.net/SSMA/hst.htm. Retrieved 2008-04-23. [dead link]
- Cornships Management and Agency Inc.. "Fleet". Cornships Management and Agency Inc.. http://www.cornships.com/fleet.htm. Retrieved 2008-04-23.
- Cornships Management and Agency Inc.. "Personnel". Cornships Management and Agency Inc.. http://www.cornships.com/personnel.htm. Retrieved 2008-04-23.
- Cornavin Shipping Ltd.. "Ship Positions". Cornavin Shipping Ltd.. http://www.cornavin.co.uk/positions.htm. Retrieved 2008-04-23.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Bulk carrier — The Sabrina I is a modern Handymax bulk carrier. Class overview Name: Freighter Subclasses … Wikipedia
Corn rose — may refer to: Plants Agrostemma, also known as corn cockle Papaver rhoeas, also known as corn poppy Other Corn Rose, a cargo ship; see Cornships Management and Agency See also Rose (disambiguation) … Wikipedia