Doc at the Radar Station
Doc at the Radar Station Studio album by Captain Beefheart Released August 1980 Recorded Sound Castle Recording Studios, LA June 1980 Genre Experimental rock, blues rock, alternative rock Length 38:52 Label Virgin Producer Don Van Vliet Captain Beefheart chronology Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller)
Doc at the Radar Station
Ice Cream for Crow
Professional ratings Review scores Source Rating Allmusic  Rolling Stone Album Guide (1992) ISBN 0-679-73729-4 Down Beat  Los Angeles Times (Favorable) New York Times (Favorable)
Doc at the Radar Station is the eleventh studio album by Captain Beefheart and The Magic Band, released in August 1980 to favorable reviews. The painting on the album cover is by Don Van Vliet himself. It was placed at number forty-nine on Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Album Covers.
Although about half of the album's songs are based on old musical ideas, Mike Barnes states that "most of the revamping work built on skeletal ideas and fragments that would have mouldered away in the vaults had they not been exhumed and transformed into full-blown, totally convincing new material."
All tracks written by Don Van Vliet
- "Hot Head" – 3:23
- "Ashtray Heart" – 3:25
- "A Carrot Is as Close as a Rabbit Gets to a Diamond" – 1:38
- "Run Paint Run Run" – 3:40
- "Sue Egypt" – 2:57
- "Brickbats" – 2:40
- "Dirty Blue Gene" – 3:51
- "Best Batch Yet" – 5:02
- "Telephone" – 1:31
- "Flavor Bud Living" – 1:00
- "Sheriff of Hong Kong" – 6:34
- "Making Love to a Vampire with a Monkey on My Knee" – 3:11
- Don Van Vliet (Captain Beefheart) - vocals, Chinese gongs, harmonica, soprano saxophone, bass clarinet
- Jeff Moris Tepper - slide guitar, guitar, nerve guitar
- Eric Drew Feldman - synthesizer, bass, mellotron, grand piano, electric piano
- Robert Arthur Williams - drums
- Bruce Lambourne Fowler - trombone
- John French - slide guitar, guitar, marimba, bass, drums
- Gary Lucas - guitar, French horn
- ^ Huey, S. (2011 [last update]). "Doc at the Radar Station - Captain Beefheart | AllMusic". allmusic.com. http://www.allmusic.com/album/r3301. Retrieved 22 July 2011.
- ^ Carman (2011 [last update]). "The Captain Beefheart Radar Station - Doc At The Radar Station". beefheart.com. http://www.beefheart.com/datharp/reviews/docrev1.htm. Retrieved 22 July 2011.
- ^ Matsumoto, J. (2011 [last update]). "The Captain Beefheart Radar Station - Doc At The Radar Station". beefheart.com. http://www.beefheart.com/datharp/reviews/docrev2.htm. Retrieved 22 July 2011.
- ^ Palmer, R. (2011 [last update]). "The Captain Beefheart Radar Station - Doc At The Radar Station". beefheart.com. http://www.beefheart.com/datharp/reviews/docrev3.htm. Retrieved 22 July 2011.
- ^ Barnes, Mike. Captain Beefheart: The Biography. London: Quartet Books, 2000.
- Lyrics, reviews and details at the Captain Beefheart Radar Station
Captain Beefheart and The Magic Band Studio albums EPs Live albumsBongo Fury · I'm Going to Do What I Wanna Do: Live at My Father's Place 1978 CompilationsGrow Fins: Rarities 1965–1982 Singles Related articles
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
The Magic Band — Captain Beefheart Captain Beefheart Alias Don Van Vliet Nom Don Glen Vliet Naissance 15 janvier 1941 à Glendale (Californie) ( États Unis) … Wikipédia en Français
Radar — For other uses, see Radar (disambiguation). A long range radar antenna, known as ALTAIR, used to detect and track space objects in conjunction with ABM testing at the Ronald Reagan Test Site on Kwajalein Atoll … Wikipedia
The Blues Brothers (film) — Infobox Film name = The Blues Brothers caption = IMDb 7.9/10 (49,015 votes) director = John Landis producer = Bernie Brillstein George Folsey Jr. David Sosna Robert K. Weiss writer = Dan Aykroyd John Landis starring = John Belushi Dan Aykroyd… … Wikipedia
The Freeze — For the peace organisation, see Peace Action Infobox musical artist 2 Name = The Freeze Img capt = The Freeze 2007 Background = group or band Origin = Cape Cod/Boston, Massachusetts Instruments = Guitar, Vocals, Bass, Drums Genre = Hardcore punk… … Wikipedia
The Centurions (TV series) — Centurions redirects here. For other uses, see Centurion (disambiguation). The Centurions Genre Animation Action Voices of Voice cast Theme music composer Udi Harpaz Cou … Wikipedia
The O.C. — This article is about the FOX television series. For the location from which the series derives its name, see Orange County, California. The O.C. Intertitle Card Seasons 3 4 Format Teen … Wikipedia
Captain Beefheart & The Magic Band — Captain Beefheart Captain Beefheart Alias Don Van Vliet Nom Don Glen Vliet Naissance 15 janvier 1941 à Glendale (Californie) ( États Unis) … Wikipédia en Français
Timeline of the 2008 South Ossetia war — The 2008 South Ossetia war started on August 7, 2008 and involves Georgia, Russian Federation, South Ossetia and Abkhazia.Military conflict TimelineThe tensions have been escalating through the year of 2008, but the countdown to the open… … Wikipedia
Point Arena Air Force Station — Infobox Military Structure name=Point Arena Air Force Station partof=Aerospace Defense Command location= coordinates=coord|40.333722| 124.10104|type:landmark|display=inline|format=dms caption= type=Long Range Radar Site code= built= builder=… … Wikipedia
Empire Air Force Station — is a former United States Air Force Aerospace Defense Command (ADC) long range radar site located about a mile south of Empire, Michigan.The radar site was operated by the 752nd Aircraft Control and Warning (AC W) squadron, starting in late 1951 … Wikipedia