National Organization of Circumcision Information Resource Centers
National Organization of Circumcision Information Resource Centers Founder(s) Marilyn Milos et al Type Educational nonprofit organization Founded 1985, in Corte Madera, California Location San Anselmo, California Focus Genital modification and mutilation Mission To secure the birthright of [all] children and babies to keep their sex organs intact. Motto Making a safer world for children Website 
The organization was founded in 1985 by registered nurse Marilyn Milos, who remains the director today. The organization was the first national clearinghouse in the United States for information about circumcision. In its first decade, NOCIRC grew into an international network and now has over 110 centers worldwide, including at least seventeen outside of the U.S. It is a member of the International Coalition for Genital Integrity (ICGI).
NOCIRC opposes the non-therapeutic circumcision of children. The organization suggests that circumcision be performed only when it is absolutely medically necessary and after alternative non-invasive therapies have failed, or when an adult gives consent, after he has been fully informed about the risks and harm of the procedure. NOCIRC also provides material on their view of circumcision and care of the foreskin. NOCIRC states that their position is based on the understanding that there is not a national or international health association in the world that recommends routine infant circumcision, yet declare that they hold the medical community accountable for "misconstruing the scientific database available on human circumcision in the world today". In a 1996 press release, NOCIRC stated that "We expect this professional organization [the American Academy of Pediatrics] that is concerned with the health of infants and children to reveal the harm of genital cutting and to protect every child's birthright to keep his or her sex organs intact." The American Academy of Pediatrics said in 1999 that the perceived benefits of circumcision are not sufficient to recommend routine neonatal circumcision, but that it should be the decision of informed parents.
NOCIRC publishes a number of brochures for parents, providing their recommendations about infant circumcisions, penile care and several related topics. NOCIRC also distributes an annual newsletter to its members. Most of the organization's material is directly available on their website.
Since 1989 NOCIRC has sponsored and organized international symposia on circumcision, human rights, and genital integrity. The most recent symposium was the eleventh international symposium in July 2010 at the University of California at Berkeley. The following list details the history of NOCIRC's circumcision symposia:
- First International Symposium on Circumcision: Anaheim, California; March 1-3, 1989.
- Second International Symposium on Circumcision: San Francisco, California; April 30-May 3, 1991.
- Third International Symposium on Circumcision: University of Maryland, College Park, Maryland; May 22-25, 1994.
- Fourth International Symposium on Sexual Mutilations: University of Lausanne, Switzerland; August 9-11, 1996.
- Fifth International Symposium on Sexual Mutilations: Oxford, England; August 5-7, 1998.
- Sixth International Symposium on Genital Integrity: University of Sydney, Australia; December 7-9, 2000.
- Seventh International Symposium on Human Rights & Bodily Integrity: Georgetown University, Washington, D.C.; April 4-7, 2002.
- Eighth International Symposium on Circumcision & Human Rights: University of Padua, Italy; September 2-4, 2004.
- Ninth International Symposium on Circumcision, Genital Integrity & Human Rights: University of Washington, Seattle, Washington; August 24-26, 2006.
- Tenth International Symposium on Circumcision, Genital Integrity & Human Rights: Keele University, England; September 4-6, 2008.
- Eleventh International Symposium on Circumcision, Genital Integrity & Human Rights: University of California, Berkeley, Berkeley, California; July 29-31, 2010.
NOCIRC has been criticised by some circumcision advocates, who believe that campaigns against circumcision use distortions in an attempt to discredit doctors. Dr. Edgar Schoen, who presents pro-circumcision information to parents and at one time was the chair of the American Academy of Pediatrics task force on circumcision, has said, "These activist organizations, particularly NOCIRC, mainly using anecdotes and testimonials, have gained a good deal of media attention and have had a misguided influence in discouraging newborn circumcision, particularly in middle class educated parents."
- ^ a b c "About NOCIRC". http://nocirc.org/about.php. Retrieved 2006-07-14.
- ^ "NOCIRC Centers". http://nocirc.org/centers/centers.php. Retrieved 2006-07-14.
- ^ "International Coalition for Genital Integrity". http://www.icgi.org. Retrieved 2006-07-14.
- ^ a b "Declaration of the First International Symposium on Circumcision". NOCIRC. 1989-03-03. http://www.nocirc.org/declare.php. Retrieved 2006-07-14.
- ^ "AAP's new task force on circumcision to receive information from NOCIRC". NOCIRC. 1996-09-27. http://www.nocirc.org/press/pr092796.php. Retrieved 2006-07-14.
- ^ American Academy of Pediatrics (March 1999). "Circumcision Policy Statement". Pediatrics 103 (3): 686–693. doi:10.1542/peds.103.3.686. ISSN 0031-4005. PMID 10049981. http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/103/3/686.
- ^ http://www.nocirc.org/symposia/first/
- ^ http://www.nocirc.org/symposia/second/
- ^ http://www.nocirc.org/symposia/third/
- ^ http://www.nocirc.org/symposia/fourth/
- ^ http://www.nocirc.org/symposia/fifth/
- ^ http://www.nocirc.org/symposia/sixth/symposium.pdf
- ^ http://www.nocirc.org/symposia/seventh/symposium.pdf
- ^ http://www.nocirc.org/symposia/eighth/symp04.pdf
- ^ http://www.nocirc.org/symposia/ninth/symposium.pdf
- ^ http://www.nocirc.org/symposia/tenth/symposium08.pdf
- ^ http://www.nocirc.org/symposia/eleventh/symposium2010web.pdf
- ^ "Presentation of Anticircumcision groups". Medicirc.org. http://www.medicirc.org/meditopics/anti-circ/more_info_groups.html. Retrieved 2006-07-14.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
National Organization of Circumcision Information Resource Centers — Contexte général Zone d’influence États Unis Fiche d’identité Fondateur … Wikipédia en Français
Circumcision — This article is about male circumcision. For female circumcision, see Female genital mutilation. Circumcision Intervention Circumcision being performed in central Asia, possibly Turkmenistan c. 1865–1872. Restored albumen … Wikipedia
Circumcision controversies — This article is about male circumcision. For female circumcision, see Female genital mutilation. For the female circumcision controversy in Kenya, 1929–1931, see Female circumcision controversy. Male circumcision has often been, and remains, the… … Wikipedia
Opposition to circumcision — has occurred throughout history. The Ancient Greeks valued the foreskin and were opposed to circumcision; the Romans past laws banning the procedure. Opposition of a different kind was spawned with the advent of routine infant circumcision in the … Wikipedia
Medical analysis of circumcision — Numerous medical studies have examined the effects of male circumcision with mixed opinions regarding the benefits and risks of the procedure. Opponents of circumcision say it is medically unnecessary, is unethical when performed on newborns, is… … Wikipedia
Prevalence of circumcision — Map published by the United Nations (WHO/UNAIDS) showing percentage of males who have been circumcised, at a country level. Data was provided by MEASURE DHS and other sources.[ … Wikipedia
Marilyn Milos — Marilyn Fayre Milos Born March 22, 1940 (1940 03 22) (age 71) San Mateo, California Nationality American Occupation Former registered nurse Know … Wikipedia
Circoncision — effectuée en Asie centrale, (probablement au Turkménistan) 1865 1872. La circoncision (latin : circumcisio, « couper autour ») désigne, dans sa forme la plus répandue, l’ablation totale ou partielle du prépuce, laissant ainsi le… … Wikipédia en Français
Human rights — Rights Theoretical distinctions Natural and legal rights Claim rights and liberty rights Negative and positive rights Individual an … Wikipedia
NORM-UK — Type Health charity Registration No. Registered Charity No. 1072831 Founded 1994 Location Stone, Staffordshire Key people Dr John Warren (chairman) Area served … Wikipedia