Company Name Common Cents Founders Teddy Gross and Nora Gross Key People Teddy Gross and Judith Shapiro Founded 1991 Location New York City Type Non-Profit Homepage Common Cents Website
Common Cents is a national educational, not-for-profit organization, which specializes in creating and managing service-learning programs for young people between the ages of four and 14. Common Cent's most popular and best known program is The Penny Harvest, the largest child philanthropy program in the United States.
Other Common Cents programs include the Student Community Action Fund (a high school leadership council.)
Common Cents grew from the desire of a four-year-old Nora Gross (Co-Founder) to feed a homeless man in 1990. That need led her to ask her father (Teddy Gross Co-Founder and Executive Director), how she could help. In 1990, Teddy Gross and Nora Gross conducted the first Penny Harvest in an effort to collect money to feed and clothe New York City's homeless.
The organization's co-founder and Executive Director is Teddy Gross.
Common Cents receives major funding from several major foundations and the government including: The Ford Foundation, Foundation for Jewish Community, JPMorgan Chase, The New York City Council, The New York City Department of Education.
Board of directors
- Judith Shapiro (Chair), retired president of Barnard College, New York, NY
- Susan Andersen, professor of psychology, New York University New York, NY
- Margi Booth, president, M. Booth & Associates, Inc., New York, NY
- Elizabeth Campbell, Vice President for Programs, Rockefeller Brothers Fund, New York, NY
- Jonathan Dorfman, Citi Alternative Investments (CAI) - Global Fixed Income, New York, NY
- Gardner Dunnan, New York, NY
- Jon Goldman, Chairman & CEO, iContaqt, Venice, CA
- Laird Grant, Retired Managing Director and Senior Portfolio Manager, US Trust Company, New York, NY
- Nora Gross, Co-Founder Common Cents, New York, NY; Director, Writing & Media Center, North Lawndale College Prep Charter High School, Chicago, IL
- Teddy Gross, Co-Founder & Executive Director, Common Cents, New York, NY
- Evelyn Lipper, M.D., Associate Professor of Clinical Pediatrics, Weil Medical College of Cornell University, New York, NY
- Jeanne Mininall, Retired Managing Director & Associate General Counsel, JPMorgan Chase, New York, NY
- Michael Pohly, Portfolio Manager- Fixed Income, Kingdom Capital, New York, NY
- Adam Rich, Senior Government Relations Associate, Law Offices of Claudia Wagner, New York, NY
- James Seuss, CEO, Cole Haan, New York, NY
- Molly Tschang, Managing Director, International Programs, Cisco Systems, New York, NY
- Stephen Youngwood, Senior Vice President Entertainment Products, Nickelodeon, New York, NY
- ^ Lauffer, Armand (1997). Grants, Etc.. SAGE. pp. 225–226. ISBN 0803954697. http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=aQhTtpewGtEC&pg=PA226&dq=%22Common+cents%22+%2Bcharity&num=100&sig=Zi6yk20YEGgJTOmYLBSWHDx-_8w#PPA226,M1.
- ^ "Inspiring Oprah's charity". The Daily Princetonian. 2007-09-19. http://www.dailyprincetonian.com/archives/2007/09/19/news/18628.shtml. Retrieved 2008-04-16.
- ^ Roberts, Sam (1990-12-24). "A Way to Help, with a Penny and a Thought". The New York Times. http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C0CE6D7153DF937A15751C1A966958260. Retrieved 2008-04-16.
- ^ "Tens Of Millions Of Pennies For Charity Gathered From Huge Pile". NY1. 2008-04-14. http://www.ny1.com/ny1/content/index.jsp?&aid=77116&search_result=1&stid=1. Retrieved 2008-04-16.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Common ethanol fuel mixtures — Summary of the main ethanol blends used around the world There are several common ethanol fuel mixtures in use around the world. The use of pure hydrous or anhydrous ethanol in internal combustion engines (ICE) is only possible if the engine is… … Wikipedia
Common coin errors — An error coin is a coin that is minted abnormally. Many different types of errors can occur during the minting process. The following are some of the most common error types. Numismatic value of error coinsMost error coins demand a premium when… … Wikipedia
common stock — N UNCOUNT Common stock refers to the shares in a company that are owned by people who have a right to vote at the company s meetings and to receive part of the company s profits after the holders of preferred stock have been paid. [AM, BUSINESS]… … English dictionary
Street Cents — as one of the inspirations for Street Cents . SC won several Gemini Awards and even an International Emmy for Best Youth Programming or Series. The series was lauded by critics for its efforts to be inclusive and representative of Canada s… … Wikipedia
The Penny Harvest — The Penny Harvest, an educational program created by the not for profit Common Cents, engages students in Youth Philanthropy – fundraising, grant making and service – with the goal of developing their generosity and moral character as well as… … Wikipedia
Commodore Perry School District — located in northern Mercer County Address 3002 Perry Highway Pennsylvan … Wikipedia
Mid Valley School District — Location Throop, Pennsylvania Lackawanna County, Pennsylvania United States … Wikipedia
Penny debate in the United States — 1959 US cent, first year mint with Lincoln Memorial design on reverse. A debate exists within the United States government, and American society at large, over whether the one cent coin, commonly known as the penny, should be eliminated as a unit … Wikipedia
Dover Area School District — Address 2 School Lane Dover, Pennsylvania, York, 17315 … Wikipedia
State College Area School District — We are the future! Type and location Type Public Country United States … Wikipedia