Dave Stogner Birth name David Stout Stogner Also known as West Coast King of Western Swing Born May 15, 1920
St. Jo, Texas, U.S.
Died May 17, 1989(aged 69)
Fresno, California, U.S.
Genres Western swing Occupations Musician, Bandleader, Radio & TV host Instruments Vocals, Guitar, Fiddle, Mandolin Years active 1940s-1980s Labels 4 Star - Decca Associated acts North Texas String Band - Dave Stogner and The Western Rhythmaires
David Stout "Dave" Stogner (1920–1989) was one of the premier Western swing musicians playing on the West Coast. Known as the "West Coast King of Western Swing", Stogner moved to California to pursue a musical career with the encouragement from fellow Texan, Milton Brown.
Although famous for his long-time big band, The Western Rhythmaires, his first band was called The Arkansawyers. Dave Stogner and The Western Rhythmairs hosted a show at the Big Fresno Barn Dance for more than ten years in the 1950s. Stogner recorded for Four Star Records, Decca and Mosrite Records. He co-wrote the song Black Cat Stomp with Joe Holley. Stogner and his band appeared on television and radio shows throughout the San Joaquin Valley including a show on Channel 17 in Bakersfield in the early 1960s.
At least one author described Stogner's sound as "hard driving hillbilly".
Throughout his long career, in addition to his many hit recordings, Stogner wrote, and co-wrote, several songs including "Hard Top Race" in 1953. Stogner was elected to the Western Swing Hall of Fame in Sacramento in 1988.
National and Regional Sponsors
During the 1950s Dave Stogner and his band hosted TV shows in Fresno. His show on the ABC affiliate station was sponsored by Coca-Cola exclusively. During that time Coke sponsored Dave's show on the west coast and the Eddie Fisher Show on the east coast.
Regional sponsors included Dave's own brand of western style boots, "The Official Dave Stogner Boot".
A compilation album of many of Dave's recordings for Decca and 4Star are available online at CDBaby. Or see his memorial page at the Rockabilly Hall of Fame website.
- ^ Ginell, Milton Brown and the Founding of Western Swing, p. 254: "Dave Stogner did indeed become a musician. With Milton Brown as his idol and inspiration, Stogner moved to central California, where he formed a popular western swing band in Fresno."
- ^ Haslam, Workin' Man Blues, p. 90: "Elwin Cross and the Arizona Rambles was an important band in part because Cross hired to future stalwarts, Bill Wood and Dave Stogner. Woods later formed his own Texas Stars and Stogner started the Arkansawyers."
- ^ Workin' Man Blues - Country Music in California. Gerald W. Haslan. University of California Press. 1999. page 97. ISBN 0-520-21800-0.
- Ginell, Gary; Roy Lee Brown. Milton Brown and the Founding of Western Swing. University of Illinois Press, 1994. ISBN 0-252-02041-3
- Haslam, Gerald W.; Alexandra R. Haslam; Richard Chon. Workin' Man Blues: Country Music in California. University of California Press, 1999. ISBN 0520218000
- Dave Stogner—Kern County Museum.
- Dave Stogner—Sponsored by Viola Stogner.
- Only A Memory Away - The Dave and Vi Stogner Story—Corralitos California History.
- National Big Fesno Barn Dance—KFSR FM 90.7.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Dave Pine — Member of the San Mateo County Board of Supervisors representing District 1 Incumbent Assumed office … Wikipedia
Western Swing — Le Western Swing est un style de musique populaire qui a évolué dans les années 1920 dans le Sud Ouest américain. Essentiellement une excroissance du jazz, consistant en une combinaison éclectique de musiques rurales, de cow boy, polka, et la… … Wikipédia en Français
Kaye Adams — Kay Adams (born April 9, 1941) is an American country singer.In the 1960s, Adams arrived on the country scene with the songs Six Days A Waiting, Old Heart Get Ready, Anymore, Don t Talk Trouble To Me, Trapped, Roll Out The Red Carpet, I Cried At… … Wikipedia
Western swing — El Western swing es un subgenero de música campera originada en el suroeste de Estados Unidos en la década de los años 20, entre los grupos populares de música del oeste partiendo de la influencia del jazz.    … Wikipedia Español
WTVD — Infobox Broadcast call letters = WTVD station station slogan = Breaking News. Breaking Stories. station branding = ABC 11 (general) ABC 11 Eyewitness News (newscasts) analog = 11 (VHF) digital = 52 (UHF) subchannels = 11.1: WTVD HD 11.2: First… … Wikipedia
Volcom — Infobox Company company name =volcom foundation = 1991 company company type = Public (nasdaq|VLCM} key people = Richard Wooly Woolcott, Founder, CEO Douglas P. Collier, CFO Jason W. Steris, COO Troy C. Eckert, VP Marketing Tom D. Ruiz, SVP Sales… … Wikipedia