Morgan, Vermont — Town — Coordinates: Coordinates: Country United States State Vermont County Orleans Chartered November 6, 1780 Area - Total 33.9 sq mi (87.7 km2) - Land 31.3 sq mi (81.0 km2) - Water 2.6 sq mi (6.8 km2) Elevation 1,384 ft (506 m) Population (2000) - Total 669 - Density 21.4/sq mi (8.3/km2) - Households 247 - Families 185 Time zone EST (UTC-5) - Summer (DST) EDT (UTC-4) ZIP code 05853 Area code(s) 802 FIPS code 50-46450 GNIS feature ID 1462275
The town was named for John Morgan, a landholder.
The first settler was Nathan Wilcox in 1800.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 33.9 square miles (87.7 km2), of which, 31.3 square miles (81.0 km2) of it is land and 2.6 square miles (6.8 km2) of it (7.71%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 669 people, 247 households, and 185 families residing in the town. The population density was 21.4 people per square mile (8.3/km2). There were 672 housing units at an average density of 21.5 per square mile (8.3/km2). The racial makeup of the town was 98.21% White, 0.30% African American, 0.60% Native American, 0.15% Asian, 0.15% from other races, and 0.60% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.90% of the population.
There were 247 households out of which 35.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 61.9% were married couples living together, 8.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 25.1% were non-families. 18.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 4.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.71 and the average family size was 3.03.
In the town the population was spread out with 29.4% under the age of 18, 4.0% from 18 to 24, 27.2% from 25 to 44, 28.1% from 45 to 64, and 11.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 108.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 95.0 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $37,292, and the median income for a family was $42,344. Males had a median income of $28,542 versus $18,125 for females. The per capita income for the town was $15,565. About 10.9% of families and 15.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 20.7% of those under age 18 and 14.9% of those age 65 or over.
- Selectman (2007–2010) - Robie Guyer
- Agent - Jane Malgeri
- Delinquent Tax Collector - Jim Judd
- Auditor - Donna Young
- Lister - Deanna Keenan
- Road Commissioner - Shawn Austin
- Grand Juror - Cyrus Benson
- Grand Juror - Jane Malgeri
- Cemetery Commissioner (2007–2012) - Robert Cargill
- First Constable - Robert Cain
- Second Constable - Greg Wood
The local school district supports the E. Taylor Hatton Elementary School.
- Member, School Board (2007–2010) - Kelly Paul
- Member, North Country School District - Mary Roy
- Budget - $561,000
Ninety percent of those registered turned out to vote in the 2008 general election, highest in the county. 
- ^ a b "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder.census.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ^ "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. http://geonames.usgs.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ^ Vermont Villages, Towns, Counties
- ^ "Profile for Morgan, Vermont". ePodunk. http://www.epodunk.com/cgi-bin/genInfo.php?locIndex=278253. Retrieved 2010-05-09.
- ^ Catalogue of the Principal Officers of Vermont
- ^ Gazetteer of Lamoille and Orleans Counties, VT.; 1883-1884, Compiled and Published by Hamilton Child; May 1887
- ^ The largest is Willoughby Lake
- ^ Johnson, Charles W. (1984). The Nature of Vermont. University Press of New England.
- ^ Voter support school budget, keep woodlot, The Chronicle, March 7, 2007, page 25
- ^ Voter turnout. the Chronicle. November 5, 2008.
Municipalities and communities of Orleans County, Vermont City Towns Villages Unincorporated
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Morgan (Vermont) — Morgan Pueblo de los Estados Unidos … Wikipedia Español
Vermont locations by per capita income — Vermont has the twenty fifth highest per capita income in the United States of America, at $20,625 (2000). Its personal per capita income is $30,740 (2003).Vermont counties ranked by per capita incomeThere are fourteen counties located in Vermont … Wikipedia
Morgan — may refer to: Contents 1 People 2 Places 3 Other uses of the name … Wikipedia
Morgan — steht für: Morgan (Name), walisischer Vor und Familienname – dort auch Namensträger Morgan, Urvolk auf einer Insel vor Thailand, siehe Moken Morgan (Pferd), eine Pferderasse eine Maßeinheit für genetische Distanzen, siehe centiMorgan Morgan le… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Morgan horse — A Morgan Horse Distinguishing features Compact, muscular but refined build, clean cut head, well arched neck. Country of origin United States Horse ( … Wikipedia
Morgan Page — Background information Birth name Morgan Wolf Page Born May 31, 1981 (1981 05 31) … Wikipedia
Morgan Covered Bridge — Carries Automobile Crosses North Branch of Lamoille River Locale Belvidere … Wikipedia
Morgan Page — Nom Morgan Page Naissance 31 mai 1981 (1981 05 31) (30 ans) Burlington (Vermont) Pays d’origine … Wikipédia en Français
Morgan Benoit — Born Morgan Benoit May 21, 1982 (1982 05 21) (age 29) Burlington, Vermont, USA Morgan Benoit (born 21 May 1980 in Burlington, Vermont, USA) is an American actor and martial artist. Benoit made his debut as bully Lupo in 200 … Wikipedia
Vermont — (Details) (Details) … Deutsch Wikipedia