- Mumbai Monorail
Info Owner MMRDA Locale Mumbai Transit type Monorail Number of lines 2 (under construction)
Number of stations 18 (under construction)
Daily ridership 125,000 (Estd.) Headquarters Mumbai Operation Began operation 2011 (Estd.) Operator(s) Larsen and Toubro and Scomi Rail Number of vehicles 15 Train length 4 coaches Headway 3 minutes Technical Electrification 750 V DC Average speed 65 km/h (40 mph) Top speed 80 km/h (50 mph) System map Depot Wadala GTB Nagar Antop Hill Acharya Atre Nagar Wadala Bridge Dadar EAST Naigaon Ambedkar Nagar Mint Colony Lower Parel Chinchpokli Jacab Circle Line 2 Planned (Chembur—Wadala)
The Mumbai Monorail (Marathi: मुंबई मोनोरेल) is a monorail system currently under construction for the city of Mumbai, India. Once completed it will be world’s second longest Monorail corridor. It is being contracted by the Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority (MMRDA) and will be the first monorail in India. Construction began in January 2009, and the first portion of the first line is scheduled to be operational by May 2012.
Vilasrao Deshmukh, the then Chief Minister of the state of Maharashtra (of which Mumbai is the capital city), cleared the notification for construction of the first monorail system in India on August 13, 2008. The system will traverse through Jacob Circle, Wadala, Mahul and Chembur, paving the way for a feeder service to the existing suburban railway network
The two shortlisted consortia to build the line were Bombardier Transportation, Reliance Energy in association with Hitachi Monorail, and Larsen and Toubro with Scomi Rail of Malaysia. On November 11, 2008, the winner was announced to be Larsen and Toubro along with Scomi, who received a 2,460 crore (US$498.89 million) contract to build and operate the monorail until 2029.
In September 2011, the MMRDA, said that did not have an immediate plan to start the construction of a second monorail in the region. They clarified that although it did not mean the are not interested in carrying out the project, it may not follow the currently planned schedule.
Expected completion by 2015
Route Length (km) Cost Chembur - Wadala - Jacob Circle (Ghadge Maharaj Chowk)† 19.54 2,716 crore (US$550.8 million) Mulund – Goregaon - Borivali 30 4,170 crore (US$845.68 million) Virar - Chikhaldongri 4.60 639.9 crore (US$129.77 million) Lokhandwala - SEEPZ - Kanjurmarg 13.14 1,826.5 crore (US$370.41 million) Thane - Mira-Bhayandar - Dahisar 24.25 3,370.8 crore (US$683.6 million)
†The first part from Wadala to Chembur (8.26 km) is to open by May 2012, with the remaining 11.28 km from Gadge Maharaj Chowk to Wadala to follow in July 2012.
Expected completion by 2021
Route Length (km) Cost Kalyan - Ulhasnagar - Dombivli 26.40 3,669.6 crore (US$744.19 million) Chembur - Ghatkopar - Kopar Khairane 16.72 3,686.3 crore (US$747.58 million) Mahape - Shil Phata - Kalyan 21.10 2,932.9 crore (US$594.79 million)
The monorail will have a top speed of 80 kilometres per hour (50 mph) and an average speed of 65 kilometres per hour (40 mph). The cost of setting up the monorail service is roughly 85 crore (US$17.24 million) per km. The capacity of the monorail is more than 500 with a four coach consist, and more than 700 with six coaches. The ratio of sitting to standing passengers is expected to be 4:1.
- ^ "MMRDA - Projects - Monorail". Mmrdamumbai.org. 2010-01-26. http://www.mmrdamumbai.org/monorail.htm. Retrieved 2010-08-25.
- ^ "Water transport slips out of MMRDA’s hands". Mumbai Mirror. http://www.mumbaimirror.com/article/2/2010082720100827025821619672d864e/Water-transport-slips-out-of-MMRDA%E2%80%99s-hands.html. Retrieved 2010-08-27.
- ^ "Mumbai Mono Rail, World’s second longest". Indiainfoline.com. 2010-09-07. http://www.indiainfoline.com/Markets/News/Mumbai-Mono-Rail-Worlds-second-longest/4925889584. Retrieved 2010-10-26.
- ^ a b "Mumbai monorail to run in two years". The Times of India. 2007-09-27. http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/2413046.cms. Retrieved 2009-03-19.
- ^ MMRDA told to finish 1st leg of Mono, Metro by next year - Times Of India
- ^ Devraj Dasgupta, TNN, Aug 14, 2008, 06.25am IST (2008-08-14). "Deshmukh makes way for 1st monorail project". Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Mumbai/Deshmukh_makes_way_for_1st_monorail_project/articleshow/3362895.cms. Retrieved 2010-08-25.
- ^ "Financial bids for Mumbai Monorail project open|date=2008-06-25". Business-standard.com. 2008-06-25. http://www.business-standard.com/common/storypage_c_online.php?leftnm=10&bKeyFlag=IN&autono=40796. Retrieved 2010-08-25. [dead link]
- ^ "Scomi's Mumbai Monorail Project Takes Off". Business Times. Tue, 10 Feb 09. http://www.scomigroup.com.my/media/newsDetail.asp?intID=1127. Retrieved 2009-03-20.
- ^ "Trial run of monorail successful in Mumbai - Oneindia News". News.oneindia.in. 2010-01-26. http://news.oneindia.in/2010/01/26/trialrun-of-monorail-successful-in-mumbai.html. Retrieved 2010-08-25.
- ^ MMRDA drops second monorail plan, for now - Mumbai - DNA
- ^ you and your city - Travel in city to get easier by 2021
- ^ "Mumbai debut for Scomi rail car". Biz.thestar.com.my. 2010-01-02. http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2010/1/2/business/5398248&sec=business. Retrieved 2010-08-25.
Rapid Rail Transit in India MetroIn operationUnder ConstructionPlanned MonorailUnder ConstructionMumbai MonorailPlanned Elevated RailIn operation Monorails in India Under ConstructionMumbai Monorail Planned
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Navi Mumbai Monorail — नवी मुंबई मोनोरेल Info Owner MMRDA Locale Navi Mumbai Transit type Monorail Number of lines 2 (planned) … Wikipedia
Mumbai Metro — मुंबई मेट्रो Info Locale … Wikipedia
Mumbai Suburban Railway — Mumbai Suburban Railway मुंबई उपनगरीय रेल्वे Info … Wikipedia
Mumbai Police — मुंबई पोलिस Abbreviation (मु.पो)ll;l;l; Logo of the Mumbai Police … Wikipedia
Mumbai Harbour — neighbourhood … Wikipedia
Mumbai Port Trust — Mumbai Port A view of Mumbai harbour looking northwest Location Country India Coordinates … Wikipedia
Mumbai BRTS — Info Locale Mumbai, India Transit type Rapid transit Number of lines 14 (Currently 7) Operation Bega … Wikipedia
Mumbai Fort — is a area near Mumbai University fort campus.  Reference … Wikipedia
Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority — मुंबई महानगर प्रदेश विकास प्राधिकरण Official logo of MMRDA Agency overview Formed 26 January, 1975 Jurisdiction … Wikipedia
Mumbai — Bombay redirects here. For other uses, see Bombay (disambiguation) … Wikipedia