The Ernie Awards are an
Australian award for sexist comments.
It is named after Ernie Ecob, who was known for his sexist remarks. One of his best-known remarks was "Women aren't welcome in the shearing sheds. They're only after the sex," which is why there is a sheep on top of the Gold Ernie. [http://www.abc.net.au/thingo/txt/s1180534.htm Meredith Bergmann of the Ernie Awards]
Mondo Thingo] The inaugural awards night was in celebration of him resigning from the Labor Council of New South Wales. [http://workers.labor.net.au/87/a_guestreporter_alison.html What’s Wrong With The Ernies] Workers Online, Labor Council of New South Wales]
A dinner is held for 400 women each year, and the winner is determined by the person who receives the most booing when their sexist statement or action is read out. [http://www.theage.com.au/news/National/Sheikh-wins-gong-for-sexist-comments/2005/08/12/1123353483833.html Sheikh wins gong for sexist comments]
The Age, August 12, 2005]
A variety of categories have featured, such as the Gold Ernie, the Warney (for sport, named after
Shane Warne), the Media Ernie, the Political Ernie, the Judicial Ernie, the Anon (for boys behaving better, formerly called the Gareth after Gareth Evans[http://workers.labor.net.au/152/c_tradeshall_ernie.html The Importance of Being Ernie] Workers Online, Labor Council of New South Wales] ), the Elaine (for females making comments unhelpful to the sisterhood, named after Elaine Nile) and the Clinton (for repeat offenders). The categories of offenders have changed over the years, according to Meredith Burgmann[http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2007/nov/11/australia.gender Sheilas put the mockers on ockers] The Observer, November 11, 2007]
Joe De Bruyn, National Secretary, Shop, Distributive and Allied Employees Association, "All childcare subsidies should be removed and reallocated to women who stayed home to mind their children"
* 1994: Terry Griffiths, former New South Wales Liberal minister: (in response to allegations of sexually harassing his staff) "I honestly believe that my personal behaviour was in a family mode. They're like my own kids. I'm a toucher...I have a habit of touching people in that regard. I'm old fashioned."
* 1995: Justice
John Gallop, Australian Capital Territory Supreme Court: (upon imposing a bond upon a man convicted of raping a 12-year old girl), "Our jails would be full if we locked up everyone who did this,"
* 1996: Magistrate
Ron Gething, Magistrates Court of Western Australia: (upon finding a man not guilty of stalking a woman for seven years), "I don't think he was intimidating her, he was just being persistent. He was like a little puppy dog wagging its tail."
* 1997: Michael Knight, New South Wales state Minister for the Olympics: (on why there were no women on the board of the
Sydney Organising Committee for the Olympic Games) "Appointments are made on merit, not sex."
* 1998: Judge
Nigel Clarke, District Court of Western Australia: (upon giving a two-year suspended sentence to a man for sexually abusing his daughter), "Indulgence is a pleasurable, curiosity-satisfying activity by an intelligent precocious girl."
* 1999: "Magistrate #1" (in a case reviewed by the Judicial Commission): "Women cause a lot of problems by nagging, bitching and emotionally hurting men. Men cannot bitch back for hormonal reasons, and often have no recourse but violence."
Nick Bideau, ex-coach and partner of Cathy Freeman, "I never turned away from Cathy...no matter how fat she was in 1997, and even in 1998."
John Howard, Prime Minister: said there was "no appropriate woman" for Governor-General
* 2002: Archbishop
George Pell, Catholic Archbishop of Sydney: "Abortion is a worse moral scandal than priests sexually abusing young people."
* 2003: Stellar Call Centre: for docking the pay of a pregnant woman for taking too many toilet breaks
Tooheys: for an advertisement stating "Boys, if you win you can have our sisters"
* 2005: Sheikh
Feiz Mohammad, Islamic cleric: "A victim of rape every minute somewhere in the world. Why? No one to blame but herself. She displayed her beauty to the entire world...strapless, backless, sleeveless, nothing but satanic skirts, slit skirts, translucent blouses, miniskirts, tight jeans...to tease man and appeal to his carnal nature."
P&O Cruises: for the advertising slogans "More Girls. More Sun. More Fun. There's nothing else a guy needs to know!" and "Seamen Wanted!"
Bill Heffernan. New South Wales Liberal Senator: for saying that Julia Gillardwas not qualified to lead the country because she is "deliberately barren", and later justifying it with "I won't walk away from that...so rude, crude and attractive as it was...if you're a leader, you've got to understand your community."
ilver Ernie — Industrial
Lance Jamieson, union official, for using his union-provided credit card at Sydney brothel A Touch of Class
Martin Ferguson, then president of the Australian Council of Trade Unions, for calling women unionists campaigning for paid maternity leave "hairy legged femocrats"
Labor Council of New South Wales
HPM Industries, for sacking 20 male employees whose pay was being compared to their women coworkers on the eve of Industrial Relations Commissionhearings on the matter
* 1999: [http://www.steggles.com.au/Home.htm Steggles] , for putting a woman on a roster she could not do because of her family, and opposing her case in court.
* 2001: John Elliott and Mark Mentha
* 2002: Dick Warburton
* 2003: Stellar Call Centre, for docking a pregnant woman $100 for going to the toilet too often. [http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2003/08/22/929617.htm Damir pips Shane for 'the Warney']
Australian Broadcasting Corporation, August 22, 2003]
Australia Post, for telling female workers to lose weight if they wanted to attend the opening of a new branch, and for cutting the maternity leave of a woman whose baby was premature. [http://workers.labor.net.au/234/news62_ernie.html Tony Winner Bags an Ernie] Workers oline, Labor Council of New South Wales, August 20, 2004]
Tara Anglican Girls School
P&O Cruises, for an advertisement saying "Seamen wanted", an ad mentioned in the inquest of Dianne Brimble's death. [http://www.smh.com.au/news/stay-in-touch/king-of-the-chauvinists/2006/08/24/1156012671694.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1 Well-erned awards] Sydney Morning Herald, August 25, 2006]
* 2007: Ingham chicken, for using a breast awareness week slogan in advertising its chicken breast items. [http://www.cpsu.org.au/news/4796.html Enter the CPSU Ernie Awards and win!]
Community and Public Sector Union]
ilver Ernie — Political
* 1994: Terry Griffiths
* 1997: Michael Knight
* 1998: Tony Smith and Iain Maclean
* 1999: Michael Thompson, for saying that "working mothers are the cause of many problems in society" [http://www.abc.net.au/am/stories/s48990.htm Awards for sexist comments]
Australian Broadcasting Corporation, September 3, 1999] and Queensland Young Liberals
Ron Bestand John Howard
Tony Abbottfor saying paid maternity leave would happen over his dead body. [http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200209/s675056.htm Pell takes 'Gold Ernie' for abortion, abuse comments] Australian Broadcasting Corporation, September 13, 2002]
* 2003: Brendan Smyth
John Howard, for vetoing an ad campaign against domestic violence, arguing against paid maternity leave, wanting to change the anti-discrimination act, and opposing plans by the ALP to offer the option of permanent part-time work with holiday pay and sick leave entitlements for casual workers.
* 2007: ?
ilver Ernie — Media
* 1994: Peter Smark and Bernard Zuel
* 1995: Paddy McGuinness
* 1996: Jeff Wells
John Lawsand David Barnett
* 1999: Paddy McGuinness
* 2000: D.D. McNicholl
* 2001: Mark Patrick
Ron Casey, for saying that Kirsty Marshall's breastfeeding of her infant in parliament was a publicity stunt that managed to get her "boobies splashed all over the national press".
* 2004: Paddy McGuinness for saying that many pro-abortion activists have not devoted any serious thought to the issue since the 1970s.
* 2005: Dave Richardson
* 2006: Jeff Corbett for saying that NASA had a male as well as female engineer on board in case anything went wrong.
* 2007: ?
ilver Ernie — Judicial
* 1994: Justices Bland and Bollen
* 1995: Justice
* 1996: Magistrate
* 1997: Judge
* 1998: Judge
* 1999: Magistrate #1, in response to a survey about domestic violence and apprehended violence orders, saying "hallelujah, women cause a lot of problems by nagging, bitching, and emotionally hurting men. Men cannot bitch back for hormonal reasons and often have no recourse but violence".
* 2000: Justice Kennedy
* 2001: Magistrate
High Court of Australia
* 2003: Justice
* 2004: Paul Reynolds, for saying to his client "just let me feel those puppies then" (referring to her breasts) [http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/04/25/1082831435141.html Barrister suspended after asking for sex]
The Age, April 26, 2004]
* 2005: John Dorris and Ian Harrison
* 2006: Chris Papadopoulos for saying that a rape was "at the very bottom of the scale of seriousness" and brief.
* 2007: ?
The Warney for Sport
* 2000: Nick Bideau
* 2001: Cameron Williams
* 2002: Ray Hadley
Damir Dokic, for saying that almost half of female tennis players were lesbians and that he'd kill himself if his daughter were one.
* 2004: Bulldogs chief executive Malcolm Noad, for saying "Let's believe nothing happened in Coffs Harbour," referring to a allegation of gang rape
* 2006: Grant Birse,
Netball Australiamarketing manager, for saying commentator Anne Sargeantwas "old and detrimental" to the game.
* 2007: ?
The Fred — Clerical, Culinary, Celebrity
* 2001: Archbishop Jensen
* 2002: Archbishop
George Pell, for saying that abortion was a worse moral scandal than sexual abuse of young people by priests.
* 2003: Neil Perry
* 2004: Tooheys, for an ad featuring a sign saying 'boys, if you win you can have our sisters' [http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200408/s1180909.htm 'Sexist' beer ad takes Gold Ernie gong]
Australian Broadcasting Corporation, August 20, 2004]
* 2005: Sheikh
Tom Cruise(attributed with a quote that Katie is tucked away, and that her life will thereon be about being a mother) and Peter West
* 2007: ?
The Clinton — for repeat offenders
Piers Akermanand Alan Jones
* 2007: ?
The Elaine — for women
* 1994: Wendy Jones
Blanche d'Alpuget, for saying "I do" to Bob Hawke[http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/news/books/a-portfolio-in-a-storm-of-piggery/2007/11/02/1193619143831.html A portfolio in a storm of piggery] Brisbane Times, November 3, 2007]
* 1997: Janet McDonald
Jocelyn Newman, for saying that people have other options if they can't afford childcare.
Jackie Kellyfor saying that no-one in her electorate is interested in university education as "Penrith is pram city"
The Good Ernie
* 1994: Peter Sams
Australian Manufacturing Workers Union
* 1997: Peter Cameron
* 1999: George Trumbull
Bob Debus, Matt Foley, Rob Hullsand Peter Patmore
* 2002: Carter Holt Harvey Workers
* 2003: Mark Holden
Adam Goodes, for calling his mum an inspiration and taking her to the Brownlow Medaldinner.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Ernie (disambiguation) — Ernie is a shortened form of the name Ernest* Ernie, a Muppet character on Sesame Street * Ernie (Family Guy), a giant chicken on Family Guy who is Peter Griffin s arch nemesis * Ernie (comic strip), a cartoon published in the British comic Eagle … Wikipedia
Ernie Banks — Shortstop / First baseman Born: January 31, 1931 (1931 01 31) (age 80) … Wikipedia
Ernie Anastos — Born July 12, 1943 (1943 07 12) (age 68) Nashua, New Hampshire, U.S. Residence Armonk, New York, U.S. Nationality American … Wikipedia
Ernie Manouse — (born September 1, 1969 in Binghamton, New York) is an American television interviewer and journalist. He has also worked in radio and has often appeared in print. He currently hosts the interview show InnerVIEWS with Ernie Manouse, produced by… … Wikipedia
Ernie Bushmiller — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda Ernest Paul Bushmiller, Jr. Sin imagen disponible Nombre Ernest Paul Bushmiller, Jr … Wikipedia Español
Ernie Krivda — (born February 6, 1945 in Cleveland, Ohio as Krvda Ernö) is a jazz saxophone player.Ernie Krivda began his professional career in 1963 with the Jimmy Dorsey Orchestra. During the 1960s he played in bands of two Cleveland legends, organist Eddie… … Wikipedia
Ernie Watts — (born Ernest James Watts on October 23, 1945 in Norfolk, Virginia) is an American jazz and rhythm and blues musician. He plays saxophone (tenor, alto and soprano) and flute. He might be best known for his work with Charlie Haden s Quartet West… … Wikipedia
Ernie Wakely — (born November 27, 1940 in Flin Flon, Manitoba) was a goaltender in the National Hockey League for the Montreal Canadiens and St. Louis Blues. He also played for the Winnipeg Jets, the San Diego Mariners, the Cincinnati Stingers, the Houston… … Wikipedia
Ernie Bushmiller — Ernie Bushmiller, officiellement Ernest Paul Bushmiller Jr., (New York, 23 août 1905 15 août 1982) est un auteur américain de bandes dessinées, plus particulièrement connu pour avoir créé la bande dessinée Nancy adaptée en français sous le titre… … Wikipédia en Français
Ernie Triplett — (1906 Paris, Illinois ndash; 5 March 1934 El Centro, California) was an American racecar driver. He was killed from injuries sustained in a dirt car accident.Career awards*Triplett was named to the National Sprint Car Hall of Fame in 1991.Indy… … Wikipedia