Manhole Studio album by Grace Slick Released January 4, 1974 Recorded 1973 at Wally Heider Studios, San Francisco and Olympic Studios, London Genre Rock
Label Grunt/RCA Producer Grace Slick
Keith Grant (co-producer)
Steven Schuster (co-producer)
Grace Slick chronology Baron von Tollbooth & the Chrome Nun
Professional ratings Review scores Source Rating Allmusic  Robert Christgau (C)
Manhole is Grace Slick's first solo album credited solely to her (she had previously recorded Sunfighter with Paul Kantner and Baron von Tollbooth and the Chrome Nun with Kantner and David Freiberg, both of whom co-produced Manhole). The album was recorded in 1973, when Jefferson Airplane had stopped touring, and Jorma Kaukonen and Jack Casady were making the Hot Tuna album, The Phosphorescent Rat. All the members who would form Jefferson Starship in 1974 performed on this album, except for Papa John Creach. The album was conceived as a soundtrack to a movie, (noted by the title of the second track, "Theme from the Movie Manhole"), although there was no such movie made. Grace drew all of the artwork for the album, and wrote on the cover "Child Type Odd Art by Grace." The album only reached #127 on the Billboard charts.
Right Side Up No. Title Lyrics Music Length 1. "Jay" Grace Slick Slick 2:43 2. "Theme from the Movie Manhole" Slick Slick[n 1] 15:23 Upside Down No. Title Lyrics Music Length 1. "¿Come Again? Toucan" Slick David Freiberg 4:40 2. "It's Only Music" Robert Hunter Freiberg 4:32 3. "Better Lying Down" Slick Pete Sears 3:15 4. "Epic No. 38" Paul Kantner, Slick, Jack Traylor Kantner 7:23
- ^ Left hand piano part by Ivan Wing (Grace Slick's father)
- Grace Slick – vocals on all tracks except "It's Only Music", rhythm guitar on "Jay", piano on "Theme from the Movie Manhole" and "Better Lying Down"
- Peter Kaukonen – bass on "Jay", lead acoustic guitar on "Jay", mandolin on "Theme from the Movie Manhole"
- Steven Schuster – orchestra arrangement on "Theme from the Movie Manhole" and "Epic No. 38"
- David Freiberg – vocals on "Theme from the Movie Manhole", "It's Only Music", and "Epic No. 38", rhythm guitar on "Theme from the Movie Manhole" and "¿Come Again? Toucan", piano on "¿Come Again? Toucan" and "It's Only Music", percussion on "¿Come Again? Toucan" and "It's Only Music", bass on "¿Come Again? Toucan" and "It's Only Music", organ on "It's Only Music", 12-string guitar on "It's Only Music"
- Paul Kantner – vocals on "Theme from the Movie Manhole", "It's Only Music", and "Epic No. 38", 12-string guitar on "It's Only Music", rhythm guitar on "Epic No. 38", glass harmonica on "Epic No. 38"
- David Crosby – vocals on "Theme from the Movie Manhole"
- Ron Carter – bass on "Theme from the Movie Manhole"
- Jack Casady – bass on "Theme from the Movie Manhole" and "It's Only Music"
- Craig Chaquico – lead guitar on "Theme from the Movie Manhole", "¿Come Again? Toucan", and "Epic No. 38"
- John Barbata – drums on "Theme from the Movie Manhole", "¿Come Again? Toucan", and "Epic No. 38"
- Gary Duncan – lead guitar on "It's Only Music"
- Pete Sears – piano on "Better Lying Down", bass on "Epic No. 38"
- Keith Grant – synthesizer programming on "Epic No. 38"
- London Symphony Orchestra – violins (John Georgiadis, Hans Geiger, Alan Traverse, Carlos Villa, Paul Scherman, Michael Jones, Jack Greenstone, John Ronayne, James Davis, Bernard Monshin, Fred Parrington, Denis McConnell), violas, (Kenneth Essex, John Coulling, John underwood, Alex Taylor), celli (Alan Dalziel, Bram Martin, Clive Anstee, Robin Firman), string basses (James Merrett, Keith Marjarom, Robin McGee, Chris Laurence), harp (David Snell), flutes (Jack Ellory, Chris Taylor), oboes (Terence Macdonagh, Philip Hill), bass clarinet (Frank Reidy), french horns (Andrew McGavin, Douglas Moore), trumpets (Michael Laird, George Whiting), bass trumpets (Raymond Premru, Harold Nash), bass trombone (Peter Harvey), guitar (Timothy Walker), percussion (Alan Hakin, Terence Emery, Eric Allen, Stan Barrett) on "Theme from the Movie Manhole"
- Iaian MacDonald Murray, Calum Innes, Cohn Graham, Angus McTavish, Tom Duncan, Jack Scott, Angus MacKay, William Stewart – bagpipes on "Epic No. 38"
- Grace Slick, David Freiberg, Paul Kantner – producers
- Keith Grant – co-producer, recording engineer, mixdown engineer
- Steven Schuster – co-producer
- Pat Ieraci (Maurice) – production coordinator
- Valeria Clausen, Mallory Earl, Bob Matthews – recording engineers
- Sidney Margo – orchestra contractor
- Recorded at Wally Heider's, San Francisco
- Mastered at the Lacquer Channel, Sausalito
- ^ Viglione, Joe (2011 [last update]). "Manhole - Grace Slick | AllMusic". allmusic.com. http://www.allmusic.com/album/r49535. Retrieved 17 August 2011.
- ^ Christgau, Robert (2011 [last update]). "Robert Christgau: CG: Grace Slick". robertchristgau.com. http://www.robertchristgau.com/get_artist.php?name=Grace+Slick. Retrieved 17 August 2011.
Studio albums Compilation Related articles
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Manhole (album) — Manhole est un album rock de Grace Slick sorti en 1973. L album comprend notamment le morceau Theme from the movie Manhole (bien qu il semble qu aucun film n ait jamais incorporé ce titre dans sa bande originale) d une durée de plus quinze… … Wikipédia en Français
Manhole (disambiguation) — A manhole is an opening used to gain access to sewers or other underground structures, usually for maintenance. Manhole may also refer to: Manhole (band), a metal band from Los Angeles The Manhole, a computer game Manhole (film), a 2004 Chinese… … Wikipedia
Canon (album) — Infobox Album | Name = Canon Type = compilation Artist = Ani DiFranco Released = September 11, 2007 Recorded = 1989–2007 Genre = Indie rock Folk rock Length = 140:52 Label = Righteous Babe Producer = Ani DiFranco Reviews = *Allmusic Rating|4|5… … Wikipedia
Dragon Fly (album) — This article is about the Jefferson Starship album. For other albums with similar titles, see Dragonfly (disambiguation). Dragon Fly Studio album by Grace Slick, Paul Kantner, and Jefferson Starship … Wikipedia
Flight Log (album) — Infobox Album | Name = Flight Log (1966 1976) Type = Compilation Album Artist = Jefferson Airplane Released = January, 1977 Genre = Folk rock Psychedelic rock Length = Label = Grunt Records Producer = Reviews = *Allmusic Rating|3|5… … Wikipedia
Stormy Monday (album) — Infobox Album Name = Stormy Monday Type = studio Longtype = Artist = Lou Rawls Released = 1962 Recorded = February 5 12, 1962 Capitol Studios (Los Angeles, California) Genre = R B, vocal jazz Length = 40:49 (Original LP) 45:34 (CD reissue) Label … Wikipedia
Man Alive (Everything Everything album) — Man Alive Studio album by Everything Everything Released 27 August 2010 … Wikipedia
Dreams (Grace Slick album) — Dreams Studio album by Grace Slick Released March 18, 1980 Recorded 1979 at … Wikipedia
Wundwasser (Album) — Wundwasser Studioalbum von Eisregen Veröffentlichung 2004 Label Massacre Records Format … Deutsch Wikipedia
569 (GO!GO!7188 album) — Infobox Album | Name = 569 (Go Rock) Type = studio Artist = GO!GO!7188 Released = 24 October 2007 Recorded = Genre = J rock Length = Label = BMG Japan BVCR 11109, BVCR 18104/5 Producer = Reviews = Last album = Parade (2006) This album = 569… … Wikipedia