Mercedes-Benz R171 Manufacturer DaimlerChrysler Production 2004-2011; Predecessor Mercedes-Benz R170 Class Sports car, Roadster Body style 2-door retractable hardtop
R171 represents the second generation of Mercedes-Benz SLK and is slightly larger than its predecessor the R170. The Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class is a luxury roadster built by the German manufacturer Mercedes-Benz since 1997. The name was chosen to reflect the company's intentions for the car - that it be Sportlich (sporty), Leicht (light), and Kurz (short).
Like its predecessor, the R171 featured a retractable hardtop. By the time the R171 was released, this had become an increasingly common feature in almost every newly introduced convertible, especially in Europe. The SLK was updated in 2004 with a new Formula One-inspired appearance; the new model also took design cues from the Mercedes-Benz Vision SLA concept car, presented in 2000. The vehicle was unveiled in 74th Geneva International Motor Show. Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class went on sale in Europe in 2004-03-27.
- 1 Specifications
- 2 Updates (2008-)
- 3 Tuners
- 4 References
- 5 External links
Model Years Engine (code) Power, torque@rpm SLK 200 KOMPRESSOR 2004–2008 1,796 cc (1.796 L; 109.6 cu in) I4 supercharged (M271) 163 PS (120 kW; 161 hp)@5500, 240 N·m (180 lb·ft)@3000-4000 SLK 280 2005–2009 2,996 cc (2.996 L; 182.8 cu in) V6 (M272) 231 PS (170 kW; 228 hp), 300 N·m (220 lb·ft) SLK 350 2004–2008 3,498 cc (3.498 L; 213.5 cu in) V6 (M272) 272 PS (200 kW; 268 hp)@6000, 350 N·m (260 lb·ft)@2400-5000 SLK 55 AMG 2004- 5,439 cc (5.439 L; 331.9 cu in) V8 (M113) 360 PS (260 kW; 360 hp), 510 N·m (380 lb·ft) SLK 55 AMG Black Series 2006–2008 5,439 cc (5.439 L; 331.9 cu in) V8 (M113) 400 PS (290 kW; 390 hp), 520 N·m (380 lb·ft)
*All specifications with standard equipment.
Model Years Standard Optional SLK 200 KOMPRESSOR 2004–2008 6-speed manual 5-speed automatic SLK 280 2005–2009 6-speed manual 7G-TRONIC SLK 350 2004–2008 6-speed manual 7G-TRONIC SLK 55 AMG 2004- 7G-TRONIC with AMG-SPEEDSHIFT - SLK 55 AMG Black Series 2006–2008 7G-TRONIC with AMG-SPEEDSHIFT -
Model Years 0-100 km/h (62 mph) acceleration (second) Top Speed Kerb Weight (Automatic) SLK 200 KOMPRESSOR 2004–2008 7.9* 229 km/h (142.3 mph) 1,390 kg (3,100 lb) (1,415 kg (3,120 lb)) SLK 200 KOMPRESSOR 2008- ? ? ? SLK 280 2005–2009 6.7* 250 km/h (155.3 mph)*** 1,440 kg (3,200 lb) (1,460 kg (3,200 lb)) SLK 300 2009- 6.7* 250 km/h (155.3 mph)*** 1,440 kg (3,200 lb) (1,460 kg (3,200 lb)) SLK 350 2004–2008 5.4* 250 km/h (155.3 mph)*** 1,465 kg (3,230 lb) (1,485 kg (3,270 lb)) SLK 350 2008- 5.3 250 km/h (155.3 mph)*** ? SLK 55 AMG 2004- 4.3** 250 km/h (155.3 mph)*** (1,540 kg (3,400 lb)) SLK 55 AMG Black Series 2006–2008 4.5** 250 km/h (155.3 mph)*** (1,495 kg (3,300 lb))
*Acceleration time with manual transmission.
**Acceleration time with automatic transmission.
***Electronically limited top speed. Limiter only installed on certain cars, though it's supposed to be on all of them, and is supposedly an option only available with the P30 (030) package. Non-P30 SLK55s have been observed up to 170 mph.
- 6-speed manual (SLK 200K, SLK 280, SLK 350)
- AMG bodystyling
- High capacity battery
- COMAND APS control and display system for radio/navigation
- Bi-xenon headlights with headlight washers, auto leveling. (SLK 200K, SLK 280, SLK 350, SLK 55 [adds cornering adjustment])
- CD changer in glove box (6 disc)
- Alarm system with tow-away protection
- 'Homelink' garage door opener
- Pre-installation for roof carrier systems
- Basic carrier bars
- Interior lighting package (standard SLK 350, SLK 55 AMG)
- Asphymetric mirror glass (limited markets)
- THERMOTRONIC automatic climate control
- Air Scarf: Heated air directed from the headrest to the back of the neck. (includes fabric draught stop)
- Leather or wood/leather steering wheel/shifter (excluding SLK 55 AMG)
- Parktronic parking aids (front sensors are referred to as Quickpark)
- Rain sensing wipers.
- Tire pressure loss warning system
- Heated windscreen washer
- Heated seats (standard SLK 55 AMG)
- Lowered sports suspension (only available in conjunction with 17" light alloys and tyre pressure loss warning)
- Sport Package (limited markets, not offered for SLK 55 AMG)
- Harman Kardon LOGIC7 surround sound system
- Fabric draught-stop no longer included with US cars (except with AIRSCARF option)
- Transparent draught stop
- Sirius Satellite Radio (USA only)
- Designo: Special Paint colours and leathers, choices and prices depend on region, US pricing is $8000.
- Power-folding side mirrors (limited markets)
- Handsfree phone kit
- iPod integration
- Audio input with pre-facelift COMAND, post-facelift cars have the Media Interface option
- 8 way power seats
- Lumbar adjustement (not available on SLK 55)
- Performance Package (AMG 030 Package, only for the SLK 55)
- 'Edit10n' 10 year Anniversary Package (special paint colour, red trim on the interior)
SLK Specific Modifications
- Roof controller: allows roof to be opened and closed by remote control and while driving without holding down the button. (Normally the roof can only be operated under 5 MPH.)
- LED lights: license-plate lights, signal indicators, etc. The Brake lights are already LEDs, but only the Indicators on the door mirrors are LEDs.
- CHMSL flasher (Third Brake Light Flasher): flashes the Center LED light in strobe or pulses.
- Windblocker: in some markets the car comes with a fabric mesh that fits between the roll bars to block the wind; elsewhere it is sold as part of option package. Mercedes-Benz offers a clip on acrylic glass one as an option/accessory; many other companies offer aftermarket bolt-on options.
- Sport air filters: can be ordered from the factory as a special option in some countries; many aftermarket options available.
- SLK 55
- 0-62 mph (100 km/h) quoted at 4.9 seconds but individuals have reported times of under 4.3 seconds. (Car & Driver Magazine reported 0-60 mph in 4.3 seconds.)
- Increased brake capacity. (Pre-2008-model-year cars have 6-piston front calipers with perforated and slotted rotors, and 4-piston rear calipers. Later models have a mix of brakes depending on options and market: either the original 6-piston fronts or the 4-piston fronts from the C55. Mercedes made this change not only to cut costs but also to reduce complaints about brake squeal from customers not used to high performance brakes.)
- Additional engine oil cooler (behind right-hand bumper vents)
- Lowered/stiffened suspension (springs, shocks, sway bars)
- AMG body kit, with distinctive gills in front bumpers
- Chrome-accented fog lights
- Napa leather interior
- Quad exhaust
- Smoked taillights and [CHMSL]
- SLK 55 Sport/030/P30 (an option package on top of the standard SLK 55 AMG)
- Nurburgring suspension
- Improved pads and rotors (currently the only sure way to get the pre-2008 6-piston front brakes and 4-piston rears).
- Carbon fibre interior accents
- 18-inch rims
- Upgraded steering wheel
- delimited top speed (which is actually now standard on all SLK 55s)
As of 2006 AMG has released several new models, but these are not available in all export markets:
- SLK 55 Track Sport
- SLK 55 Asia Cup
- SLK 55 'F1 Safety Car'
SLK 55 AMG Black Series (2006-2008)
It is a version with engine rated 400 PS (290 kW; 390 hp) and 520 N·m (380 lb·ft), restyled AMG front apron with large air intakes, additional transmission oil cooler and the high-performance steering gear oil cooler, Aluminum Front strut brace, new black carbon side air outlets, wider carbon fibre reinforced plastic (CRP) front fenders, CRP non-retractable hardtop, 19-inch light alloy wheels with 235/35ZR19 front and 265/30ZR19 rear tires (optional sport tires are available without extra charge), black pearl velour AMG sport bucket seats without side airbags, CF trunk Spoiler, carbon fibre door panel lining and trim parts. The vehicle has curb weight of 1,495 kg (3,300 lb), 45 kg (99 lb) lighter than the basic vehicle.
Available with 5 Speed or & 7 speed automatic transmission.
Engine performance increase comes largely from the long tube headers and a revised ECU.
The vehicle went on sale in Germany beginning in July 2006 with MSRP of €107,300 (incl. 16% VAT).
"Edition 10" (2007)
It is a version commemorating the 10th anniversary of SLK-Class vehicles. The concept vehicle originally appeared in 2006 Paris Motor show.
The original car was based on SLK 280 with 7G-TRONIC transmission, matt-grey metallic body; dark-grey painted, high-sheen light-alloy wheels in a ten-spoke design with 225/45R17 front and 245/40R17 rear tires; black leather seats and interior with silver-coloured under layer; AIRSCARF neck-level heating system, THERMOTRONIC automatic climate-control system, PARKTRONIC parking aid, COMAND system with Europe-wide navigation.
The production versions were available in SLK 200 KOMPRESSOR, SLK 280, SLK 350 models, which include 'allanite grey Magno' body, wheel and tires, and interior from the show car. AIRSCARF, THERMOTRONIC, and COMAND were offered separately.
The new R171-platform SLK was again on Car and Driver's Ten Best list for 2005, and it won the Canadian Car of the Year Best New Convertible award. Highlighting its potential appeal to women, New Zealand's Lucire magazine announced it as its 'Car to Be Seen in' for 2005.
The updated models include the new-look front bumper with a modified air-dam arrangement and a more pronounced arrow shape. The rear end was modified by introducing a diffuser-style lower section that makes the Roadster appear more powerful when viewed from behind. The larger exterior mirrors feature LED indicators with a pronounced arrow shape, while the range of light-alloy wheels is also almost entirely new. Interior was optimised to be more driver-oriented. Instrument cluster was updated to include NTG 2.5 audio and telematics with optional LINGUATRONIC voice-operated control, optional harman/kardon Logic7 sound system.
A "gullwing red" leather option, inspired by the original 300 SL gullwing, is added. Further new additions include nappa leather appointments in "natural beige", which complement the new "pale burr walnut" and "black ash grain" wood trims perfectly.
Direct steering assist system with variable steering assistance becomes an option (standard in SLK 55 AMG).
SLK 55 AMG included a new apron with a black-painted cross strut and side air outlets as well as darkened headlamps.
The vehicles went on sale in April 2008.
The vehicle was unveiled in 2008 NAIAS.
SLK 55 AMG
It includes 345x30mm brake discs, 18-inch alloy wheels with 225/40 front and 245/35 rear tyres. AMG SPEEDSHIFT 7G-TRONIC transmission shifts 10% faster than previous model.
Developed by the AMG PERFORMANCE STUDIO, AMG performance package adds following:
- AMG high-performance braking system with composite brake discs at the front wheels
- Internally ventilated and perforated composite brake discs (360x32mm) with 6-piston fixed callipers at the front
- Internally ventilated and perforated brake discs (330x26mm) with 4-piston fixed callipers at the rear
- AMG 18-inch multi-piece light-alloy wheels in a twin-spoke design, 7.5x18 rim with 225/40R18 tyres at the front and 8.5x18 rim with 245/35R18 tyres at the rear
- AMG performance suspension
- AMG performance steering wheel with smaller diameter, flattened lower section and silver-coloured aluminium shift paddles (plus aluminium trim element)
- AMG carbon-fibre trim in the interior
2LOOK Edition (2009)
It is a limited appearance package available for SLK 200 KOMPRESSOR, SLK 300 and SLK 350 models, which included calcite white, black, obsidian black metallic, or designo mystic white (300 units total for obsidian black metallic and designo mystic white) body 18-inch 5-twin-spoke titanium silver or chrome shadow alloy wheels with 225/40R18 front and 245/35R18 rear tires, discreet emblems on the wings and a draught-stop of transparent acrylic glass, nappa leather seats with the seat centre panels in white and the contoured bolsters in black, contrasting black-and-white doors and centre armrest in leather.
The vehicle was unveiled in 2009 Geneva Motor Show.
Model Years Engine Power SLK 200 KOMPRESSOR 2008- 1,796 cc (1.796 L; 109.6 cu in) I4 supercharged (M271) 184 PS (135 kW; 181 hp)@5500, 250 N·m (180 lb·ft)@2800-5000 SLK 280 2008–2009 2,996 cc (2.996 L; 182.8 cu in) V6 (M272) 231 PS (170 kW; 228 hp), 300 N·m (220 lb·ft) SLK 300 2009- 2,996 cc (2.996 L; 182.8 cu in) V6 (M272) 231 PS (170 kW; 228 hp), 300 N·m (220 lb·ft) SLK 350 2008- 3,498 cc (3.498 L; 213.5 cu in) V6 (M272) 305 PS (224 kW; 301 hp)@6500, 360 N·m (270 lb·ft)@4900 SLK 55 AMG 2004- 5,439 cc (5.439 L; 331.9 cu in) V8 (M113) 360 PS (260 kW; 360 hp)@5750, 510 N·m (380 lb·ft)@4000
In SLK 280, fuel economy was improved while CO2 emissions were reduced. In addition to power boosts on SLK 200 KOMPRESSOR and SLK 350, engine speed limit was raised to 6800rpm, with temporary boost to 7200rpm across the family (except SLK 55 AMG). Other changes include a higher compression ratio, a new intake manifold and an extensively modified valve train.
Model Year Standard Optional SLK 200 KOMPRESSOR 2008- 6-speed manual 5G-TRONIC SLK 280 2005–2009 6-speed manual 7G-TRONIC, 7G-TRONIC Sport SLK 300 2009- 6-speed manual 7G-TRONIC, 7G-TRONIC Sport SLK 350 2008- 6-speed manual 7G-TRONIC, 7G-TRONIC Sport SLK 55 AMG 2004- 7G-TRONIC with AMG SPEEDSHIFT -
Model Years 0-100 km/h (62 mph) acceleration (second) Top Speed Kerb Weight (Automatic) SLK 200 KOMPRESSOR 2008- 7.6(7.9 automatic?) 210 km/h (130 mph)*** 1,390 kg (3,100 lb) SLK 280 2005–2009 6.7* 250 km/h (160 mph)*** 1,440 kg (3,200 lb) (1,460 kg (3,200 lb)) SLK 300 2009- 6.7* 250 km/h (160 mph)*** 1,440 kg (3,200 lb) (1,460 kg (3,200 lb)) SLK 350 2008- 5.4(5.4 automatic?) 210 km/h (130 mph)*** 1,485 kg (3,270 lb)(manual) SLK 55 AMG 2004- 4.3 250 km/h (160 mph)*** (1,575 kg (3,470 lb))
*Acceleration time with manual transmission.
***Electronically limited top speed, limiter only installed on certain cars, though it's supposed to be on all of them, and is supposedly an option you only get with the P30 (030) package. Non-P30 SLK55s have been observed up to 170 mph.
In 2008-05-05, Mercedes-Benz announced the sale of 500,000th SLK-Class vehicle.
The Culture of Driving campaign includes a 'Sternschnuppe' (shooting star) TV ad telling a story of a couple on a romantic trip through the mountains in the roadster. The man in the spot - unlike his feminine 'better half' - can think only of his car and the prospects of driving on stretches of road featuring even more exciting curves.
- ^ "Press Kit: Mercedes-Benz at the 74th Geneva International Motor Show". Media.daimler.com. 2004-03-02. http://media.daimler.com/dcmedia/0-921-658575-1-806757-1-0-0-0-0-1-11702-854934-0-1-0-0-0-0-0.html?TS=1248135879309. Retrieved 2010-09-26.
- ^ "The new Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class: Celebrating its world premiere at the Geneva Motor Show". Media.daimler.com. http://media.daimler.com/dcmedia/0-921-658575-1-806669-1-0-0-0-0-1-11701-854934-0-1-0-0-0-0-0.html. Retrieved 2010-09-26.
- ^ a b c "Mercedes-Benz SLK specification sheet". .mercedes-benz.com.au. http://www2.mercedes-benz.com.au/content/australia/mpc/mpc_australia__website/en/home_mpc/passenger_cars/home/products/new_cars/slk_class_roadster_facelift/technical_data/models.0001.html. Retrieved 2010-09-26.
- ^ "With 294 kW/400 hp: exclusive, puristic special series of the Mercedes-Benz SLK 55 AMG". Media.daimler.com. 2006-06-09. http://media.daimler.com/dcmedia/0-921-658575-1-823007-1-0-0-0-0-1-11701-854934-0-1-0-0-0-0-0.html. Retrieved 2010-09-26.
- ^ "SLK "Edition 10": Showcar marking the tenth anniversary of the SLK-Class". Media.daimler.com. 2006-09-28. http://media.daimler.com/dcmedia/0-921-658575-1-825406-1-0-0-0-0-1-11702-854934-0-1-0-0-0-0-0.html?TS=1248138151906. Retrieved 2010-09-26.
- ^ "Special "Edition 10" model: an SLK-Class for the very discerning". Media.daimler.com. 2006-11-10. http://media.daimler.com/dcmedia/0-921-658575-1-826150-1-0-0-0-0-1-11701-854934-0-1-0-0-0-0-0.html. Retrieved 2010-09-26.
- ^ "The new-generation SLK: More powerful, more economical, more intense". Media.daimler.com. 2007-12-21. http://media.daimler.com/dcmedia/0-921-658575-1-1030828-1-0-0-0-0-1-11701-854934-0-1-0-0-0-0-0.html. Retrieved 2010-09-26.
- ^ "Debut appearance of compact SUV and the new-generation SLK: Mercedes-Benz celebrates a double world premiere in Detroit". Media.daimler.com. 2008-01-13. http://media.daimler.com/dcmedia/0-921-658575-1-1033597-1-0-0-0-0-1-11702-854934-0-1-0-0-0-0-0.html?TS=1248139071379. Retrieved 2010-09-26.
- ^ "SLK 55 AMG with direct-steer system and even more striking looks: Fine-tuning and yet more agility for the AMG eight-cylinder roadster". Media.daimler.com. 2008-02-04. http://media.daimler.com/dcmedia/0-921-658575-1-1043380-1-0-0-0-0-1-11702-854934-0-1-0-0-0-0-0.html?TS=1248140930746. Retrieved 2010-09-26.
- ^ "Mercedes-Benz SLK 2LOOK Edition: Contrasting black-and-white colour scheme". Media.daimler.com. 2009-03-03. http://media.daimler.com/dcmedia/0-921-658575-1-1185536-1-0-0-0-0-1-11701-854934-0-1-0-0-0-0-0.html. Retrieved 2010-09-26.
- ^ "Mercedes-Benz plant in Bremen starts production of new SLK and SL roadsters". Media.daimler.com. 2008-02-01. http://media.daimler.com/dcmedia/0-921-658575-1-1042895-1-0-0-0-0-1-11701-854934-0-1-0-0-0-0-0.html. Retrieved 2010-09-26.
- ^ "500,000 Mercedes-Benz SLK Delivered to Customers". Media.daimler.com. 2008-05-05. http://media.daimler.com/dcmedia/0-921-658575-1-1078987-1-0-0-0-0-1-11701-854934-0-1-0-0-0-0-0.html. Retrieved 2010-09-26.
- ^ ""The Culture of Driving" - New brand campaigns from Mercedes-Benz: Fascination from the "Dream Factory": First Joint Presentation of the SL, SLK, and CLS". Media.daimler.com. 2008-03-17. http://media.daimler.com/dcmedia/0-921-658575-1-1057174-1-0-0-0-0-1-11701-854934-0-1-0-0-0-0-0.html. Retrieved 2010-09-26.
- Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class (R171) specifications: engines and transmissions, chassis, bodywork and vario-roof, design, interior, safety
- Press Kit: The new Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class
- Press Kit: Intelligent dynamism - the new-generation Mercedes-Benz SLK
- Common issues and questions about the SLK - Benzworld.org
- Mercedes-Benz SLK 300 official site - Manufacturer's website
- Official AMG SLK55 site - AMG website
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Mercedes-Benz R171 — Mercedes Benz SLK класс … Википедия
Mercedes-Benz R171 — Mercedes Benz SLK 200 Kompressor (Modellpflege, seit 2008) R171 Hersteller: Daimler AG Produktionszeitraum … Deutsch Wikipedia
Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class — Manufacturer Mercedes Benz Production 1996 present … Wikipedia
Mercedes-Benz-Pkw — Mercedes Benz auf der Pkw IAA 2007 in Frankfurt Mercedes Benz ist eine Marke der Daimler AG. Dieser Artikel beschreibt die PKW Sparte von Mercedes Benz. Umgangssprachlich werden diese als „Mercedes“ oder auch als „Benz“ bezeichnet. Vor allem in… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Mercedes-Benz (PKW) — Mercedes Benz auf der Pkw IAA 2007 in Frankfurt Mercedes Benz ist eine Marke der Daimler AG. Dieser Artikel beschreibt die PKW Sparte von Mercedes Benz. Umgangssprachlich werden diese als „Mercedes“ oder auch als „Benz“ bezeichnet. Vor allem in… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Mercedes-Benz SLK — Hersteller: Mercedes Benz Produktionszeitraum: seit 1996 Klasse: Roadster Karosserieversionen: Roadster, zweitürig Vorgängermodell: keines Nachfolgemodell … Deutsch Wikipedia
Mercedes-Benz R170 — Mercedes Benz SLK (1996–2000) R170 Hersteller: DaimlerChrysler Produktionszeitraum: 1996–2004 … Deutsch Wikipedia
Mercedes-Benz SLK-класс — Mercedes Benz SLK класс … Википедия
Mercedes-Benz R230 — Mercedes Benz SL (2001–2006) R230 Hersteller: Daimler AG Verkaufsbezeichnung: SL Klasse Produktionszeitraum … Deutsch Wikipedia
Mercedes-Benz /8 — Mercedes Benz Mercedes Benz W114/W115 W114/W115 Hersteller: Daimler Benz Produktionszeitraum: 1967–1976 … Deutsch Wikipedia