Yamhill, Oregon — City — Maple Street in Yamhill Motto: A Small Taste Of Oregon Oregon Coordinates: Country United States State Oregon County Yamhill Incorporated 1891 Government – Mayor Paula Terp Area – Total 0.4 sq mi (1.0 km2) – Land 0.4 sq mi (1.0 km2) – Water 0 sq mi (0 km2) Elevation 182 ft (55.5 m) Population (2008) – Total 855 – Density 1,874.3/sq mi (766.4/km2) Time zone Pacific (UTC-8) – Summer (DST) Pacific (UTC-7) ZIP code 97148 Area code(s) 503 FIPS code 41-84250 GNIS feature ID 1166730 Website www.cityofyamhill.com
Yamhill is a city in Yamhill County, Oregon, United States. Located in the northern part of the county, it is situated at the intersection of Oregon Route 47 and Oregon Route 240. The population was 794 at the 2000 census. The 2008 estimate is 855 residents. Originally named North Yamhill, it was incorporated under that name by the Oregon Legislative Assembly on February 20, 1891.
As of the census of 2000, there were 794 people, 256 households, and 207 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,974.3 people per square mile (766.4/km²). There were 267 housing units at an average density of 663.9 per square mile (257.7/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 96.47% White, 0.25% Native American, 1.39% Asian, 0.38% from other races, and 1.51% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 4.79% of the population.
There were 256 households out of which 46.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 65.6% were married couples living together, 10.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 19.1% were non-families. 16.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 7.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.10 and the average family size was 3.43.
In the city the population was spread out with 31.7% under the age of 18, 10.7% from 18 to 24, 27.6% from 25 to 44, 22.8% from 45 to 64, and 7.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 32 years. For every 100 females there were 98.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 96.4 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $49,688, and the median income for a family was $52,344. Males had a median income of $38,661 versus $24,583 for females. The per capita income for the city was $16,745. About 5.3% of families and 5.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 6.9% of those under age 18 and none of those age 65 or over.
- Beverly Cleary, children's author; her first memoir was called A Girl from Yamhill
- Jeri Ellsworth, entrepreneur and self-taught computer chip designer
- Merle C. "Hap" Johnson (March 17, 1918 – October 9, 2007), a decorated United States Air Force colonel who served in France and Spain during World War II. He is interred in Pike Cemetery near Yamhill.
- Nicholas Kristof, columnist for the New York Times, grew up on a sheep and cherry farm in Yamhill
Residents are zoned to the Yamhill Carlton School District, headquartered in Yamhill.
- ^ a b "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder.census.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ^ "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. http://geonames.usgs.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ^ 2008: Certified Population Estimates for Oregon's Cities and Towns. Population Research Center, Portland State University. Retrieved February 22, 2009.
- ^ Baker, Frank C. (1891). "Special Laws". The Laws of Oregon, and the Resolutions and Memorials of the Sixteenth Regular Session of the Legislative Assembly Thereof (Salem, Oregon: State Printer): 992. http://books.google.com/?id=Yr2wAAAAIAAJ&dq=oregon%20legislature%20hillsboro%20incorporation&pg=PA992.
- ^ "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. http://www.census.gov/geo/www/gazetteer/gazette.html. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- ^ Wyoming Tribune-Eagle Online
- ^ "Welcome to Yamhill Carlton School District!." Yamhill Carlton School District. Retrieved on October 10, 2010. "120 N. Larch Place · Yamhill, OR 97148 "
- ^ "Welcome to Yamhill Carlton Elementary School!." Yamhill Carlton School District. Retrieved on October 10, 2010. "420 S. Third St. · Carlton, Oregon 97111"
- ^ "Welcome to Yamhill Carlton Elementary School!." Yamhill Carlton School District. Retrieved on October 10, 2010. "275 N. Maple Street · Yamhill, Oregon 97148"
- ^ "Welcome to Yamhill Carlton Intermediate School!." Yamhill Carlton School District. Retrieved on October 10, 2010. "310 E. Main St. · Yamhill, Oregon 97148"
Municipalities and communities of Yamhill County, Oregon Cities Unincorporated
Indian reservation Footnotes
‡This populated place also has portions in an adjacent county or counties
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Condado de Yamhill (Oregón) — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda El Condado de Yamhill (Oregón) es uno de los 36 condados del Estado estadounidense de Oregón. La sede del condado es McMinnville, y su mayor ciudad es McMinnville. El condado posee un área de 1.861 km² (los cuales 7… … Wikipedia Español
Yamhill — Ciudad de los Estados Unidos Distrito comercial de Yamhill … Wikipedia Español
Yamhill — is the name of a Native American tribe, part of the Kalapuya tribe, living in Oregon, United States, and several places and geographic features named after the tribe:* Yamhill County, Oregon is a county in Oregon * Yamhill, Oregon is a city in… … Wikipedia
Oregon Route 240 — For the unsigned Highway 240, see Cape Arago Highway. Oregon Route 240 Route information … Wikipedia
Oregon locations by per capita income — The following is a list of Oregon counties and places in order of per capita income. Oregon has the twenty third highest per capita income in the United States of America, at $20,940 (2000). Its personal per capita income is $29,340 (2003).… … Wikipedia
Oregon in the American Civil War — Union States in the American Civil War California Connecticut Illinois Indiana Iowa … Wikipedia
Oregon wine — Oregon (wine region) Official name State of Oregon Type U.S. state Year established 1859 Years of wine industry … Wikipedia
Yamhill-Carlton District AVA — Appellations Typ: American Viticultural Area Jahr der Gründung: 2004 Land: USA Teil der Weinbauregion: Oregon, Willamette Valley AVA … Deutsch Wikipedia
Yamhill County — Courthouse in McMinnville Verwaltung US Bundesstaat: Ore … Deutsch Wikipedia
Oregon's statewide elections, 2006 — Oregon s 2006 statewide election included a May 16 primary election and a November 7 general election. Ten statewide ballot measures were on the November ballot. The following offices were up for election: Governor, Supreme Court Position 6 (to… … Wikipedia