- Coneheads (film)
Directed by Steve Barron Produced by Lorne Michaels Written by Tom Davis
Starring Dan Aykroyd
Music by David Newman Cinematography Francis Kenny Editing by Paul Trejo Distributed by Paramount Pictures Release date(s) July 23, 1993 Running time 88 min. Country United States Language English Budget $33 million Box office $21,274,717
Coneheads is a 1993 film based on the Saturday Night Live sketches about the Coneheads. The film was directed by Steve Barron and produced by Lorne Michaels. As was the case with the previous SNL skit-inspired film The Blues Brothers, Coneheads has been said to have made an "accidental" or "unintentional" political statement or social commentary about the nature of the immigrant experience in America, the filmmakers' ostensible intent being merely to entertain.
The film stars Dan Aykroyd and Jane Curtin as Beldar and Prymaat Clorhone (who later Anglicize their Remulakian surname to "Conehead"), parents of Connie (Michelle Burke, taking over the role played by Laraine Newman on SNL). Michael McKean and David Spade play INS officials; also appearing are Sinbad and SNL alumni Phil Hartman, Jan Hooks, Tim Meadows, Jon Lovitz, Peter Aykroyd, Tom Davis, Garrett Morris, Chris Farley, Laraine Newman, Kevin Nealon, Julia Sweeney, and Adam Sandler.
Other supporting cast members include Jason Alexander and Lisa Jane Persky. Alexander's Seinfeld co-star, Michael Richards, makes a cameo appearance, as do Eddie Griffin, Joey Lauren Adams, Parker Posey, Ellen DeGeneres, Drew Carey, Dave Thomas, and Tom Arnold.
The film follows the adventures of Fuel Survey Underlord Beldar Clorhone (Aykroyd) and his wife Prymaat Clorhone (Curtin) (they later anglicize their Remulakian surname to "Conehead") as they try to assimilate into American society and pursue the immigrant's American dream. Their spacecraft was part of an advance scouting mission for an invasion, but was shot down by a F-16 fighter-interceptor of the New Jersey Air National Guard, stranding them on Earth. They live with secret identities while an INS agent tracks them incessantly over the years.
They Conehead family blend into Paramus, New Jersey and take up activities that are part and parcel of the American Dream. They also raise their teenage daughter, Connie, (Burke) who has recently begun dating. At the end of the movie, Beldar—who has grown fond of Earth—tricks his people into believing that humans are armed with dangerous weapons and so the Conehead space fleet departs Earth, leaving it unscathed.
- Dan Aykroyd as Beldar Conehead / Donald R. DeCicco
- Jane Curtin as Prymaat Conehead / Mary Margaret Rowney
- Michelle Burke as Connie Conehead
- Michael McKean as Gorman Seedling, INS Agent
- David Spade as Eli Turnbull, INS Agent
- Chris Farley as Ronnie Bradford the Mechanic
- Michael Richards as Motel Clerk
- Eddie Griffin as Customer
- Sinbad as Otto
- Phil Hartman as Marlax
- Adam Sandler as Carmine Weiner
- Mitchell Bobrow as Garthok Combatant
- Jason Alexander as Larry Farber
- Lisa Jane Persky as Lisa Farber
- Dave Thomas as Highmaster
- Laraine Newman as Laarta
- Garrett Morris as Captain Orecruiser
- Drew Carey as Taxi Passenger
- Kevin Nealon as Senator
- Jan Hooks as Gladys Johnson
- Parker Posey as Stephanie
- Joey Lauren Adams as Christina
- Julia Sweeney as Principal
- Ellen DeGeneres as Coach
- Tim Meadows as Athletic Cone
- Peter Aykroyd as Highmaster Mentot
- Jonathan Penner as Captain Air Traffic
- Whip Hubley as F-16 Pilot
- Jon Lovitz as Dr. Rudolph, dentist (uncredited)
- Tom Arnold as Golfer (uncredited) (Tom Arnold's character is the only person, in either the film or any of the sketches, to actually question the shape of Beldar's head, while everyone else remains strangely oblivious.)
Coneheads received mixed reviews from critics, where it has a 33% rating on Rotten Tomatoes.
Coneheads: Music from the Motion Picture Soundtrack Soundtrack album by Various Artists Released July 20, 1993 Genre Soundtrack Length 43:27 Label Warner Bros. Records
The soundtrack for Coneheads was released July 20, 1993.
- "Magic Carpet Ride" by Michael Monroe & Slash
- "Tainted Love" by Soft Cell
- "No More Tears (Enough Is Enough)" by Andy Bell & k.d. lang
- "Kodachrome" by Paul Simon
- "Can't Take My Eyes Off You" by Morten Harket
- "It's a Free World, Baby" by R.E.M.
- "Soul to Squeeze" by Red Hot Chili Peppers
- "Fight the Power" by Barenaked Ladies
- "Little Renee" by Digable Planets
- "Chale Jao" by Babble
- "Conehead Love" by Nan Schaefer
Films directed by Steve Barron 1980sElectric Dreams (1984) 1990s 2000s
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Coneheads — For the 1993 movie, see Coneheads (film). For the insects named conehead , see Conocephalus, or Protura. The Coneheads is a sketch on Saturday Night Live which originated on the January 15, 1977 episode, and starred Dan Aykroyd as father Beldar,… … Wikipedia
Coneheads — est un film américain réalisé par Steve Barron, sorti en 1993. Sommaire 1 Synopsis 2 Fiche technique 3 Distribution 4 Autour du film … Wikipédia en Français
Coneheads — Filmdaten Deutscher Titel: Die Coneheads Originaltitel: Coneheads Produktionsland: USA Erscheinungsjahr: 1993 Länge: 87 Minuten Originalsprache: Englisch … Deutsch Wikipedia
Die Coneheads — Filmdaten Deutscher Titel Die Coneheads Originaltitel Coneheads Produktion … Deutsch Wikipedia
Wayne's World (film) — Wayne s World Theatrical poster Directed by Penelope Spheeris Produced by … Wikipedia
1993 in film — List of years in film (table) … 1983 . 1984 . 1985 . 1986 . 1987 . 1988 . 1989 … 1990 1991 1992 1993 1994 1995 1996 … … Wikipedia
Television and film in New Jersey — There is a long history of television and film in New Jersey. Motion picture technology was invented by Thomas Edison, with early work done at his West Orange laboratory. Edison s Black Maria where the first motion picture to be copyrighted in… … Wikipedia
Man on the Moon (film) — Man on the Moon Theatrical release poster Directed by Miloš Forman Produced by … Wikipedia
The Blues Brothers (film) — Cet article concerne le film de John Landis. Pour le groupe, voir The Blues Brothers. Les Blues Brothers Données clés Titre québécois Les Frères Blues Titre original The Blues Brothers Réali … Wikipédia en Français
1997 in film — List of years in film (table) … 1987 . 1988 . 1989 . 1990 . 1991 . 1992 . 1993 … 1994 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999 2000 … … Wikipedia