- Real Men of Genius
Real Men of Genius is a popular long-running
humorous series of one- minute-long American radioadvertisements for Bud Lightbeer created by Bob Winter, a copywriter at DDB Chicago. Each sixty-second ad pays mock tribute to an "unsung hero". The series began in 1999 and was originally called Real American Heroes. The name was changed after the 9/11 attacks, as Anheuser-Busch felt that they could not morally continue to use the term "hero" in that context after so many people had performed what many felt to be genuine acts of heroism.Fact|date=September 2008 Over 100 installments in the series have been produced.Fact|date=September 2008 Winter's campaign has since become the most award-winning radio campaign in the history of advertising.Fact|date=September 2008 Television versions have also been produced of some of these spots beginning in 2003. The first two TV versions were "Mr. Footlong Hot Dog Inventor" and "Mr. Really Bad Toupee Wearer".
The ads feature an announcer (
Pete Stacker) and an unctuous rock singer who echoes the announcer's sentiments over piano music. The rock singer's vocals are by original Survivor lead singer Dave Bickler. The music was composed by Sam Struyk and Sandy Torano at Scandal Music, Chicago. A female gospel-style chorus is also heard in many of the ads.
The popularity of the series, which is seen as a
parodyof 1980s beer advertising (including Budweiser's own from that era)Fact|date=September 2008, led to many of the commercials being traded on peer to peer file sharingnetworks.Fact|date=September 2008
Starting in 2006 some of the commercials were recorded as 30 second spots. This was done to accommodate the desire of
Clear ChannelRadio and other radio companies to air shorter commercial breaks.Fact|date=September 2008
In late 2006,
Anheuser-Buschsponsored a comedy tour titled "Real Men of Comedy" starring John Heffron, Joe Rogan, and Charlie Murphy. This tour featured the announcer and singer from the Real Men of Genius commercials performing several of their famous commercials at the beginning of the show.
Influence on popular culture
Parodies of the series have been created, including:
George Washington University Law SchoolLaw Revue parodied the ad with a version called "Real Men of Law School."" [http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog/2008/03/real-men-of-geo.html]
* At one point in the movie
Meet The Spartans, a parody is done called “Mr. Warmongering Latent Homosexual”
* Juxtaposition, a Virginia Tech men's a cappella group parodied the popular ad with their version called "Real Hokies of Genius".
* The online film site atomfilms.com features a video entitled "Real men of the Empire" [http://www.atomfilms.com/af/content/real_men_empire] , in which a fictional "Corellian Ale" company in the
Star Warsuniverse pays tribute to "Mr. Death Star Gunner".
Sea Worldplays parodies of the "Real Men of Genius" commercials during a few of their shows - these too are produced with the same voice actors and have the same lyrics (except of course the Mr. Genius). And during some employee training videos, certain job positions are presented in the commercial format.Fact|date=September 2008
* A Minneapolis radio station, after 9/11, parodied the ads with real F(bleep)ing S(bleep)bags, featuring Osama Bin Laden as the subject.
* Radio shock jock
Mancowparodied "Real Men of Genius" on his radio talk show, calling it "Mr. 18-Wheeler Mother Trucker."
* Radio talk show host
Glenn Beckparodies the ads as "Real American A-Holes".
* In his latest CD, "Never Scared"
Chris Rockspoofs this with "Real People of Ignorance". There were 2 installments of this: "Mr. Friend of a Rap Star" and "Ms. Girl With A Tattoo On Her Pussy".
* "Real Otaku Heroes," celebrating bizarre parts of anime fandom. [http://www.realotakuheroes.com/songs/songs.html]
* Real Men of Genius have also recorded parodies of these ads for the
Bob and Tom Show.
Mark Green, the Republican candidate for Governor of Wisconsinin 2006, had a radio political attack ad called "Wisconsin Men of Greed" which questioned Governor Jim Doyle's tax policies. The political ad used the same style as the Real Men of Genius ads, though with a different announcer ( Doug Jeffers) and singer than the Bud Light campaign [http://www.votemarkgreen.com/site/apps/nl/content.asp?c=klIZIhN3JyE&b=2015079&ct=2919447] .
*An ad series called "Real Scouts of Genius" was produced by members of the staff of
Yawgoog Scout Reservationsporadically since 2006.
* Other political attack ads in
Minnesotaand Texasalso took on an imitative theme of the Real Men of Genius ads in the closing days of the 2006 midterm electioncampaign [http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2006-11-02-negative-ads_x.htm] [http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/4301786.html] .
Vic Mignognaand Steven Blumhave started producing "Real Fans of Genius", which parody stereotypical anime fans.
*The G4 television show "
X-Play" once parodied this segment using people who have done bad things in designing video gaming; the segment was called "Real Buttholes of Gaming", and two of these aired in the same episode, which aired in the summer of 2005.The singers of "Real Men of Genius" also make appearances at professional sporting events to perform tributes to home teams and fans in the commercials' format. Known appearances include:
Bank of America Stadium, with a song dedicated to all the Carolina Panthersfans.
Reliant Stadium, dedicating a song to all Houston Texansfans.
Invesco Field at Mile High, with a song for Denver Broncosfans.
Edward Jones Dome, with a song for St. Louis Ramsfans.
Safeco Fieldon May 18, 2007, where they performed a song dedicated to Seattle Marinersfans and the city of Seattle. Earlier that same day, they performed two songs live on The Men's Room early afternoon radio program on Seattle's local rock station, KISW-FM.
LP Fieldin Nashvillewhere they paid tribute to Coach Jeff Fisher's headset as well as the Titans fans.
* On 93.7 The Arrow a
classic rockradio station in Houston, Texas where they paid tribute to radio morning show hosts "Dean and Rog"
* On April 18, 2007, they performed an ode to Sacramento Kings fans referring to them as "fans of genius" due to their well-known loyalty to their team, and willingness to stay until the end of the game. The mock-tribute was also meant to poke fun at the Los Angeles Lakers (who were playing the Kings that night), as Lakers' fans are stereotypically believed to be more interested in talking on their cell-phones and leaving early to beat the traffic, than actually watching the game.
* The Real Men of Genius singers did a song for Sportsradio 610am in Houston named "Mr. Preposterous Trade Proposer". This song was aired quite frequently for several months.
* A television commercial advertising the fourth episode of
Meerkat Manor's third season parodies the Real Men of Genius ads.
* Following the widespread banning of dodgeball from schools nationwide, and Rod Ryan's, a Houston disc jockey for 94.5 The Buzz, proactive formation of the Houston Dodgeball Association (HoDA), a Real Men of Genius commercial was made saluting Mr Dodgeball Resurrector.
* Real Estate Blogger Dr. Housing Bubble writes a recurring set of articles entitled " [http://www.doctorhousingbubble.com/category/real-homes-of-genius/ Real Homes of Genius] ".
* In the browser based MMO,
Urban Dead, players have taken to sending out radio transmissions parodying Real Men of Genius, except about annoying players in game, such as Combat Revivers
*In 2004 Knotts Scary Farm presented audio commercials of "Real Men of Genius" before their Spoof show that is they present every year making fun of the previous year. The commercials were about the employees working at Knotts Scary Farm.
* In Sept of 2008, members of the Cincinnati Bengals message boards (Jungle Noise) created a parody celebrating that teams much maligned fans. http://home.ntelos.net/~blades/BudLightPresents.mp3
* [http://budlight.whipnet.com/ The Original Real Men of Genius Site]
* [http://thefuntimesguide.com/2004/10/bud_light_real.php/ Collection of Real Men of Genius Commercials]
* [http://www.budlightbirthday.com/ Bud Light presents Real Men of Genius Birthday Greeting (official site)]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Real Genius — Film poster Directed by Martha Coolidge Produced by Brian G … Wikipedia
Genius — For other uses, see Genius (disambiguation). Human intelligence Abilities and Traits Abstract thought Communication · … Wikipedia
List of The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius episodes — The following is a list of all The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius episodes. Contents 1 Series Overview 2 Season 0: 1998 3 Film: 2001 4 Season 1: 2002–2003 … Wikipedia
The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius — Jimmy Neutron redirects here. For other uses, see Jimmy Neutron (disambiguation). The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius The series second and last title card Gen … Wikipedia
Original Stories from Real Life — Title page from the first edition of Original Stories (1788) Original Stories from Real Life; with Conversations Calculated to Regulate the Affections, and Form the Mind to Truth and Goodness … Wikipedia
The Real World — Infobox Television show name = The Real World caption = The Real World Logo deletable image caption genre = Reality creators =Mary Ellis Bunim Jonathan Murray developer = starring = country = USA language = English num seasons = 20 num episodes … Wikipedia
Mystery Men — Directed by Kinka Usher Produced by Lawrence Gordon Lloyd Levin Mike Richardson … Wikipedia
List of Ultimate X-Men story arcs — Ultimate X Men , a Marvel Comics series, has covered 19 story arcs since the first issue s debut in February 2001. Mark Millar wrote most of the first 33 issues. His run was followed by Brian Michael Bendis for 12 issues, Brian K. Vaughan for 20… … Wikipedia
List of Two and a Half Men characters — The main cast of Two and a Half Men (seasons 1 4), from left to right: Melanie Lynskey as Rose, Conchata Ferrell as Berta, Charlie Sheen as Charlie Harper, Holland Taylor as Evelyn Harper, Angus T. Jones as Jake Harper, Jon Cryer as Alan Harper,… … Wikipedia
Chronology of real-time strategy video games — Part of a series on … Wikipedia