- List of U.S. National Parks by elevation
This is a list of
United States National Parks by elevation. Most of America's national parks are located in mountainous areas. Even among those located close to the ocean, not all are flat. Those few that are low lying preserve important natural habitats that could never exist at high altitude. Several national parks protect deep canyons with great vertical relief. There are also three national parks whose primary features are caves, the depths of which are still being explored.
Points on this list are the highest and lowest points within each national park and its associated
national preserve, if it has one. It does not include adjacent or associated national recreation areas, parkways, memorials, or forests, but does include private property within park boundaries. Footnotes are given to mention other notable high or low points, when appropriate.
*"Elevation is a topic of eternal interest." [ [http://www.nps.gov/archive/mora/notes/vol4-7b.htm Quote] ]
* [http://www.cs.utk.edu/~dunigan/at/gsmnpat.html The AT thru the Smokeys] - The
Appalachian Trailcrosses through Great Smokey Mountains and Shenandoah National Parks. It reaches its highest point at Clingmans Dome.
* [http://bikely.bikeradar.com/maps/bike-path/Skyline-Drive105162 Skyline Drive map and profile] -
Skyline Driveruns the length of Shenandoah.
* [http://www.bearcant.org/elevation.php PCT Elevation Profiles] - The
Pacific Crest Trailgoes through seven national parks.
**North Cascades - Washington section K
**Mount Rainier - Washington section I
**Crater Lake - Oregon section C
**Lassen Volcanic - California section N
**Yosemite - California sections H & I
**Kings Canyon - California section H
**Sequoia - California sections G & H
* [http://www.nps.gov/mora/planyourvisit/upload/wonderland_trail_profile.pdf Wonderland Trail] - An elevation profile of the
Wonderland Trailaround Mount Rainier.
List of U.S. states by elevation
* [http://www.nps.gov National Park Service]
* [http://www.peakbagger.com/list.aspx?lid=1821 Peakbagger]
* [http://www.climb.mountains.com/Project_Island_files/US_National_Parks_Elev.htm www.climb.mountains.com] These two external lists may not necessarily agree 100% with Wikipedia's list, but serve as useful comparisons. The primary difference is that these lists do not include associated national preserves.
* [http://postholer.com/gmap/gmap.php?trail=at&stMark=8 Postholer Maps] ; contains clear, zoomable topographic maps of the entire USA.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
List of National Parks of the United States — 1938 poster for Yellowstone National Park The United States has 58 protected areas known as national parks, which are operated by the National Park Service, an agency of the Department of the Interior. National parks must be established by an act … Wikipedia
List of national parks of Italy — Gennargentu National Park, Sardinia The Italian national parks cover about five percent of the country. The parks are managed by the Ministry of the Environment (Italian: Ministero dell Ambiente). … Wikipedia
National parks of Canada — Canadian National Parks Mount Chephren and Waterfowl Lake in Banff National Park First Park Banff National Park, 1885 … Wikipedia
National Parks of Canada — The National Parks of Canada encompass over forty protected areas, including National Parks, National Park Reserves, National Marine Conservation Areas, and one National Landmark. The National Park System includes 157 National Historic Sites,… … Wikipedia
List of New Mexico state parks — … Wikipedia
List of Nevada state parks — … Wikipedia
National Park Service — Arrowhead Agency overview Formed August 25, 1916 Jurisdiction … Wikipedia
National Park of American Samoa — IUCN Category II (National Park) … Wikipedia
List of National Historic Landmarks in Oregon — … Wikipedia
List of National Historic Sites of Canada in Alberta — Map of all coordinates from Google Map of all coordinates from Bing Export all coordinates as KML … Wikipedia