First Baptist Church of Cold Spring (Nelsonville, New York)
Infobox religious building
building_name = First Baptist Church of Cold Spring
infobox_width = 300px
image_size = 300px
caption = Front (north) elevation and east profile, 2007
location = Nelsonville, NY,
geo = coord|41|25|22|N|73|56|59|W|type:landmark_region:US-NY
consecration_year = 1833
functional_status = active
architecture = yes
architect = Davenport
general_contractor = William Bowne
facade_direction = north
year_completed = 1833
construction_cost = $825Cite web|last=Barry|first=Elise|title=National Register of Historic Places nomination, First Baptist Church of Cold Spring|url=http://www.oprhp.state.ny.us/hpimaging/hp_view.asp?GroupView=11250|publisher=
New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation|date=1982-04-22|accessdate=2008-10-03]
nrhp = yes
added = 1982
refnum = 82001241
designated =The First Baptist Church of Cold Spring is located just outside that village on Main Street (NY 301) in Nelsonville,
New York, United States. It is the oldest church in the town of Philipstown, which includes both villages, and has been in use continually since its 1833 construction.cite web|title=Hudson Highlands Scenic Area Of Statewide Significance|url=http://www.nyswaterfronts.com/SASS/SASS1/Hudson_Highlands.htm#HH-25%20%20Cold%20Spring%20Subunit|accessdate=2008-01-17] Its white steeple, at the rise on the line between the villages, is a Nelsonville landmark.
It is also the only frame church of any note within the
Hudson Highlands. It was added to the National Register of Historic Placesin 1982, and is situated next to Gothic Italianate home at 249 Main Street, which is also on the National Register.
The church is a frame clapboard structure on a stone foundation. The projecting entrance bay frames the doorway with corner
pilasters and a plain entablature. The doorway itself is also pilastered, with bracketed capitals and a modillioned cornice.
From this rises a tall
pendented steeple, atop an octagonal cupolawhose arched openings are filled with louvered panels. The roof is gabled with returns; the projecting eaves are likewise bracketed. All sides have rounded stained-glass windows and corner pilasters.
congregationwas formed in 1808; it met in members' homes until 1831, when it had grown big enough to afford a church of its own. Samuel and Mary Gouverneur, owners of a large estate that became much of present-day Nelsonville, donated the land in 1831. A man named Davenport (first name unknown) designed the church; William Bowne built it for $825 ($formatprice|inflation|US|825|1833|2008 in 2008 dollarsinflation-fn).
It has been added onto several times since and partially rebuilt once. In 1854 the steeple and rear lecture hall were added. A
baptistrywas carved out of the interior 20 years later. Finally, a 1962 addition to the rear added classrooms, a kitchenand dining room. The interior was damaged by a fire in 1978; it was restored and reopened two years later.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
First Baptist Church — The term First Baptist Church usually refers to the first baptist church founded in a particular area and may be a church belonging to several different baptist denominations. On occasion, additional terms are added to the church s name to… … Wikipedia
National Register of Historic Places listings in Putnam County, New York — Location of Putnam County in New York Ma … Wikipedia