"Official Declaration—2" is the formal 1978 announcement by the First Presidency of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church) that the church's priesthood would no longer be subject to restrictions based on race or skin color. Prior to the issuance of "Official Declaration—2", the church did not ordain black people of African descent to the priesthood.
"Official Declaration—2" was canonized by the LDS Church at its general conference on September 30, 1978, through the process of common consent. Since 1981, the text has been included in the church's Doctrine and Covenants, one of its Standard Works of scripture. It is the most recent text that has been added to the LDS Church's open canon of scripture. The announcement that was canonized had previously been announced by a June 8, 1978 letter from the First Presidency, which was composed of Spencer W. Kimball, N. Eldon Tanner, and Marion G. Romney.
Revelation vs. declaration
Unlike much of the Doctrine and Covenants, "Official Declaration—2" is not itself presented as a revelation from God. However, its text announces that Jesus Christ "by revelation has confirmed that the long-promised day has come when every faithful, worthy man in the Church may receive the holy priesthood." Thus, it is regarded as "the official declaration of the revelation." No text of the revelation has been released by the church, but it is common for Latter-day Saints to refer to the "revelation on the priesthood" in describing the changes wrought by the announcement and canonization of "Official Declaration—2".
- 1890 Manifesto
- Blacks and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Joseph Freeman (Mormon)
- ^ LDS Church, "Gospel Topics: Priesthood Ordination before 1978".
- ^ N. Eldon Tanner, “Revelation on Priesthood Accepted, Church Officers Sustained,” Ensign, Nov. 1978, 16.
- ^ Robert J. Woodford, “The Story of the Doctrine and Covenants,” Ensign, Dec. 1984, 32.
- ^ Sections 137 and 138 of the Doctrine and Covenants were added to the D&C in 1981; however, these texts had been part of the canon in the Pearl of Great Price since 1976: Leon R. Hartshorn, "Doctrine and Covenants: Sections 137–138" in Encyclopedia of Mormonism 1:423 and “The Sustaining of Church Officers,” Ensign, May 1976, 18.
- ^ "Official Declaration—2".
- ^ Church Educational System (2001, 2d ed.). Doctrine and Covenants Student Manual (Salt Lake City, Utah: LDS Church) p. 364.
- ^ See, e.g., LDS Church, “Chapter Ten: The Worldwide Church,” Our Heritage: A Brief History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Salt Lake City, Utah: LDS Church).
- Cardell Jacobson, "Doctrine and Covenants: Official Declaration—2" in Encyclopedia of Mormonism 1:423–424
- Official Declaration—2 : official text from Doctrine and Covenants
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
official declaration — declaration authorized by the government, statement authorized by a recognized authority … English contemporary dictionary
declaration of the poll — noun Politics the official declaration of the result of a parliamentary election … Australian English dictionary
Declaration (Bleeding Through album) — Declaration Studio album by Bleeding Through Released September 30, 2008 … Wikipedia
declaration — dec·la·ra·tion n 1: the act of declaring declaration of dividends declaration of war 2 a: the first pleading in a common law action compare complaint … Law dictionary
Declaration of the Independence of New Zealand — He Wakaputanga o te Rangatiratanga Created 28 October 1835 Ratified 1836  … Wikipedia
declaration of compliance — declaˌration of comˈpliance noun declarations of compliance PLURALFORM [countable usually singular] LAW in Britain, a document stating that all the necessary official actions have been taken to set up a new limited company. The declaration of… … Financial and business terms
Declaration on the Status and Name of the Croatian Literary Language — The Declaration was published in the March 17, 1967 issue of Telegram. Created March 1 … Wikipedia
Declaration (The Alarm album) — Declaration Studio album by The Alarm Released February 1984 Recorded November 1983 … Wikipedia
Declaration on the Status and Name of the Croatian Standard Language — ( hr. Deklaracija o nazivu i položaju hrvatskog književnog jezika) was a document brought by Croat scholars.Declaration was brought March 13 1967. It was published in Telegram , Yugoslav newspapers for social and cultural questions, nr. 359, 17… … Wikipedia
Declaration Tour — est la première tournée solo de l auteur/compositeur/interprète David Cook, qui a atteint la gloire après avoir remporté la septième saison d American Idol édition 2008. Sommaire 1 Contexte 2 Groupes de première partie 3 Set list … Wikipédia en Français