Menorah has two principal meanings:
- Menorah (Temple) - a seven-branched lampstand used in the ancient Tabernacle in the desert and Temple in Jerusalem, a symbol of Judaism since ancient times and the emblem of the modern state of Israel.
- Menorah (Hanukkah), a nine-branched candelabrum used on the Jewish holiday of Hanukkah
It may also refer to:
- Knesset Menorah - a bronze monument located at the edge of Gan Havradim (Rose Garden) in front of the Knesset.
- Menorah Medical Center, an acute care hospital
- Kfar HaOranim, an Israeli settlement in the West Bank also known as Menorah
- a fundamentalist sect in Switzerland, see Bruno Meyer (Menorah)
This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the same title.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
MENORAH — (Heb. מְנוֹרָה; candelabrum ), the name given to the seven branched candelabrum which, according to the Bible, was a prominent feature of the tabernacle erected by the people of Israel in the wilderness, as well as in the Jerusalem Temple. In… … Encyclopedia of Judaism
Ménorah — Menorah réplique de la menorah du temple … Wikipédia en Français
menorah — 1886, from Heb. menorah candlestick, from Semitic stem n w r to give light, shine (Cf. Arabic nar fire, manarah candlestick, lighthouse, tower of a mosque, see MINARET (Cf. minaret)) … Etymology dictionary
menorah — ► NOUN ▪ a candelabrum used in Jewish worship, typically with eight branches. ORIGIN Hebrew … English terms dictionary
menorah — [mə nō′rə, mənôr′ə] n. [Heb menora, lamp stand < Aram nur, fire; akin to Ar manārah: see MINARET] a candelabrum; specif., a) one with seven branches, a traditional symbol of Judaism b) one with nine branches, used during the festival of… … English World dictionary
Menorah — la Menorah (chandelier à 7 branches) ne doit pas être confondue avec la Hanoukkia (chandelier à 8 branches +1) Arc de triomphe de Titus : Prisonniers juifs portant la Menorah et les tromp … Wikipédia en Français
menorah — /meuh nawr euh, nohr euh/, n. 1. a candelabrum having seven branches (as used in the Biblical tabernacle or the Temple in Jerusalem), or any number of branches (as used in modern synagogues). 2. a candelabrum having nine branches, for use on the… … Universalium
menorah — UK [məˈnɔːrə] / US [məˈnɔrə] noun [countable] Word forms menorah : singular menorah plural menorahs an object that holds seven or more candles, used in the Jewish religion … English dictionary
menorah — noun Etymology: Hebrew mĕnōrāh candlestick Date: 1886 a candelabra with seven or nine lights that is used in Jewish worship … New Collegiate Dictionary
Menorah — Menora Jarmulke und Menora … Deutsch Wikipedia