Quality-Driven Architecture Design and Quality Analysis
Quality-driven architecture design is an approach to
software architecturedesign which emphasizes the importance of addressing quality attributes, i.e. non-functional characteristics of softwareproducts. The approach relies on treating quality attributes as at least equally important requirements as functional requirementsand constraints, and utilizing the gained knowledge in architectural design. The approach is complemented by quality analysis of software architecture, which is a way of analyzing how well software architecture fulfills the non-functional requirements. QADA (Quality-driven Architecture Design and Quality Analysis) is a methodologydeveloped at VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland.
QADA provides a systematic way to transform quality requirements into software architecture. Architectural styles and patterns are used as a guide to carry out quality requirements in architectural description with a documented design rationale [ cite book |title=Quality-driven architecture design and quality analysis method. A revolutionary initiation approach to a product line architecture. | url=http://www.vtt.fi/inf/pdf/publications/2002/P456.pdf |last=Matinlassi | coauthors=Niemelä, Dobrica | year=2002 |publisher=VTT Publications |location=Espoo |isbn=951-38-5967-3, pages=12-13 ] . QADA contributes methods and techniques to the following areas of architecture-centric software development: (1) software family engineering, (2) model-and quality driven architecture development, (3) rchitectural knowledge sharing, and (4) architecture evaluation. The main contributions are the following [ cite book| title=Quality evaluation by QADA | last=Niemelä | coauthors=Matinlassi | year=2005 |publisher=The 5th working IEEE/IFIP Conference on Software Architecture. WICSA 2005. Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania | url= http://www.vtt.fi/inf/julkaisut/muut/2005/Niemela_Matinlassi_EvaluationByQada_v10.pdf ] :
* QADA contributes to "software family engineering" by providing [ citation | title=Quality driven family architecture development | last=Niemelä | year=2005 |publisher=9th International Software Product Line Conference. Rennes, France, 26 Sep. 2005 ] : (a) method to select an appropriate family architecture approach, (b) a method to capture and map requirements to the family architecture (c) a method to evaluate the maturity and quality of the family architecture and (d) a technique to represent variation points in the family architecture.
* QADA contributes the "model- and quality-driven architecture development" by providing [ cite book |title=Quality-driven architecture design and quality analysis method. A revolutionary initiation approach to a product line architecture. | url=http://www.vtt.fi/inf/pdf/publications/2002/P456.pdf |last=Matinlassi |coauthors=Niemelä, Dobrica |year=2002 |publisher=VTT Publications |location=Espoo |isbn=951-38-5967-3, pages=36-74 ] : (a) a stakeholder-based definition of architectural viewpoints, (b) a set of predefined views that use a set of diagrams for representing a view of architecture, and (c) a technique to map quality requirements to architectural views and represent the quality properties in the architectural diagrams.
* QADA facilitates "sharing and reusing architectural design knowledge" by providing: (a) an architectural knowledgebase, aka. stylebase, which includes a set of styles and patterns to be used by architects [ citation |title= Toward an Architectural Knowledge Base for Wireless Service Engineering | last=Niemelä | first=Eila | coauthors=Kalaoja, Logo | year=2000 |journal=EEE Transactions on Software Engineering | volume=31 | issue=5 | pages 361 - 379 ] , (b) a technique for transforming an architecture from one style to another according to the changed quality requirements [ cite book |title=Quality-driven Software Architecture Model Transformation. Towards automation |last=Matinlassi|first=Mari |year=2006 |publisher=VTT Publications |location=Espoo | url=http://www.vtt.fi/inf/pdf/publications/2006/P608.pdf ] and (c) patterns for documenting architectural descriptions and software components.
* In addition, QADA methodology contains several "quality evaluation" methods, e.g. Integrability and Extensibility Evaluation (IEE) [ cite journal|title=Integrability and Extensibility Evaluation From Software Architectural models - A Case Study|last=Henttonen |coauthors=Matinlassi, Niemelä, Kanstén |year=200 7|journal=Open Software Engineering Journal |volume=1 |issue=1 |pages=1–20 |id= |url=http://www.bentham-open.org/pages/content.php?TOSEJ/2007/00000001/00000001/1TOSEJ.SGM|doi=10.2174/1874107X00701010001 ] and Reliability and Availability Prediction (RAP) [ cite journal |title= A method for predicting reliability andavailability at the architectural level in Software Product- Lines |last=Immonen |year=2005|journal=Research Issues in Engineering and Management |publisher=Springer-Verlag | pages=373–422 ] . Evaluation is based on scenario-based analysis methods. The methods consist of three phases: quality goals and criteria definition, scenario modelling and actual evaluation based on defined change scenarios.
The development of QADA methodology started in 2000 [ cite book |title=Attribute-based product-line architecture development for embedded systems | last=Dobrica | coauthors=Niemelä, | year=2000 |publisher=Proceedings of the 3rd Australasian Workshop on Software and Systems Architectures. Sydney, 19 - 20 Nov 2000 ] . The development has been done in a sequence of various types of research projects involving several researches, each project and researcher focusing on certain part(s) of the methodology. The research approach of the whole concept is to create, validate and improve parts of the methodology as methods, techniques and realizations, to evaluate the parts and therefore to iteratively elaborate the methodology.
VTThas also developed open sourcetools to support QADA methodology, e.g. Stylebase for Eclipseand CombonentBee.
* [http://virtual.vtt.fi/virtual/proj1/projects/qada/ QADA homepage]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Model-driven architecture — (MDA) is a software design approach for the development of software systems. It provides a set of guidelines for the structuring of specifications, which are expressed as models. Model driven architecture is a kind of domain engineering, and… … Wikipedia
Design management — is the business side of design. Design managers need to speak the language of the business and the language of design … Wikipedia
Business architecture — The term, Business Architecture, is used to refer to a process, model or profession. In these usages, Business Architecture refers to the organizing framework of a business, the documents and diagrams that describe that structure or the people… … Wikipedia
Service-oriented architecture — (SOA) is a method for systems development and integration where functionality is grouped around business processes and packaged as interoperable services . SOA also describes IT infrastructure which allows different applications to exchange data… … Wikipedia
Software quality — Contents 1 Motivation for Defining Software Quality 2 Definition 3 Alternative Approaches to Software Quality Defin … Wikipedia
Business and Industry Review — ▪ 1999 Introduction Overview Annual Average Rates of Growth of Manufacturing Output, 1980 97, Table Pattern of Output, 1994 97, Table Index Numbers of Production, Employment, and Productivity in Manufacturing Industries, Table (For Annual… … Universalium
Industrial and organizational psychology — Psychology … Wikipedia
Media and Publishing — ▪ 2007 Introduction The Frankfurt Book Fair enjoyed a record number of exhibitors, and the distribution of free newspapers surged. TV broadcasters experimented with ways of engaging their audience via the Internet; mobile TV grew; magazine… … Universalium
Department of Defense Architecture Framework — DoD Architecture Framework. The Department of Defense Architecture Framework (DoDAF) is an architecture framework for the United States Department of Defense, that provides structure for a specific stakeholder concern through viewpoints… … Wikipedia
Anthropology and Archaeology — ▪ 2009 Introduction Anthropology Among the key developments in 2008 in the field of physical anthropology was the discovery by a large interdisciplinary team of Spanish and American scientists in northern Spain of a partial mandible (lower… … Universalium