- List of directorial debuts
This is a list of film directorial debuts in chronological order.
The films and dates referred to are a director's first commercial theatrical release. Where a director has created other earlier works for television it is annotated by a ♦ . When a director's earlier work is uncredited it is annotated #. When the work has not been released e.g. such as film school or is a short film or (music) video it is annotated by a †. Please refer to individual entries for further detail.
- D.W. Griffith – The Adventures of Dollie
- Fritz Lang- Halbblut
- Michael Curtiz – Utolsó bohém, Az
- Wilfred Lucas – An Outcast Among Outcasts
- Victor Sjöström – Ett hemligt giftermål
- Maurice Tourneur – Jean la Poudre
- Robert Wiene — Die Waffen der Jugend
- Frank Borzage – The Mystery of Yellow Aster Mine
- Jack Conway† – The Old Armchair
- Carmine Gallone – Il bacio di Cirano
- King Vidor – Hurricane in Galveston
- Raoul Walsh – The Pseudo Prodigal
- Richard Boleslavsky – Ty yeshcho ne umesh lyubit
- Tod Browning – The Lucky Transfer
- Lon Chaney, Sr. – The Stool Pigeon
- B. Reeves Eason – Competition
- Charlie Chaplin- Burlesque on Carmen
- E.A. Dupont† – Mein ist die Rache
- Rex Ingram – The Great Problem
- Fred Niblo – Get-Rich-Quick Wallingford
- John S. Robertson – Love and Trout
- Zoltan Korda – Károly bakák
- Walt Disney – Little Red Riding Hood
- Robert J. Flaherty – Nanook of the North
- Alexander Hall – A Game of Craft
- Alfred Hitchcock – Number 13
- Adrian Brunel - The Man Without Desire
- William Dieterle – Der Mensch am Wege
- Sergei Eisenstein – Glumov's Diary
- Kenji Mizoguchi – Ai ni yomigaru hi
- Georg Wilhelm Pabst – Der Schatz
- Jean Cocteau – Jean Cocteau fait du Cinema
- Lewis Milestone† – Seven Sinners
- Josef von Sternberg – The Salvation Hunters
- Frank Capra- The Strong Man
- Howard Hawks – The Road to Glory
- Ray Taylor – Fighting with Buffalo Bill
- Edgar G. Ulmer# – The Border Sheriff [nb 1]
- William Wyler† – Lazy Lightning
- Lloyd Bacon – The Heart of Maryland
- David Butler – High School Hero
- Mervyn LeRoy – No Place To Go
- Yasujiro Ozu – Zange no Yaiba
- Norman Taurog† – Lucky Boy
- Luis Buñuel† – L'Age d'Or
- George Cukor – Grumpy
- Jean Vigo – À propos de Nice
- Curt Siodmak, Robert Siodmak & Fred Zinnemann – Menschen am Sonntag [nb 2]
- James Whale - Journey's End
- Michael Powell – Two Crowded Hours
- Otto Preminger – Die große Liebe
- Jacques Tourneur† -Tout ça ne vaut pas l'amour
- Henry Hathaway – Heritage of the Desert
- Henry Koster – Thea Roland
- Max Ophüls† – The Company's in Love
- Robert Stevenson – Happy Ever After
- Marcel Varnel – Silent Witness
- Fei Mu – Night in the City
- Marcel Pagnol† – Le gendre de Monsieur Poirier
- George Stevens† - A Divorce Courtship
- Mehboob Khan – Judgement of Allah
- Mario Mattoli – Tempo Massimo
- Alice O'Fredericks – Ud i den kolde sne
- Douglas Sirk – Zwei Genies[nb 3]
- Billy Wilder – Mauvaise Graine (Co-Directed)
- Giacomo Gentilomo – Sinfonia di Roma
- Camillo Mastrocinque – Regina della Scala
- Robert Rossen – Marked Woman
- William Witney – The Painted Stallion
- Richard Ayoade† - Submarine
- Banksy – Exit Through The Gift Shop
- Darragh Byrne♦ – Parked
- Lena Dunham - Tiny Furniture
- Gareth Edwards - Monsters
- Tanya Hamilton - Night Catches Us
- Philip Seymour Hoffman - Jack Goes Boating
- Henry Joost & Ariel Shulman† - Catfish
- Larysa Kondracki - The Whistleblower
- Joseph Kosinski – Tron: Legacy
- Jason Croot - Le Fear
- William Monahan – London Boulevard
- Ben Miller – Huge
- Chris Morris - Four Lions
- Troy Nixey† – Don't Be Afraid of the Dark
- Josh Radnor - happythankyoumoreplease
- Joann Sfar – Gainsbourg (Vie héroïque)
- Floria Sigismondi - The Runaways
- Massy Tadjedin – Last Night
- Hiromasa Yonebayashi – The Secret World of Arrietty
- Richard de Aragues – TT3D: Closer to the Edge
- Jayendra – 180
- Paddy Considine - Tyrannosaur
- Joe Cornish†♦ - Attack the Block
- Alexandre Courtes – The Incident
- Dexter Fletcher;- "Wild Bill"
- Giddens – You Are the Apple of My Eye
- Evan Glodell - Bellflower
- Rashaad Ernesto Green - Gun Hill Road
- Xu Haofeng - The Sword Identity
- Angelina Jolie – In the Land of Blood and Honey
- Mayumi Komatsu - Tamatama
- Julia Leigh – Sleeping Beauty
- Niall MacCormick♦ - Albatross
- John Michael McDonagh - The Guard
- Keith Scholey - African Cats
- Jason Winer†♦ - Arthur
- Mamoru Nagano - Gothicmade
- Daigo Matsui - Afro Tanaka
- ^ a b c d e f g h i j "The 50 greatest debut movies: part three". Time Out. http://www.timeout.com/film/features/show-feature/8596/. Retrieved 2 Sep 2011.
- ^ a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r "Eric's Top 10 Directorial Debuts". scene-stealers.com. http://www.scene-stealers.com/top-10/erics-top-10-directorial-debuts/. Retrieved 2009-08-20.
- ^ a b c d e f g h "The 50 greatest debut movies: part five". Time Out. http://www.timeout.com/film/features/show-feature/8607/. Retrieved 2 Sep 2011.
- ^ Lloyd, Ann; Robinson, David (1987). The Illustrated History of Cinema. Macmillan. p. 162. ISBN 978-0029192412.
- ^ a b c d e f g h i "The 50 greatest debut movies: part two". Time Out. http://www.timeout.com/film/features/show-feature/8595/. Retrieved 2 Sep 2011.
- ^ "The 50 greatest debut movies: part six". Time Out. http://www.timeout.com/film/features/show-feature/8608/. Retrieved 2 Sep 2011.
- ^ a b c d e f g h i "The 50 greatest debut movies: part four". Time Out. http://www.timeout.com/film/features/show-feature/8597/. Retrieved 2 Sep 2011.
- ^ a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t Jarecki, Nicholas. Breaking In — How 20 Film Directors Got Their Start. ISBN 0-7679-0674-8.
- ^ a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q Lowenstein, Stephen. My First Movie. ISBN 0-375-42081-9.
- ^ a b c d e f g h "Time Out's 50 greatest directorial debuts of all time". Time Out. http://www.timeout.com/film/features/show-feature/8594/Time_Out-s_50_greatest_directorial_debuts_of_all_time.html. Retrieved 2 Sep 2011.
- ^ a b c d e f g h i j "The Top Grossing Directorial Debuts of All-time". Indiewire.com. http://www.indiewire.com/article/heres_the_top_grossing_directorial_debuts/. Retrieved 3 Sep 2011.
- ^ a b c d e f g "J.D.'s Top 10 Directorial Debuts". scene-stealers.com. http://www.scene-stealers.com/top-10/jds-top-ten-directorial-debuts/. Retrieved 2009-08-20.
- ^ a b c d e f g h i j "10 worst-reviewed directorial debuts since 1990". Metacritic.com. http://www.metacritic.com/feature/best-and-worst-directorial-debuts?page=1. Retrieved 3 Sep 2011.
- ^ a b c d "Top 5 Female Directorial Debuts". Soundonsight.org. 24 Oct 2011. http://www.soundonsight.org/top-5-female-directorial-debuts/.
- ^ a b c d e f g h i "10 best-reviewed directorial debuts since 1990". Metacritic.com. http://www.metacritic.com/feature/best-and-worst-directorial-debuts. Retrieved 3 Sep 2011.
- ^ a b c d e f g h i "The Doom Dispatch: The Ten best Directorial Debuts of the Decade". www.geeksofdoom.com. http://geeksofdoom.com/2009/05/29/the-doom-dispatch-the-ten-best-directorial-debuts-of-the-decade/. Retrieved 2009-08-21.
- ^ Bradshaw, Peter (2009-10-08). "Katalin Varga". London: Guardian.co.uk. http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2009/oct/08/katalin-varga-review. Retrieved 2009-10-10.
- ^ "TIFF '10:Day 7". AVClub.com. http://www.avclub.com/articles/tiff-10-day-7,45247/. Retrieved 2010-09-17.
- ^ "SXSW Review: Attack The Block Could Be The Best Action Movie Of The Year". Cinemablend.com. March 17, 2011. http://www.cinemablend.com/new/SXSW-Review-Attack-The-Block-Could-Be-The-Best-Action-Movie-Of-The-Year-23620.html.
- ^ Co-directed with Robert N. Bradbury
- ^ Co-directed with Edgar G. Ulmer
- ^ as Detlef Sierck
- ^ Co-directed with Anthony Hankey
- ^ Co-directed with Gunther von Fritsch
- ^ Co-directed with Brian Desmond Hurst
- ^ Although originally made for TV, additional scenes were filmed and it was released theatrically in Europe in 1972
- ^ co-directed with Buck Henry
- ^ co-directed with Warren Beatty
- ^ Co-directed with Quentin Lee
- ^ co-directed with John Lasseter
- ^ Co-directed with David Silverman
- ^ Co-directed with Vincent Paronnaud
- ^ Co-directed with Pete Docter
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Directorial debut — A directorial debut is the first production of anyone working for the first time as a director for a film. The term is most often used when an actor turns director for the first time. [cite news |first= |last= |authorlink= |coauthors= |title=What … Wikipedia
List of years in film — This list of years in film indexes the individual year in film pages. Each year is annotated with the significant events as a reference point. NOTOC *19th century in film *20th century in film: **1900s 1910s 1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s… … Wikipedia
Debut — Debut, also spelled début, may refer to: Media Debut (Björk album), a 1993 album by Björk Debut E.P., a 2000 release by Korean pop rock band Bulldog Mansion The Debut, a 2001 independent feature length film directed by Gene Cajayon The Debut (The … Wikipedia
Richard Smith (silent film director) — For people with similar names, see Richard Smith and Dick Smith. Richard Smith Born September 17, 1886(1886 09 17) Cleveland, Ohio United States Died 1937 (aged 50) Los Angeles, California United States … Wikipedia
Film director — A film director is a person who directs the actors and film crew in filmmaking. They control a film s artistic and dramatic aspects, while guiding the technical crew and actors. Contents 1 Responsibilities 2 Methods of film directing … Wikipedia
performing arts — arts or skills that require public performance, as acting, singing, or dancing. [1945 50] * * * ▪ 2009 Introduction Music Classical. The last vestiges of the Cold War seemed to thaw for a moment on Feb. 26, 2008, when the unfamiliar strains … Universalium
Motion Pictures — ▪ 1995 Introduction Selected Film Awards 1994(For Selected Film Awards, see Table (Selected Film Awards 1994).) The overall picture of world cinema in 1994, on the eve of the 100th anniversary of motion pictures, was one of national… … Universalium
Mark Johnson (producer) — Mark Johnson Born December 27, 1945 (1945 12 27) (age 65) Washington, D.C. Mark Johnson (born December 27, 1945) is an American film producer. Johnson won the Best Picture Academy Award for producing the 1988 drama movie Rain Man, starring… … Wikipedia
Pink film — ] Though the appearance of the AV (adult video) took away most of the pink film audience in the 1980s, films in this genre are still being produced.Description of the pink film The eroductions are the limpest of softcore, and though there is much … Wikipedia
Cinema of Finland — European cinema • Cinema of Albania • Cinema of Armenia • Cinema of Austria • Cinema of Azerbaijan • Cinema of Belgium • Cinema of Bosnia Herzegovina • Cinema of Bulgaria … Wikipedia