Capital Citybus was a major bus operator for
London Busesin North and East London. The company was eventually sold to First in 1998. Capital Citybus is not to be confused with the other former London bus and coach operator Capital Logistics, for whom in 1999 it provided amongst others relief buses for the troubled route 60 start up.
The company was established with the purchase of the London tendered bus services of
Ensignbusby the Hong Kong bus operator Citybus.
Citybus purchased the London tendered routes, one garage and some vehicles. The company was rebranded Capital Citybus and gained a large number of routes after the collapse of
London Busessubsidiary London Forest in 1991 and further tendering.
In 1998 Capital Citybus became the second London bus operator to be sold to
First Group, after Centrewest. After a period of initially separate operation, the company has been fully amalgamated into the other First Londonoperations, and the Capital name has been dropped from buses. The yellow f adorning the front of some buses is a reminder of the Capital Citybus livery.
Capital Citybus saw service on the following
London bus routes
As Capital Citybus originated from Ensign, the fleet experienced several livery iterations from their inherited blue and silver scheme, starting out as merely Ensign blue/silver vehicles with Ensign Citybus fleetnames painted over where the Ensignbus name was, into variations of yellow and silver. [http://londonbusesbyadam.fotopic.net/p38413184.html] [http://mapenn6052.fotopic.net/p12664004.html] [http://simonslondonpictures.fotopic.net/p23805128.html] .
The company settled on an allover yellow livery with stylised "C" logos either side of the destination blind on the front of the bus. Initially buses had red fleetnames incorporating Chinese characters and the stylised "C" with the Capital Citybus name [http://londonbusesbyadam.fotopic.net/p45176619.html] . The fleetname was subsequently modified to just "Capital Citybus" [http://chris91271a.fotopic.net/p18980300.html] .
Capital Citybus was a frequent contractor for
British Railand London Undergroundreplacement service work, and during its existence operated specially liveried vehicles for Docklands Light Railway[http://simonslondonpictures.fotopic.net/p23805135.html] and the East London Line[http://simonslondonpictures.fotopic.net/p22263357.html] [http://eybusmansbusphotographs.fotopic.net/p45526639.html] replacement services.
As the regulations changed regarding London tendered service liveries, a revised mainly red livery was introduced [http://scanphotos.fotopic.net/p38478125.html] .
As the company passed into First ownership, for a time there existed a subtly different First Capital red and yellow livery with the First Group flying "f" replacing the Citybus "C" on the front of buses, and "First Capital" replacing the "Capital Citybus" fleetname [http://scanphotos.fotopic.net/p38478130.html] . Now only the frontal "f" remains in an allover red First livery.
Capital Citybus bought large numbers of new vehicles throughout the 1990s. These included the majority of the relatively rare
* [http://mapenn6052.fotopic.net/p12664005.html] 6 1991-built
Northern Counties-bodied Leyland Olympiandouble-deckers [J---YRM 129-135]
* [http://londonbusesbyadam.fotopic.net/p38413194.html] 23 1991-built Leyland-bodied
Leyland Olympiandouble-deckers [J---YRM 136-158]
* [http://mapenn6052.fotopic.net/p43213968.html] 20 1992-built
Plaxton-bodied Mercedes-Benz 811D minibuses [J---HMF 601-620]
* [http://busesaroundlondon.fotopic.net/p33846924.html] 10 1992-built
Optare MetroRiderintegral minibuses [J---HMH 631-633]
* [http://londonbusesbyadam.fotopic.net/p32317762.html] 3 1992-built Alexander-bodied Mercedes-Benz 811D minibuses [J---HMH 631-633]
* [http://scanphotos.fotopic.net/p38478131.html] 7 1992-built
Northern Counties-bodied Leyland Olympiandouble-deckers [K888--- 159-165]
* [http://londonbusesbyadam.fotopic.net/p31066386.html] 1 1993-built
Northern Counties Palatine-bodied Leyland Olympiandouble-decker [K888TKS 166]
* [http://simonslondonpictures.fotopic.net/p23805146.html] 2 1993-built pre-production
Northern Counties-bodied Volvo OlympianYN2RV18Z4 double-deckers [L888YTT/L888TTT 167/8]
* [http://busesaroundlondon.fotopic.net/p33846929.html] 3 1994-built
Northern Counties-bodied Volvo B6 midibuses [L281RML / L888JTC / L888AMY 681/2/3]
* [http://chris91271a.fotopic.net/p18180241.html] 1 1994-built
Northern Counties-bodied Dennis Dartmidibus [L670MSC 670]
* [http://mapenn6052.fotopic.net/p12664006.html] 10 1994-built Alexander-bodied
Volvo B6midibuses [L---RMD 671-680]
Northern Counties-bodied DAF DB250 double-decker [M647RCP 300]
* [http://londonbusesbyadam.fotopic.net/p37519319.html] 11 1996-built
Northern Counties-bodied Volvo OlympianYN2RV18Z4 double-deckers [N---CMP / P---HMD 239-249]
* [http://londonbusesbyadam.fotopic.net/p42700521.html] 4 1996-built
Optare Excelintegral single-deckers [P---HMT 701-704]
* [http://londonbusesbyadam.fotopic.net/p36103516.html] 16 1996/7-built
Northern Counties-bodied Dennis Arrowdouble-deckers [P---HMH / P---MTW 401-416]
* [http://chris91271a.fotopic.net/p18980303.html] 16 1997-built Alexander-bodied
Volvo Olympiandouble-deckers [P---MPU 223-238]
* [http://londonbusesbyadam.fotopic.net/p42698583.html] 38 1997/8-built
East Lancs-bodied Dennis Arrowdouble-deckers [P---PVW / R426SOY / R---ULE / R844YLC / S---SSL 417-454]
* [http://andrew46.fotopic.net/p42393605.html] 13 1998-built
East Lancs-bodied Dennis DartSLF midibuses [R---VLA 705-717]
Northern Counties-bodied Volvo Olympiandouble-deckers [S---LLO 206-222]
Plaxton President-bodied Dennis Trident 2double-deckers [T---LLC TN801-822]
In addition to its new buses, Capital Citybus employed many second-hand vehicles, many from Ensign.
Leyland NationalII [http://londonbusesbyadam.fotopic.net/p34441481.html]
Dennis Dominator( East Lancs) [http://londonbusesbyadam.fotopic.net/p32189686.html]
Dennis Dominator( Northern Counties) [http://londonbusesbyadam.fotopic.net/p31731700.html]
Leyland Olympian(Alexander RL) [http://londonbusesbyadam.fotopic.net/p32189690.html]
Leyland Olympian( Optare) [http://londonbusesbyadam.fotopic.net/p31387637.html]
Leyland Titan (B15)(Park Royal) [http://londonbusesbyadam.fotopic.net/p30846457.html]
* Bedford [http://simonslondonpictures.fotopic.net/p23805145.html]
Scania K93( Plaxton) [http://londonbusesbyadam.fotopic.net/p33181467.html]
List of bus routes in London
* [http://www.ensignbus.com/ Ensignbus official site]
* [http://www.ticketslondon-online.biz/TransportMuseum/Museum_About.htm Ensignbus Transport Museum - history of Ensignbus]
* [http://londonbusphotosbybryan.fotopic.net/c1398318.html Ensign/Capital Citybus Fotopic collection]
* [http://scanphotos.fotopic.net/c974280.html Capital Citybus Fotopic collection]
* [http://eamonnsphotos.fotopic.net/c1300079.html Capital Citybus Fotopic collection]
* [http://ijkgreaterlondonbuses.fotopic.net/c1153583.html Capital Citybus Fotopic collection]
* [http://simonslondonpictures.fotopic.net/c747470.html Capital Citybus Fotopic collection]
* [http://www.buslistsontheweb.co.uk/ Bus lists on the web] a searchable bus purchase database
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Citybus — or City bus may refer to: A city bus, also known as a commuter bus, transit bus, or public bus Citybus (Hong Kong), a bus operator in the territory of Hong Kong. Metro (Belfast), a bus operator in the city of Belfast, Northern Ireland, with an… … Wikipedia
Capital Logistics — is a former bus and coach operator in England. It was formed in August 1997 following the merger of Whyte s Airport Services and Capital Coaches (West Drayton) the previous April. The company was sold to Tellings Golden Miller in 1999. Capital… … Wikipedia
Citybus (Hong Kong) — For other uses, see Citybus (disambiguation). Citybus Limited Type Private Industry Public transport Founded Hong Kong (1979) Headqua … Wikipedia
Ensignbus — is a Purfleet based bus and coach dealer, open top bus tour operator and bus service operator. Ensignbus has amassed 20 ex London vehicles of various ages and conditions in a [http://www.ticketslondon online.biz/TransportMuseum/Museum Index.htm… … Wikipedia
First London — is one of many operators of London Buses and owned by First Group. They also run the Tramlink network, in a partnership with Tramtrack Croydon. Their registered office is at Paddington station in London.Company historyFirst entered bus operations … Wikipedia
London Buses route 25 — Infobox London Bus number=25 operator=East London length= 11 miles (18 km) time= 54 100 minutes garage=West Ham start=Ilford end=Oxford Circus via=Manor Park Stratford Bow Aldgate Bank Holborn level=24 hour service frequency=About every 5 6… … Wikipedia
List of bus operators of the United Kingdom — This list is an alphabetically ordered index of current and past operators. For a structured list of current operators, see List of current bus operators of the United Kingdom This is a of bus and coach operators of the United Kingdom. The list… … Wikipedia
Northern Scottish — Omnibuses Ltd, in Scotland, was a bus operating subsidiary of the Scottish Transport Group formed in June 1985 from Walter Alexander Sons (Northern) Ltd and operated until 1992, when it became Bluebird Buses Ltd. This successor company is now a… … Wikipedia
McKindless — A McKindless Volvo B6LE/Alexander ALX 200 in Glasgow. Founded 1987 Defunct 19/02/2010 Headquarters Newmains Serv … Wikipedia
Maidstone & District Motor Services — Models of various Maidstone District buses in historical liveries. Maidstone District Motor Services Ltd was a bus company based in Maidstone, Kent. The company operated bus and coach services in Mid and West Kent and East Sussex from 1911 until… … Wikipedia