The Timberland Company
name = The Timberland Company
type = Public (nyse|TBL)
Stratham, New Hampshire
locations = 85 "(US)" 18 "(Canada)" 4 "(U.K.)"
key_people = Sidney W. Swartz, Chairman
Jeffrey B. Swartz, President/CEO
Kenneth P. Pucker, Executive VP/COO
services = Heavy Duty Boots
revenue = $1,566 million USD
num_employees = 2,016 "(US)"
homepage = [http://www.timberland.com/ Timberland.com]
footnotes = cite web |url=http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/bestcompanies/2007/snapshots/78.html |title=100 Best Companies to Work For 2007 |accessdate=2007-09-05 |publisher=CNNMoney.com] [cite web |url=http://www.hoovers.com/timberland/--ID__12390--/free-co-factsheet.xhtml |title=The Timberland Company - Overview |accessdate=2007-09-05 |publisher=Hoovers]
Timberland (nyse|TBL) (or more informally Timbs, Timbos or Timmies) is a
trademarkfor a number of lines of outdoorswear, primarily boots, manufactured by The Timberland Company. Its three key locations are in Stratham, New Hampshire; Danville, Kentucky; and Ontario, California.
Although their boots are designed for
hikingand mountain climbing, they are popular as a primary element of fashion, originating from their popularity with African-Americanand Latinyouths in New York City, New Jersey, and Connecticutareas. The Timberland Company also has many items for sale in the apparel market including watches, leather goods, eyeware and other goods.
In 2007, Timberland was named one of the hundred best companies to work for by
CNN Money, and the best company to work for in the state of New Hampshire.
* In 1918, Timberland founder Nathan Swartz began his shoemaking career in Boston, Massachusetts as an apprentice stitcher.
* In 1952, Swartz bought half an interest in The Abington Shoe Company in Boston, mainly doing contract work for other manufacturers.
* In 1955, he bought the remaining interest and brought his sons into the company.
* In 1960, the Swartz family introduced the then innovative injection-molding technology into the footwear industry. This enabled the production of virtually waterproof boots by connecting the soles to the leather uppers without stitching.
* In 1973, the brand name "Timberland" was introduced for the waterproof leather boots produced by the company. Because the boot proved to be very popular, the company name was officially changed to The Timberland Company.
* In 1978 and 1979, Timberland added casual and boat shoes to its boots product line.
* In the 1980s, the company expanded internationally, first into the Italian market and later to many other countries.
* Sidney Swartz, one of the founder's sons, took the helm at the company (he still serves as chairman). Under his leadership, Timberland started to become a lifestyle brand and added clothing and women's shoes to its products.
* Throughout the 1990s, the Timberland Company added more product lines such as backpacks, watches, and kids' footwear.
* In 1998, the Timberland PRO series of "Workboots for the Professional" was launched to further expand into the lifestyle market. Jeffrey Swartz stepped up to become CEO of the company and brand his grandfather and father had started.
* In December 2006, the company acquired
howies, the Welsh clothing company. [ [http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/mid_/6357445.stm BBC NEWS | UK | Wales | Mid Wales | Timberland buys 'green' company ] ]
2007-04-26, Timberland acquired skateboard footwear company, Ipath. [cite web |url=http://digital50.com/news/items/BW/2001/07/14/20070425006469/timberland-announces-acquisition-of-ipath.html |title=Timberland Announces Acquisition of IPATH |accessdate=2007-09-05 |date= 2007-04-26]
* In October 2007, the company launched a UK website www.timberlandonline.co.uk
The Timberland Company is also active in community service, partly through its sponsorship of the
Boston-based City Year(a program labeled as an “urban Peace Corps”, striving to unite young people of varied backgrounds. It also participates in the Path of Service program, which gives employees 40 hours of paid time-off to serve in their communities, and now gives 30 employees two to three weeks a year to aid with disaster relief. Timberland aided over 170 projects with over 9,000 volunteers and generating over 53,000 hours labour during their latest Earth Dayon 2007-04-19across the globe. [ [http://www.timberland.com/corp/index.jsp?eid=7500021721&page=pressrelease Timberland - About Us ] ]
In popular culture
*The American composer and record producer
Timbaland(birth name Timothy Z. Mosley) got his stage name after the Timberland boot popular in hip-hop fashion, when he was an apprentice with fellow producer DeVante Swing.
*Many hardcore and
underground rappers of the 1990s made references to Timberland boots, particularly members of the Wu-Tang Clanand the Boot Camp Clik
* [http://www.timberland.com Company web site]
* [http://www.timberlandonline.co.uk www.timberlandonline.co.uk : e-commerce web site]
* [http://www.timberland.fr www.timberland.fr : French web site]
* [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_DbDv5Hvag Profile of Timberland's carbon neutrality on NBC Video]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
The Timberland Company — Ботинки марки Timberland «Timberland» американский мировой производитель и продавец верхней одежды, обуви. Обувь «Timberland» популярна в пешеходном тур … Википедия
Timberland — or variants therefrom may refer to:*Timberland, Lincolnshire, a village in Lincolnshire, England. *The Timberland Company, manufacturer of outdoor wear *Timberland (board game), a German board gameee also*Timbaland … Wikipedia
Timberland (entreprise) — Pour les articles homonymes, voir Timberland. Timberland Création 1952 Dates clés 1918 Fondateurs Na … Wikipédia en Français
The Collins Companies — Infobox Company company name = The Collins Companies company type = Private foundation = 1855 location = Portland, Oregon key people = Eric Schooler, President, Cherida Collins Smith, Chair of the Board industry = forest products num employees =… … Wikipedia
The Athlete's Foot — Infobox Company company name = The Athlete s Foot Brands, LLC company | founded = Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania company type = Private company slogan = Get Fit foundation = Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania location = Norcross, GA USA industry = Athletic… … Wikipedia
The Oracle, Reading — Infobox shopping mall shopping mall name = The Oracle image width = 150px caption = location = Reading, Berkshire, UK opening date = 23 September 1999 closing date = developer = Hammerson manager = Donaldsons owner = Hammerson (50%), ADIC (50%)… … Wikipedia
Ozan Lumber Company — The Ozan Lumber Company was a wealthy and productive timber company owned by the once powerful Bemis family of Arkansas during the early 20th century, based out of Nevada County. The company would dominate the economy for that region for decades … Wikipedia
Amalgamated Sugar Company — The Amalgamated Sugar Company is a sugar beet refining company run on a cooperative basis. It was founded in 1897 in Logan, Utah, and is now located in Nampa, Idaho, United States. The company markets its sugar under the White Satin brand.… … Wikipedia
Pacific Lumber Company — PALCO redirects here. For other uses, see PALCO (disambiguation). The Pacific Lumber Company PALCO Type Subsidiary Industry logging, milling Founded 1863 Headquarters Scotia, California … Wikipedia
International Paper Company — ▪ American company major American manufacturer of pulp and paper products, including printing paper, specialty paper products, packaging materials, lumber, and manufactured construction materials. It also is one of the world s largest… … Universalium