Background information Birth name Jedediah Born September 1980 Origin Fremont, California, United States Genres Hip hop
Political hip hop
Celtic hip hop
Occupations Rapper, Producer, Songwriter Instruments Vocalist, Producer Years active 2001— Labels Independent
Associated acts Beltaine's Fire Website Emcee Lynx
Lynx, or Emcee Lynx is an anarchist hip hop artist in Vallejo, California (in the San Francisco Bay Area) who has achieved significant popularity and name-recognition in the West Coast hip hop and underground hip hop scenes and among anarchists and other radicals around the world. In 2006, he was described by Donegal Press magazine as "without a doubt one of the hottest rappers in the underground hip-hop scene today" and was described as "The next KRS-1" and the successor to House of Pain.
He holds a BA in Political Science from San Francisco State University and uses his music and writing to advocate for political and social change. He often performs at anti-war and other demonstrations, along with fund raisers and benefits for radical causes and groups. He has also recorded songs for benefit albums in support of various groups, including the Anarchist Black Cross and Iraq Veterans Against the War.
All of his solo music is independently produced and released free of charge on his website as MP3s under a Creative Commons license. Fans are encouraged to donate via his website but it's entirely optional. He is an outspoken supporter of file sharing and has stated that he looks forward to the day when file sharing and other decentralized means of distribution finally bankrupt the recording industry and leave issues of payment to be decided directly between artists and fans.
Lynx's politics can be generally described as anarchist, but he also refers to himself as an autonomist, indigenist and feminist and describes his vision of an ideal future as a blend between anarcho-syndicalism and mutualism. He augments the traditional anarchist emphasis on class with a heavy emphasis on culture and history. According to interviews, his major political influences include Noam Chomsky, Ward Churchill, Emma Goldman, Peter Kropotkin, Mikhail Bakunin, Michael Collins, Lucy Parsons, and Mutualists like Pierre-Joseph Proudhon. He was formerly a member of the Industrial Workers of the World and still supports their organizing and links to their website. He is currently a member of the Workers Solidarity Alliance (WSA), a non-sectarian grouping of class-struggle oriented anarchists from across North America that includes Syndicalists, Libertarian Socialists, Especificists, and others.
Lynx's heavy emphasis on history and culture have led him to incorporate traditional Celtic music instruments and melodies into his music (his background is Scottish and Irish), and he has made an overt effort to highlight connections between the colonization of the Celtic Nations and imperialism elsewhere. He is an outspoken supporter of the rights of ethnic minorities, indigenous peoples, First Nations, and stateless nations "from Chiapas to Chechnya, Ireland to Tibet".
Lynx is also significant because he was an early advocate for File Sharing and was one of the most successful artists in the world in using the Internet as a medium to promote and distribute his work prior to the creation of sites like Myspace and iTunes that helped mainstream online music distribution. As imesh.com  put it in August 2002:
Since the release of his first album (Soundtrack for Insurrection Volume I) in early 2001, Emcee Lynx has gained international recognition in Hip-Hop's Conscious underground as one of the most articulate and innovative of a rising tide of politically active artists - winning him grassroots distribution and a loyal fan base from California to the Czech Republic.
Sound and influences
In terms of sound, Lynx is hard to pigeonhole since his sound has changed so much with each album. This is intentional, in interviews he describes his musical vision as trying to "stretch the boundaries of hip hop" as widely as possible, and is thus constantly incorporating new elements. These range from the heavy 'electronic-industrial-metal-hardcore rap' fusion on his first album to smoother trip-hop and funk influenced sounds to bass-driven 'west coast' styles. He produces most of his own instrumentals, but has collaborated with a wide range of producers in several countries. Frequent collaborators include Dub Sea of Working Classic Records in London, England, DJ Phoney of Phoney Records in Cologne, Germany, and Kdubbs of Urban Underground in San Jose, California. The Unamerican LP (2004) also featured three instrumentals by members of the Live Oak Collective from San Jose.
Lynx has also been a pioneer in Celtic Hip Hop, a new style of Celtic fusion that fuses Celtic melodies with hip hop beats and vocals. His band, Beltaine's Fire  is one of the first to play a true fusion of Celtic music and Hip Hop. They have released two full length albums and a free live demo.
- Stirring it Up: The New Dissenters - YFilms, US. 2007.
- Music For The Resistance - Circle-A Records, US. (2002)
- No Idea Compilation - 1312 Group, US.(2002)
- The Nonviolence or Nonexistence - Utopian Records, US.(2002)
- Warnography - Love and Rage Records, Australia. (2004)
- Hiphoplogia: CD Anticarcelario - Libertad Anarchist Press, Spain and Chile. (2004)
- States of Abuse Compilation - Entartete Kunst, US and UK.(2005)
- Def Sentence' - Books to Prisoners, US. (2005)
- We're out here for them! ABC Do it Together Compilation Anarchist Black Cross, Germany. (2006)
- Apocalypse - Urban Underground, US. (2007)
- Phoney Phaves - Phoney Tapes, Germany. (2007)
- A Line In The Sand - Wyld Stallion Records, benefit for Iraq Veterans Against the War. (2007)
- Best of KVMR Celtic Fest - With Beltaine's Fire, Benefit for KVMR. (2009)
- Soundtrack for Insurrection I (2001)
- Soundtrack for Insurrection II (2002)
- The Black Dog EP (2003)
- The Unamerican LP (2004)
- Living in the Shadow (2005)
- With Beltaine's Fire
- The Weapon of the Future (2007)
- Liberty (2008)
- Live at Puck's (2009)
- Anarchitecture (2011)
- Soundtrack for Insurrection (2002) Czech Version. Contains tracks from Soundtrack 1 and 2, reprinted as a benefit for the Prague Anarchist Black Cross
- The Black Dog LP and The UnAmerican LP were reprinted in Jakarta, Indonesia in (2004) as a benefit for local political prisoners.
- The UnAmerican LP was reprinted in Cologne Germany by Phoney Tapes in (2005) as a benefit for "Le Sabot," an Anarchist book store in Bonn.
- The UnAmerican LP and Living in the Shadow had three separate reprints in Portugal, Poland, and Romania as fund raisers for local anarchist groups in each area in 2006.
- ^ About Me http://emceelynx.com/?page_id=115
- ^ Donegal Press, September 2006.
- ^ wage slavery | Soundtrack for Insurrection
- ^ Free Mp3's and Lyrics | Soundtrack for Insurrection
- ^ pirates of the world unite! | Soundtrack for Insurrection
- ^ Interview on KSCU. July 27, 2003.
- ^ 
- ^ Interview on KPFT, May 27, 2003.
- ^ Emcee Lynx - CircleAlpha dot Com
- ^ Emcee Lynx - CircleAlpha dot Com
- ^ http://emceelynx.com/?cat=3 The "Gods & Religion" Category from his blog
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Lynx (disambiguation) — NOTOC Lynx is a type of wild cat. Lynx may also refer to: Business * LYNX Express (often branded simply as LYNX), formerly one of the UK s largest independent parcel carriers, now owned by UPS * Lynx electrical appliances, a brand of electrical… … Wikipedia
Rapping — Rap redirects here. For other uses, see Rap (disambiguation). MCing redirects here. For the hosting of events in general, see Master of Ceremonies. This article is about rapping as a technique or activity. For more information on the music genre … Wikipedia
List of Pantheists — * Diane Ackerman (b. 1948) * Ansel Adams (1902 ndash;1984) * Margaret Atwood (b. 1939) * Marcus Aurelius (121 ndash;180) * John Burroughs (1837 ndash;1921) * Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 ndash;1832) * David of Dinant (12th century) * Ernst… … Wikipedia
List of atheists (music) — Music* Larry Adler (1914 ndash;2001): American musician, widely acknowledged as one of the world s most skilled harmonica players. [ I was among friends and family who packed a chapel at Golders Green crematorium on Friday to hear more than two… … Wikipedia
Hip hop culture — Hip hop is a subculture, which is said to have begun with the work of DJ Kool Herc, Grandmaster Flash the Furious Five, and Afrika Bambaattaa. The four main aspects, or elements , of hip hop culture are MCing (rapping), DJing, urban inspired… … Wikipedia
Fremont, California — For the unincorporated community in Yolo County, California, see Fremont, Yolo County, California. City of Fremont City A view of Mission Peak from Fremont … Wikipedia
Vallejo, California — City of Vallejo City Vallejo City Hall and County Building … Wikipedia
Music of California — Music of the United States AK AL AR AS AZ CA CO CT DC DE FL GA GU HI IA ID IL IN KS KY LA MA … Wikipedia
List of Celtic musicians — Belgium= *Trio TradCanada*Heather Dale *Great Big Sea *Mary Jane Lamond *Ashley MacIsaac *Buddy MacMaster *Natalie MacMaster *Loreena McKennitt *The Rankin Family *Spirit of the West *The Town Pants *LeahyFrance (Breton)*Padraig Sicard… … Wikipedia
Solidarity Forever — Infobox Standard title=Solidarity Forever comment= image size= caption= writer= composer= lyricist=Ralph Chaplin published= written=1914 1915 form= original artist= recorded by=Almanac Singers, Pete Seeger, Joe Glazer performed by=Utah Phillips… … Wikipedia