- North Bay/Jack Garland Airport
North Bay Airport
North Bay/Jack Garland Airport
IATA: YYB – ICAO: CYYB
– WMO: 71731
Summary Airport type Public Owner Municipality of North Bay Operator North Bay Jack Garland Airport Corporation Serves North Bay, Ontario Location Hornell Heights Elevation AMSL 1,215 ft / 370 m Coordinates Coordinates: Website Map Runways Direction Length Surface ft m 08/26 10,004 3,049 Asphalt 18/36 4,492 1,369 Asphalt 13/31 2,500 762 Turf Statistics (2010) Aircraft movements 45,177 Source: Canada Flight Supplement
Movements from Statistics Canada
North Bay Airport or North Bay/Jack Garland Airport (IATA: YYB, ICAO: CYYB) in North Bay, Ontario, Canada is located at Hornell Heights, 4 NM (7.4 km; 4.6 mi) north-northeast of the city. The airport serves as a North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD) base.
The airport is named in memory of Jack Garland, a longtime Member of Parliament for North Bay's Nipissing electoral district. Until 2004 it hosted an annual airshow during North Bay's Heritage Festival, with a large military component.
The airport is classified as an airport of entry by NAV CANADA and is staffed by the Canada Border Services Agency. CBSA officers at this airport currently can handle general aviation aircraft only, with no more than 15 passengers.
The city has owned the airport since 1998 after transfer from Transport Canada and North Bay Jack Garland Airport Corporation has run it since 2003.
Airlines and destinations
Airlines Destinations Air Canada Express operated by Jazz Air Toronto-Pearson Essential Helicopters Charter Bearskin Airlines Ottawa, Sudbury Voyageur Airways Charter
- Latitude/Longitude: 46° 21' 50" north, 079° 25' 27" west
- Elevation: 1,215 ft (370 m) AMSL
- Magnetic Variation: 12° west
The first terminal was constructed in 1938 to house a small waiting area on the ground floor and control tower on the second. Upgrades after World War II lead to the second terminal being built in 1963. The second terminal has been renovated (completed 2010) to accommodate sole civilian use since 2006.
- 3 gates
- 6 Airline check-in counters
- rental car kiosk
- restaurant - Aramark Canada
- First Aid station
- Baby/Parent Room
- Disabled Access/Facilities
- Taxi stand
- National Car Rental and Enterprise Car Rental booths
The airport, operated by the North Bay Jack Garland Airport Corporation, is certified by Transport Canada.
Besides travel by car, the airport is serviced by local taxis and North Bay Transit. An outdoor parking lot next to the terminal has 100 regular and 4 acessible spots.
- Runway 08/26: 10,004 × 200 ft (3,049 × 61 m), paved, lighted, VASI type 2 approach lighting for both ends.
- Runway 18/36: 4,492 × 150 ft (1,369 × 46 m) paved, lighted, PAPI type 1 approach lighting for both ends.
- Runway 13/31: 2,500 × 75 ft (762 × 23 m), turf, unlighted.
There is also a glider/ski area of 2,000 × 75 ft (610 × 23 m).
- Mandatory Frequency/ATF: North Bay Radio/Traffic, 118.3 MHz (VDF no longer available as of 1 January 2008)
- RCO: London Radio, 126.7 MHz
- ATIS: 124.9 MHz
- PAL: Toronto Centre, 121.225 MHz
- VOT: 110.4 MHz
- NDBs: North Bay (YB), 394 kHz, 1.9 NM (3.5 km; 2.2 mi) 129° to airport; YELLEK (ZYB), 404 kHz, 3.8 NM (7.0 km; 4.4 mi) 77° to airport
- VOR/DME: North Bay (YYB), 115.4 MHz/Channel 101, at airport
- ILS: Runway 08/26, 110.9 MHz
Overnight parking is available through the main airport authority.
- Weisflock Aviation (Shell): 100LL and Jet-A fuel.
- Voyageur Airport Services (Esso): Jet-A fuel only.
- Jim Albertie (father of Frank);
- John Murphy;
- John David (1998 - 1999);
- Owen Andrusiak (1999 - 2003);
- Rick Cunningham (2003 - )
Incidents & accidents
An Air Canada Jazz Flight ran off the runway at YYB on arrival from YYZ. All 15 passengers escaped without injury.
- ^ a b Canada Flight Supplement. Effective 0901Z 20 October 2011 to 0901Z 15 December 2011
- ^ Synoptic/Metstat Station Information
- ^ Total aircraft movements by class of operation — NAV CANADA flight service stations
- ^ a b c http://www.northbayairport.com/history.asp
- ^ http://www.vintagepostcards.org/aviation.htm
- ^ http://www.mitchellarchitects.ca/index.php#mi=2&pt=1&pi=10000&s=0&p=2&a=0&at=0
- North Bay Airport at the city web site
- North Bay Airport
- Past three hours METARs, SPECI and current TAFs for North Bay/Jack Garland Airport from NAV CANADA as available.
Airports in Ontario with Scheduled Flights Major MinorAttawapiskat · Big Trout Lake · Cat Lake · Deer Lake · Dryden Regional · Fort Albany · Fort Frances Municipal · Fort Hope · Fort Severn · Kapuskasing · Kasabonika · Kashechewan · Keewaywin · Kenora · Kingfisher Lake · Kingston/Norman Rogers · Lansdowne House · Moosonee · Muskrat Dam · North Bay/Jack Garland · North Spirit Lake · Peawanuck · Pickle Lake · Pikangikum · Poplar Hill · Red Lake · Round Lake (Weagamow Lake) · Sachigo Lake · Sandy Lake · Sarnia (Chris Hadfield) · Sioux Lookout · Summer Beaver · Timmins · Toronto/Buttonville Municipal Airport · Webequie · Wunnummin Lake Airports in Canada By nameA–B · C–D · E–G · H–K · L–M · N–Q · R–S · T–Z By location indicatorCA · CB · CC · CD · CE · CF · CG · CH · CI · CJ · CK · CL · CM · CN · CO · CP · CR · CS · CT · CV · CW · CY · CZ By province/territory National Airports SystemCalgary · Charlottetown · Edmonton · Fredericton · Gander · Halifax · Iqaluit · Kelowna · London · Moncton · Montréal-Mirabel · Montréal-Trudeau · Ottawa · Prince George · Québec · Regina · Saint John · St. John's · Saskatoon · Thunder Bay · Toronto · Vancouver · Victoria · Whitehorse · Winnipeg · Yellowknife RelatedCategory · Portal · WikiProject
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
North Bay, Ontario — North Bay City Main Street Motto: Gateway of the North … Wikipedia
North Bay Water Aerodrome — IATA: none – ICAO: none – TC LID: CNH7 Summary Airport type Private Operator Arnstein Equipment Rentals Air North Bay … Wikipedia
Jack Garland — John Richard (Jack) Garland PC (January 1, 1918 ndash; March 14, 1964) was a Canadian politician, who was a longtime member of the Canadian House of Commons for the riding of Nipissing. He represented the Liberal Party of Canada.Garland was first … Wikipedia
Aeropuerto de North Bay — North Bay/Jack Garland Airport IATA: YYB OACI: CYYB … Wikipedia Español
Neighbourhoods in North Bay, Ontario — North Bay s Gateway Arch, located in Lee Park between Ferris and Downtown North Bay. The Canadian city of North Bay, Ontario, is divided into numerous neighbourhoods. Contents … Wikipedia
Toronto Pearson International Airport — This article is about the Canadian airport. For the airfield in the United States, see Pearson Field. For other airports in Toronto, see List of airports in the Greater Toronto Area. YYZ redirects here. For the instrumental by Rush, see YYZ… … Wikipedia
Ottawa Macdonald-Cartier International Airport — Ottawa Airport redirects here. For other airports in Ottawa, see List of airports in the Ottawa area. For the airport serving Ottawa County, Ohio, see Erie Ottawa Regional Airport. For the airport serving Ottawa, Kansas, see Ottawa Municipal… … Wikipedia
Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport — Toronto City Centre Airport Toronto Billy Bishop Airport IATA: YTZ – ICAO: CYTZ – WMO … Wikipedia
Kingston/Norman Rogers Airport — Kingston Airport IATA: YGK – ICAO: CYGK – WMO: 71620 Summary Airport … Wikipedia
Wasaya Airways — Infobox Airline airline = Wasaya Airways logo = logo size = 150px fleet size = 24 [http://www.tc.gc.ca/aviation/activepages/ccarcs/en/Current E.asp?x lang=E Transport Canada listing of aircraft owned by Wasaya Airways ] (enter Wasaya Airways in… … Wikipedia