amine N-methyltransferase Identifiers EC number 184.108.40.206 CAS number 51377-47-0 Databases IntEnz IntEnz view BRENDA BRENDA entry ExPASy NiceZyme view KEGG KEGG entry MetaCyc metabolic pathway PRIAM profile PDB structures RCSB PDB PDBe PDBsum Gene Ontology AmiGO / EGO Search PMC articles PubMed articles
In enzymology, an amine N-methyltransferase (EC 220.127.116.11) is an enzyme which is ubiquitously present in non-neural tissues and which catalyzes the N-methylation of tryptamine and structurally related compounds.
The chemical reaction taking place is:
Thus, the two substrates of this enzyme are S-adenosyl methionine and amine, whereas its two products are S-adenosylhomocysteine and methylated amine. In the case of tryptamine and serotonin these then become the dimethylated indolethylamines dimethyltryptamine (DMT) and bufotenine.
This enzyme belongs to the family of transferases, specifically those transferring one-carbon group methyltransferases. The systematic name of this enzyme class is S-adenosyl-L-methionine:amine N-methyltransferase. Other names in common use include nicotine N-methyltransferase, tryptamine N-methyltransferase, arylamine N-methyltransferase, and tryptamine methyltransferase. This enzyme participates in tryptophan metabolism.
- ^ a b MeSH tryptamine+N-methyltransferase
- ^ J., Kärkkäinen; T. Forsström; J. Tornaeus; K. Wähälä; P. Kiuru; A. Honkanen; U. -H. Stenman; U. Turpeinen; A. Hesso (April 2005). "Potentially hallucinogenic 5-hydroxytryptamine receptor ligands bufotenine and dimethyltryptamine in blood and tissues". Scandinavian Journal of Clinical and Laboratory Investigation 65 (3): 189–199. doi:10.1080/00365510510013604. PMID 16095048. http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/content~content=a713735722~db=all~order=page. Retrieved October 15, 2008.
- Ansher SS, Jakoby WB (1986). "Amine N-methyltransferases from rabbit liver". J. Biol. Chem. 261 (9): 3996–4001. PMID 3949799.
- Crooks PA, Godin CS, Damani LA, Ansher SS, Jakoby WB (1988). "Formation of quaternary amines by N-methylation of azaheterocycles with homogeneous amine N-methyltransferases". Biochem. Pharmacol. 37 (9): 1673–7. doi:10.1016/0006-2952(88)90426-1. PMID 3377829.
- EC 18.104.22.168
- Lyon ES, Jakoby WB (1981). "Arylamine N-methyltransferase". Meth. Enzymol. 77: 263–6. doi:10.1016/S0076-6879(81)77035-6. PMID 6276654.
- Boarder MR, Rodnight R (1976). "Tryptamine-N-methyltransferase activity in brain tissue: a re-examination". Brain Res. 114 (2): 359–64. doi:10.1016/0006-8993(76)90680-6. PMID 963555.
Transferase: one carbon transferases (EC 2.1) 2.1.1: Methyl-N-O-Other 2.1.2: Hydroxymethyl-,
Formyl- and RelatedHydroxymethyltransferaseFormyltransferaseOther
2.1.3: Carboxy- and CarbamoylCarboxyCarbamoyl 2.1.4: AmidinoArginine:glycine amidinotransferase
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Methyltransferase — HaeIII methyltransferase / DNA. Rendered from PDB 1DCT … Wikipedia
Amine oxidase — Ribbon representation of human diamine oxidase.  amiloride binding protein 1 … Wikipedia
Acetylserotonin O-methyltransferase — Identifiers EC number 22.214.171.124 CAS number 9029 77 0 … Wikipedia
DNA methyltransferase — N 6 DNA Methylase crystal structure of type i restriction enzyme ecoki m protein (ec 126.96.36.199) (m.ecoki) Identifiers Symbol N6 Mtase Pfam … Wikipedia
N-methyltransferase — may refer to (RS) 1 benzyl 1,2,3,4 tetrahydroisoquinoline N methyltransferase 3 hydroxy 16 methoxy 2,3 dihydrotabersonine N methyltransferase Amine N methyltransferase Anthranilate N methyltransferase (cytochrome c) arginine N methyltransferase… … Wikipedia
O-6-methylguanine-DNA methyltransferase — PDB rendering based on 1eh6 … Wikipedia
Dimethyltryptamine — Systematic (IUPAC) name 2 (1H indol 3 yl) N … Wikipedia
List of EC numbers (EC 2) — This list contains a list of EC numbers for the second group, EC 2, transferases, placed in numerical order as determined by the Nomenclature Committee of the International Union of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology.EC 2.1: Transferring One… … Wikipedia
Catechol-O-methyl transferase — Catechol O methyltransferase Cartoon diagram of human COMT in complex with 3,5 dinitrocatechol (dark blue) and S adenosyl methionine (yellow). From PDB 3BWM … Wikipedia
DNMT3B — DNA (cytosine 5 ) methyltransferase 3 beta PDB rendering based on 1khc … Wikipedia