- Comair (South Africa)
Founded 1943 (as Commercial Air Services) Hubs OR Tambo International Airport Focus cities Cape Town International Airport
King Shaka International Airport
Frequent-flyer program Executive Club Airport lounge Terraces Lounge Alliance Oneworld (Affiliate member) Fleet size 15 + 4 Order Destinations 14 Parent company British Airways
International Airlines Group
Headquarters Kempton Park, Ekurhuleni, Gauteng, South Africa Website www.comair.co.za
Comair is an airline based in South Africa. It operates scheduled services on domestic trunk routes as a British Airways franchisee and an affiliate member of the Oneworld airline alliance. Its main base is OR Tambo International Airport, Johannesburg, with hubs at Cape Town International Airport and King Shaka International Airport, Durban. Its headquarters are near OR Tambo in the Bonaero Park area of Kempton Park, Ekurhuleni, Gauteng.
The airline was founded by World War II South African Air Force (SAAF) colleagues AC Joubert, JMS Martin, L Zimmerman and JDW Human and incorporated on 17 December 1943 as Commercial Air Services. The company began charter operations on 15 June 1946 using Fairchild F-24/UC-61K Argus Mk III aircraft. Scheduled services between Rand Airport, Johannesburg and Durban began on 1 July 1948, using a Cessna Model 195.
The airline grew over the next decades, to the point where it was able to start service on major domestic routes in 1992, using Boeing 737-200 aircraft. In addition to domestic flights to destinations such as Cape Town and Durban, it also offered a few international flights in Southern Africa, e.g. to Gaborone and Harare.
A franchise agreement with British Airways was signed in 1996 and in early 2000 British Airways acquired a minority holding. It was listed on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange in July 1998. The airline is owned by the management (25%), institutions and public (52%), International Airlines Group/British Airways (18%) and employees (5%) and has 1,447 employees (at March 2007).
On 6 September 2007, Comair extended its franchise agreement with British Airways for a further 11 years.
- South Africa
Future Growth Strategy
The new services to Gaborone and Maputo mark the first phase of Comair's planned expansion into further destinations in Africa. For some time now Comair have been exploring the possibility of setting up a regional hub at Lanseria Airport. They are also looking into the opening other regional hubs in Southern Africa.
The Comair fleet includes the following aircraft in BA livery (as of 05 November 2011):
Comair/British Airways Fleet Aircraft Total Orders Passengers Notes C Y Total ATR 42-500 1 0 0 48 48 ZS-XCC
Leased from Solenta Aviation
ATR 72-212 1 3 0 66 66 ZS-XCB
Leased from Solenta Aviation
Boeing 737-300 8 0 17 100 117 Boeing 737-400 4 0 18 126 144 Boeing 767-200ER 0 1 TBA ZS-SOF
Leased from Aeronexus
Will operate London/Durban
Total 14 4
Comair's Partnership with Solenta Aviation
On 3 March 2011 Comair announced that they are to lease a 66 seater ATR 72-212 from Solenta Aviation. The aircraft has since been received and put in service with the registration ZS-XCB. It will be used to operate two new routes which will be launched on 3 May 2011. The new routes are:
The launch of the routes was later delayed to September 2011.
In October 2011 a ATR42-500 (ZS-XCC) joined the ATR72 already operated by Solenta on behalf of Comair. Later that month flights to Gaborone were dropped after only 2 months of operation
From 01 December 2011 Solenta Aviation will begin operating flights to George Airport from Lanseria International Airport on behalf of Comair. Flight will operate under the BA brand daily on a Solenta Aviation ATR72. At the same time flights from Lanseria International Airport to Maputo will increase from 8 to 10 x weekly and will operate with a improved schedule.
The flights will operate using the British Airways brand and the ATR will be in British Airways Livery. The new routes will be the first operated under the British Airways brand from Lanseria International Airport. Comair believe their new partnership with Solenta Aviation will continue to grow to include additional aircraft and more routes from both Lanseria and other potential hubs within southern Africa in the future.
Boeing 737-200 Retirement
Incidents and accidents
- On 12 October 1982, Douglas C-47A ZS-EJK was written off when it crashed into a mountain near Graskop, 36 nautical miles (67 km) from Hoedspruit when attempting to divert to that airport whilst flying under IMC rules. All 30 people on board survived.
- On 1 March 1988, Comair Flight 206, an Embraer 110 Bandeirante, crashed in Johannesburg, killing all 17 occupants.
- ^ a b "Directory: World Airlines". Flight International: p. 67. 2007-04-03.
- ^ "Contact Us." Comair. Retrieved on 30 September 2009. "Comair Limited Physical address: Cnr Atlas Road and Marignane Drive Bonaero Park 1619 South Africa"
- ^ Van Dyke, Capt Donald L (2008). Fortune Favours the Bold: An African Aviation Odyssey. Xlibris. pp. 52, 70. ISBN 9781436393140.
- ^ Van Dyke, Capt Donald L (2008). Fortune Favours the Bold: An African Aviation Odyssey. Xlibris. pp. 102. ISBN 9781436393140.
- ^ "business news Comair to stay with British Airways". business.iafrica.com. http://business.iafrica.com/news/530340.htm. Retrieved 2009-09-16.
- ^ http://www.comair.co.za/html/articleView.asp?ArticleID=145 British Airways/Comair to start flights from Lanseria to Gaborone and Maputo
- ^ http://www.travelwires.com/wp/2010/03/british-airways-unveils%E2%80%99-flights-from-or-tambo-to-nelspruit/
- ^ http://www.comair.co.za/html/articleView.asp?ArticleID=151 British Airways/Comair to temporarily suspend Dar es Salaam
- ^ http://www.comair.co.za/html/articleView.asp?ArticleID=145 Comair Explores Regional Expansion
- ^ http://www.ch-aviation.ch/aircraft.php Comair fleet
- ^ http://avcom.co.za/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=56880 Comair Aircraft configurations
- ^ http://www.routesonline.com/news/36/the-hub/110927/comair-to-go-long-haul-to-london/ Comair Lease 767
- ^ Airliners.net - Photo of ATR72 in BA livery, reg. ZS-XCB
- ^ http://www.comair.co.za/html/articleView.asp?ArticleID=145 Comair lease ATR72 from Solenta Aviation
- ^ http://airlineroute.net/2011/11/07/ba-hla-w11/ Comair drop Gaborone in favour of George
- ^ Comair Bid Farewell to their 737-200 Fleet
- ^ "C/N 19484". The Dakota Association of South Africa. http://www.dc-3.co.za/dc-3-individual-aircraft-history/cn-19484.html. Retrieved 25 July 2010.
- ^ "ZS-EJK Accident report". Aviation Safety Network. http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19821012-0. Retrieved 25 July 2010.
- ^ "Accident Synopsis » 03011988," Airdisaster.com
- ^ Comair Flight 206 accident
- Van Dyke, Capt Donald L. 'Fortune Favours the Bold: An African Aviation Odyssey. Philadelphia: Xlibris, 2008. ISBN 978-1-4363-9314-0.
International Airlines Group OperationsDestinationsDivisions and subsidiariesFranchiseesShareholdings HistoryPredecessorsAccidents and incidents PeopleAntonio Vázquez Romero · Willie Walsh Other Members of Oneworld Members Affiliate members Future members Former members Airlines of South Africa
1Time · Aerolift · Airlink · AirQuarius Aviation · Civair · Comair · Egoli Air · Federal Air · Global Aviation · Imperial Air Cargo · Interair South Africa · Kulula Air · Mango · National Airways · Naturelink · Norse Air · Phoebus Apollo Aviation · Rovos Air · Safair · Solenta Aviation · South African Airways · South African Express · Velvet Sky
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Comair South Africa — Comair Limited Rechtsform Limited ISIN ZAE000029823 Gründung … Deutsch Wikipedia
Interair South Africa — ИАТА D6 ИКАО ILN Позывной INLINE Дата основания … Википедия
Command Airways (South Africa) — This article discusses the South African helicopter airline, which should not be confused with the US regional airline, Command Airways Command Airways (South Africa) IATA CT … Wikipedia
List of companies of South Africa — This is a list of companies in South Africa. Accounting * Cubit Accounting * Hatton Consulting Airlines * Comair * Interair South Africa * South African Airways * South African Express * South African Airlink Banks * Absa Group Limited… … Wikipedia
Comair — This article is about the airline based in the United States. For the airline based in South Africa, see Comair (South Africa). Not to be confused with Con Air. Comair IAT … Wikipedia
South African Airways — S … Википедия
South African Express — ИАТА XZ ИКАО EXY Позывной EXPRESSWAYS Дата основания … Википедия
Comair (ЮАР) — Статья об южноафриканской авиакомпании Comair. Для американской одноимённой авиакомпании см. статью Comair Comair … Википедия
Comair (Sudáfrica) — IATA MN OACI CAW Indicativo COMAIR Fundación 1946 (como Commercial Air Services) … Wikipedia Español
Liste der Fluggesellschaften — Eine Fluggesellschaft (auch: Luftverkehrsgesellschaft, Fluglinie oder Airline) ist ein Unternehmen, das Personen oder Frachtgut gegen Bezahlung transportiert. Sie besitzt oder mietet Flugzeuge, mit denen der Transport ermöglicht wird. Besondere… … Deutsch Wikipedia