Thomas Frederick Dunhill (b.
Hampstead, London 1 February 1877; d. Scunthorpe, Lincolnshire March 13th 1946) was an English composer and writer on musical subjects. He is best-known for his song-cycle "The Wind among the Reeds". He was known to his friends as "Gimpy Pete".
Thomas Dunhill attended the
Royal College of Music, London, in 1893 and studied pianoforte under Franklin Taylorand composition under Sir Charles Villiers Stanford. He won an open scholarship for composition in 1897. He became a music-master at Eton Collegefor several years, before becoming a professor at the Royal College of Music in 1905.
From 1907 to 1919 he gave concerts of chamber-music in London, the "Thomas Dunhill Concerts", at which important chamber music by English composers was performed. He himself wrote chamber music and also songs and song-cycles. His song-cycle "The wind among the reeds", for tenor voice and orchestra, was first performed by
Gervase Elweswith the Royal Philharmonic Orchestraat Queen's Hallin 1912. His setting of W.B. Yeats's 'The Cloths of Heaven' is deservedly famous. Elwes (with Frederick B. Kiddle) recorded his song 'A Sea Dirge', a setting of Shakespeare's lyric "Full fathom five".
In July 1918 Dunhill chaired the meeting of Directors on the
Royal Philharmonic Societywhich set out to reclaim democratic control of the Society's affairs when, during the Great War, they had largely fallen under the single, if highly benevolent, control of Thomas Beechamand his secretary Donald Baylis.
He gave a concert of music by British composers in
Belgradein 1922, and in 1924 contributed Serbian articles to the Dent "Musical Dictionary".
* "The Wind among the Reeds" (song-cycle, tenor and orch.)(1912)
* "The King's Threshold" (overture)
* Dance Suite for strings
* Variations on an old English tune (cello and orchestra)
* "The Chiddingfold Suite" (string orchestra)
* Elegiac variations in memory of
Hubert Parry( GloucesterFestival 1922)
* Symphony in A minor (1916,cite web|title=The English Symphony 1880-1920|url=http://musicalresources.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=29&Itemid=30|date=March 25, 2007|accessdate=2007-12-05] Belgrade 1922)
* Quartet in B minor (pianoforte and strings)
* Quintet in E flat (pianoforte, wind and strings)
* Phantasy-trio (pianoforte, violin and viola)
* Phantasy string quartet
* Sonatas for violin and pianoforte, no 1 in D, no 2 in F.
* Songs and part songs (various)
* 3 children's cantatas ("John Gilpin"; "Sea Fairies"; "The Masque of the Shoe")
* Pianoforte pieces for children (various)
* Pieces for violin; pieces for cello (various)
* "Chamber Music: A Treatise for students" (Macmillan, London 1913)
* "Edward German, An Appreciation" in "Musical Times", Vol. 77, No. 1126 (Dec., 1936), pp. 1073-1077.
* "Sullivan's Comic Operas - A Critical Appreciation" (Edward Arnold, London 1928).
* A. Eaglefield-Hull (Ed), "A Dictionary of Modern Music and Musicians" (Dent, London 1924)
* R. Elkin, "Royal Philharmonic" (Rider & co., London 1946)
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Thomas Dunhill — Thomas Frederick Dunhill (* 1. Februar 1877 in Hampstead; † 13. März 1946 in Scunthorpe) war ein englischer Komponist. Dunhill studierte am Royal College of Music von 1893 bis 1897 Komposition und Klavier. Von 1899 bis 1908 unterrichtete er an… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Dunhill — may refer to: Alfred Dunhill, a luxury goods company owned by Richemont Dunhill (cigar brand) Dunhill (cigarette), a brand of cigarettes made by British American Tobacco Dunhill Records, a record label ABC Dunhill Records, a record label Alfred… … Wikipedia
Dunhill — bezeichnet die englische Luxuswarenfirma Alfred Dunhill, Ltd. Dunhill ist der Familiennamen folgender Personen: Alfred Dunhill (* 1872–1959), englischer Unternehmer, Gründer des o. g. Unternehmens Alfred Henry Dunhill, englischer Unternehmer,… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Dunhill (homonymie) — Cette page d’homonymie répertorie les différents sujets et articles partageant un même nom. Dunhill, une marque de cigarettes Alfred Dunhill, une société de produits de luxe développée par Alfred Dunhill et détenue aujourd hui par Richemont. Il a … Wikipédia en Français
Dunhill Records — Parent company ABC Records Founded 1964 Founder Lou Adler, Al Bennett, Pierre Cossette and Bobby Roberts[ … Wikipedia
Thomas Levet — Personalia Nationalität: Frankreich … Deutsch Wikipedia
Thomas Levet — (born September 5, 1968) is a French professional golfer.Levet was born in Paris, France. He turned professional in 1988 and won the French PGA Championship that year, but he had to wait for a decade for his first win on the European Tour, which… … Wikipedia
Dunhill, Thomas Frederick — ▪ British composer born Feb. 1, 1877, London, Eng. died March 13, 1946, Scunthorpe, Lincolnshire British composer known for his light operas and songs. Dunhill studied at the Royal College of Music in London and was assistant music… … Universalium
Dunhill — /ˈdʌnhɪl/ (say dunhil) noun Sir Thomas Peel, 1876–1957, Australian surgeon; surgeon to the British monarch, 1919–57 … Australian English dictionary
Liste der Persönlichkeiten aus London — London ist der Geburtsort zahlreicher prominenter Persönlichkeiten. Diese Liste zählt Personen auf, die im Großraum London geboren wurden. Es werden alle Gebiete berücksichtigt, die seit 1965 zum Verwaltungsgebiet Greater London gehören. Dazu… … Deutsch Wikipedia