Model Mugging Focus Hybrid Country of origin USA Olympic sport No
Model Mugging is a form of self-defense training that uses padded trainers or Model Muggers to simulate assaults. It was founded by Matt Thomas, co-author of the book Defend Yourself!: Every Woman's Guide to Safeguarding Her Life. Its inspiration was the 1971 rape and beating of a karate black belt. Model Mugging was originally a self-defense program designed for the specific needs of women. Women learn how to protect themselves from a single unarmed assailant (basic self-defense course), armed assailants, and multiple assailants. Others involved in the early development of Model Mugging include Danielle Smith, Julio Toribio, Sheryl Doran and Mark Morrison
Techniques and training
Model mugging training involves students role-playing and sometimes fighting through a variety of assault scenarios. Students are taught physical defenses, methods of avoiding or defusing potential assaults, verbal defenses, and decision-making under the pressure of such situations.
During the simulated assaults, heavily padded instructors, often referred to as muggers, accost, grab, or directly attack a student, who may respond (if they believe a physical response is appropriate for the situation) with full-force attacks to the padded instructor. The emotionally charged nature of the scenarios combined with the full-force nature of the fighting tend to create an adrenalized state similar to that of someone facing a real assault. The adrenalized nature of the training is intended to teach the student how to think clearly and respond in adrenalized situations.
- ^ McCaughey, Martha (1997). "Getting Mean". Real knockouts: the physical feminism of women's self-defense. NYU Press. p. 60. ISBN 9780814755778. http://books.google.com/books?id=oqlZMqMVW7gC&dq=%22model+mugging%22&source=gbs_navlinks_s. Retrieved 9 September 2010.
- ^ Encyclopedia of Violence: Frequent, Commonplace, Unexpected By Margaret Dicanio, Published by iUniverse, 2004 ISBN 0595316522, 9780595316526
- ^ Representing Rape: Model Mugging's Discursive and Embodied Performances Shannon Jackson TDR (1988-), Vol. 37, No. 3 (Autumn, 1993), pp. 110-141
- ^ a b Hartman, Carol (2001-04-12). "Conquering fear". Sacramento News & Review. http://www.newsreview.com/sacramento/content?oid=5359. Retrieved 9 September 2010.
- ^ American Fitness, Nov-Dec, 1992 by Catherine Gockley Hear me roar: "Model Mugging" self-defense courses teach women to fight back under attack and win http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0675/is_n6_v10/ai_12934048/
- ^ Tierney, John (Jan 4, 1993). "Model Mugger Earns His Pay". The News-Journal. New York Times News Service: p. 8. http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=IwwqAAAAIBAJ&sjid=L9MEAAAAIBAJ&pg=5862,1560408&dq=model-mugging&hl=en. Retrieved 9 September 2010.
- ^ Scripps Magazine by Allison Ryan Take That! Model Mugging 101 http://www.scrippscollege.edu/media/magazine/take-that-model-mugging-101
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Mugging — or mugger may refer to: A type of street robbery Steaming (crime), a variation of this type of robbery Model Mugging, a self defense training technique. The Mugger Crocodile, a species native to India, Pakistan, Iran, and Nepal. A disparaging… … Wikipedia
Danielle Smith (martial artist) — Danielle Molles Smith, Aikido 6th Degree Black Belt Danielle Molles Smith (née Evans) is one of five martial artists who developed the women s self defense system known as Model Mugging and is the current head teacher dojo cho of Aikido of… … Wikipedia
List of martial arts — There are a large number of distinct styles and schools of martial arts. Sometimes, schools or styles are introduced by individual teachers or masters, or as a brand name by a specific gym. Martial arts can be grouped by type or focus, or… … Wikipedia
Impact — In computing:* IMPACT (computer graphics), a computer graphics architecture for Silicon Graphics computer workstations * Impact Finite Element Program, an open source finite element program * Impact , a 1988 computer game published by Audiogenic… … Wikipedia
Wen-Do — Wen do, developed by Ned and Anne Paige a married couple of Toronto, OntarioFact|date=March 2007 is a form of self defense for women. Dr. Paige, an Optometrist, dedicated himself to creating a program to teach women to protect themselves after… … Wikipedia
Julio Toribio — is an American martial arts instructor and the founder of Seibukan jujutsu.From 1968 to 1975, Toribio studied Okinawan Kempo Karate under David Martinez and Narciso Bultron in Puerto Rico. In 1975 he moved to Fort Bragg, North Carolina and… … Wikipedia
Liste des arts martiaux et sports de combat — Cette liste présente seulement les arts martiaux et sports de combat strictement sans armes. Les pratiques se faisant à la fois avec et sans armes ou avec l utilisation exclusive des armes sont présentées dans leurs pages respectives. Nom courant … Wikipédia en Français
WAMM — Women Against Military Madness (Community) Wo/Men s Alliance for Medical Marijuana (Community » Non Profit Organizations) * Washtenaw Area Model Mugging Self Defense (Business » Firms) * Washington Association of Money Managers (Business » Firms) … Abbreviations dictionary
Stuart Hall (cultural theorist) — Stuart Hall (born February 3 1932 in Kingston, Jamaica) is a Jamaican cultural theorist and sociologist who has lived and worked in the United Kingdom since 1951. Hall, along with Richard Hoggart and Raymond Williams, was an early and influential … Wikipedia
Michelle Mone — Born September 7, 1972 (1972 09 07) (age 39) Glasgow, Scotland Nationality Scottish Occupation Entrepreneur, model … Wikipedia