Allendale Charter Township, Michigan
official_name = Allendale Township, Michigan
settlement_type = Township
mapsize = 250x200px
map_caption = Map of Allendale Charter Township. PDF version found under External links.
unit_pref = Imperial
area_total_km2 = 83.4
area_land_km2 = 81.1
area_water_km2 = 2.3
area_total_sq_mi = 32.2
area_land_sq_mi = 31.3
area_water_sq_mi = 0.9
population_as_of = 2000
population_total = 13042
population_density_km2 = 160.9
population_density_sq_mi = 416.7
timezone = Eastern (EST)
utc_offset = -5
timezone_DST = EDT
utc_offset_DST = -4
elevation_m = 191
elevation_ft = 627
latd = 42 |latm = 58 |lats = 40 |latNS = N
longd = 85 |longm = 57 |longs = 31 |longEW = W
coordinates_type = region:US-MI_type:adm2nd_source:GNIS
postal_code = 49401 (Allendale),
49417 Grand Haven)
area_code = 616
blank_name = FIPS code
blank_info = 26-01360GR|2
blank1_name = GNIS feature ID
blank1_info = 1625822 [gnis|1625822]
Allendale Charter Township is a
charter townshipof Ottawa County in the U.S. stateof Michigan. As of the 2000 census, the township population was 13,042.
Malta was initially chosen as the name for the township; however when the township was organized in 1849, state senator Pennoyer changed the name to Allendale, after Agnes Allen, the first person on the tax roll in the area and the widow of Hannibal Allen, who was the son of Revolutionary War hero
Ethan Allen. [ [http://www.allendale-twp.org/clerk/docs/2004_historical_recognition_plan.pdf Allendale Historical Recognition Program] ,p. 19]
There are no incorporated municipalities within the township.
* Allendale is a
census-designated placeconsisting of the northern two-thirds of the township and the Allendale ZIP code49401 serves most of the township except for the westernmost portion and small areas along the southern boundary. [ [http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet/MapItDrawServlet?geo_id=86000US49401&_bucket_id=50&tree_id=420&context=AdvSearch&_lang=en 49401 5-Digit ZCTA, 494 3-Digit ZCTA - Reference Map - American FactFinder] , U.S. Census Bureau, 2000 census]
* Grand Haven is to the northwest, and the Grand Haven ZIP code 49417 serves the northwestern corner of Allendale Township. [ [http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet/MapItDrawServlet?geo_id=86000US49417&_bucket_id=50&tree_id=420&context=AdvSearch&_lang=en 49417 5-Digit ZCTA, 494 3-Digit ZCTA - Reference Map - American FactFinder] , U.S. Census Bureau, 2000 census]
* West Olive is to the southwest, and the West Olive ZIP code 49460 serves the west central portion of Allendale Township. [ [http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet/MapItDrawServlet?geo_id=86000US49460&_bucket_id=50&tree_id=420&context=AdvSearch&_lang=en 49460 5-Digit ZCTA, 494 3-Digit ZCTA - Reference Map - American FactFinder] , U.S. Census Bureau, 2000 census]
* Zeeland is to the southwest, and the Zeeland ZIP code 49464 serves the southwest portion of Allendale Township. [ [http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet/MapItDrawServlet?geo_id=86000US49464&_bucket_id=50&tree_id=420&context=AdvSearch&_lang=en 49464 5-Digit ZCTA, 494 3-Digit ZCTA - Reference Map - American FactFinder] , U.S. Census Burea, 2000 census]
* Hudsonville is to the southeast, and the Hudsonville ZIP code serves a small area on the central part of the southern boundary of Allendale Township. [ [http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet/MapItDrawServlet?geo_id=86000US49426&_bucket_id=50&tree_id=420&context=AdvSearch&_lang=en 49426 5-Digit ZCTA, 494 3-Digit ZCTA - Reference Map - American FactFinder] , U.S. Census Bureau, 2000 census]
* Jenison is to the southeast, and the Jenison ZIP code 49428 serves a small area in the southeast corner of the Allendale Township. [ [http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet/MapItDrawServlet?geo_id=86000US49428&_bucket_id=50&tree_id=420&context=AdvSearch&_lang=en 49428 5-Digit ZCTA, 494 3-Digit ZCTA - Reference Map - American FactFinder] , U.S. Census Bureau, 2000 census]
* Pearline, also known as East Allendale, is an unincorporated community about one mile east east of Allendale on M-45/Lake Michigan Dr. at coord|42|58|20|N|85|55|27|W|region:US-MI_type:city_scale:30000_source:GNIS|name=Pearline, Michigan. [gnis|634530|Pearline, Michigan] Fruit grower Joh W. Everhart was the first postmaster of a rural post office here, which operated from April 29, 1891 until May 31, 1908.cite book | last = Romig | first = Walter | authorlink=Walter Romig | year = 1986 | title = Michigan Place Names | origyear= 1973 | publisher = Wayne State University Press | location = Detroit, Michigan | id = ISBN 0-8143-1838-X]
According to the
United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 32.2 square miles (83.4 km²), of which, 31.3 square miles (81.1 km²) of it is land and 0.9 square miles (2.3 km²) of it (2.80%) is water.
The Grand River forms the northern and eastern boundaries of the township. Georgetown Township is to the southeast, Blendon Township to the south, Olive Township to the southwest, Robinson Township to the west. Across the Grand River, Crockery Township is to the northwest, Polkton Township to the north, and Tallmadge Township to the east and northeast.
M-45 crosses east-west through the township, and crosses the Grand River in the east. The only other road to cross the Grand River is 68th Ave in the north.
As of the
censusGR|2 of 2000, there were 13,042 people, 3,306 households, and 2,294 families residing in the township. The population densitywas 416.7 per square mile (160.9/km²). There were 3,492 housing units at an average density of 111.6/sq mi (43.1/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 93.61% White, 2.68% African American, 0.35% Native American, 0.84% Asian, 0.07% Pacific Islander, 1.43% from other races, and 1.01% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.88% of the population.
There were 3,306 households out of which 39.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 60.8% were married couples living together, 5.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 30.6% were non-families. 15.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 3.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.03 and the average family size was 3.41.
In the township the population was spread out with 22.3% under the age of 18, 39.3% from 18 to 24, 23.2% from 25 to 44, 10.5% from 45 to 64, and 4.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 21 years. For every 100 females there were 89.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 85.5 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $48,669, and the median income for a family was $58,576. Males had a median income of $40,419 versus $25,188 for females. The
per capita incomefor the township was $15,065. About 2.8% of families and 11.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 3.9% of those under age 18 and 3.3% of those age 65 or over.
* [http://www.allendale-twp.org/ Allendale Charter Township]
* [http://www.boomersharp.com/projects/AllendaleCharterTownship.pdf PDF Map of Allendale Charter Township]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Jamestown Charter Township, Michigan — There is also James Township, Michigan in Saginaw County. Jamestown Charter Township, Michigan Charter township Nickname(s): Jamestown … Wikipedia
Zeeland Charter Township, Michigan — Charter township … Wikipedia
Grand Haven Charter Township, Michigan — Infobox Settlement official name = Grand Haven Township, Michigan settlement type = Township nickname = motto = imagesize = image caption = image |pushpin pushpin label position =left pushpin map caption =Location within the state of Michigan… … Wikipedia
Crockery Township, Michigan — Township … Wikipedia
Blendon Township, Michigan — Infobox Settlement official name = Blendon Township, Michigan settlement type = Township nickname = motto = imagesize = image caption = image |pushpin pushpin label position =left pushpin map caption =Location within the state of Michigan pushpin … Wikipedia
Allendale — may refer to the following places:;In Australia * Allendale, Victoria;In Canada * Allendale, Edmonton, a neighbourhood. * Allendale Junior High School, a junior high school in Edmonton, Alberta;In England * Allendale, Northumberland;In the United … Wikipedia
Michigan locations by per capita income — Michigan has the fifteenth highest per capita income in the United States of America at $22,168 (2000). Barton Hills, Michigan – $110,683 Bloomfield Hills, Michigan – $104,920 Grosse Pointe Shores, Michigan – $97,859 Franklin, Michigan – $89,256… … Wikipedia
Allendale, Michigan — Infobox Settlement official name = Allendale, Michigan settlement type = CDP nickname = motto = imagesize = image caption = image |pushpin pushpin label position = pushpin map caption = pushpin mapsize = imagesize = image caption = image |pushpin … Wikipedia
Ottawa County, Michigan — Seal … Wikipedia
List of cities, villages, and townships in Michigan — This is a list of cities, villages, townships, some unincorporated communities, and some census designated places (CDPs) in the U.S. state of Michigan, arranged in alphabetical order. Michigan has 276 cities, 257 villages, 1,240 townships, and… … Wikipedia