"Pocket Tanks" is a 1-2 player
computer gamefor Windows and Mac OS X, created by Blitwise Productions, developer of " Super DX-Ball" and " Neon Wars". Adapted from Michael Welch's earlier Amigagame " Scorched Tanks", this newer version features modified physics, dozens of weapons ranging from simple explosive shells to homing missiles, and the ability to move the tank. It supports several expansion packs. At the moment, players can have up to 230 different weapons total. Pocket Tanks is often abbreviated as PTanks.
First, the players are taken to the "weapon shop", where they take turns picking weapons. There are 20 randomly generated weapons.Two tanks, one always a human and one can be played with AI or a friend, lob shots at each other at a turn basis. Each weapon can only be used once. Different weapons have extremely varying effects. These effects generally are:
* Dirt creation
* Dirt removal
* Randomizing of the tank's angle and power
* Kick back
* Giving the dirt around the area special properties
This gives the game strategic depth. There are also defensive weapons, such as shelter, flak, great wall, magic wall, and bouncy wall. This gives the game yet another strategic dimension. Hits give the opponents score, and there is no "health", so there will ALWAYS be 20 shots fired. At the end of the game, the person with the most points wins.
Version 1.3 was released November 2007. It contains more bug fixes, LAN and IP support.
There are "weapon packs" available which give the player more weapon choices during gameplay. However, these expansion packs are only available to those who own "Pocket Tanks Deluxe". All packs that include 5 weapons are free, while those with 15 have to be purchased. Here is a list of current Expansion Packs:
* Laser Pack - 15 weapons (only for v1.2): Space Laser, Bunker Buster, Bushwhack, Repeater, Puddle Jumper, Elevator, Breakout, Orbiter, Bouncy Tunnel, Barrage, Fire Hose, Bumpers, Web, Blowtorch, Mudslide.
* Rocket Pack - 5 weapons (only for v1.2): Pop Rocket, Sky Strike, Power Washer, Cheap Shot, Blackout.
* Magic Pack - 5 weapons (only for v1.2): Magic Beans, Grab Bag, Railgun, Sandstorm, Lemon.
* Acid Pack - 15 weapons (only for v1.2): Acid Bombs, Chroma Blaster, Cauldron, Zipper, Bubble Wrap, Chalk Dust, Mower, Trailblazer, Bulldozer, Lead Balloon, Dive Bomb, Toaster, Time Bomb, Burn Barrel, Char.
* Nano Pack - 5 weapons (only for v1.2): Nanobots, Phase Missile, Gyro Glue, Warp Gate, Tesla Coil.
* Fuzz Pack - 5 weapons: Fuzz Ball, Burning Rubber, Side Kick, Blockade, Stun Gun.
* Tornado Pack - 15 weapons (only for v1.2, an engine improvement has been done for this update that allows the effects in this pack): Tornado, Thor's Hammer, Stampede, Hot Coals, Fizz Bombs, Graviton, Shield, Firefly, Glue Storm, Glue Gun, Run 'n' Gun, Scorcher, Saucer Attack, Tractor Beam, Smoke Bomb.
* Snowball Pack - 5 weapons: Snowballs, Sledgehammer, Collide-o-scope, Neon Blast, Island.
* Gold Pack - 15 weapons: Golden Bullet, Melt down, Streamers, Mass Driver, Molten Plastic, Spinner, Flying Discs, Phaser, Shredder, Aqua Bomb, Tunnel, Lava, Bouncy Ball, Laser Strike, Whiplash.
* Gravity Pack - 5 weapons: Gravity Well, Hot Potato, Funnel, Crazy Wall, Burnt Popcorn.
* Fireworks Pack - 15 weapons: Fireworks, Super Nova, Great Wall, Snowblower, Lava Cannon, Solar Flare, 10 Shot, Stinger, Mega Reaction, Ant Farm, Sonic Blast, Rockslide, Lightning Rod, Star Dust, Water Balloons.
* Super Pack - 5 weapons: Fireball, Flea Circus, Super Star, Drillers, Gamma Blaster.
* Chaos Pack - 5 weapons: Chaos Grenade, Tar Ball, Lightning Strike, Acid Rain, Porcupine.
* Power Pack - 15 weapons: Power Grid, Shadow Blast, X-Ray Cannon, Bazooka, Lucky Shot, Shelter, Fire + Ice, Anvil, Flare, Super Flare, Fracture, Claymore, Phantom, Earth Mover, Flak.
* Flamethrower Pack - 5 weapons: Flamethrower, Skimmer, Volcano, Pedestal, Fire Storm.
* Meteor Pack - 15 weapons: Meteor Shower, Roman Candle, Flying Digger, Comet, Sunburn, Riptide, Buzzsaw, Static Ball, Mystery Bombs, Flower Power, Turn and Burn, Dome Protect, Backfire, Old Faithful, Bouncy Bomb.
* Nuke Pack - 5 weapons: Nuke, Mega Nuke, Pillow Fight, Sink and Swim, Hot Foot
* Ambush Pack - 15 weapons: Ambush, Beehive, Blast Off, Fire in the Hole, Lob-o-Matic, Rainbow Dirt, Super Laser, Ground Shocker, Bouncy Wall, Lodestones, Particle Bomb, Magic Forest, Buckshot, Quad Missile, Carpet Bomb.
These are 230 weapons total including 30 from the Demo and 30 from the Deluxe Version.
A Collector's Edition of Pocket Tanks was released on November 16, 2007. It contains the first 14 expansion packs and the Deluxe version of Pocket Tanks. The CD and case comes with special art, and it is cheaper to buy the expansion packs through the Collector's Edition, but other than that there are no differences between the Deluxe and Collector's Edition.
Network play has been made available with the latest (v1.3) release. Actual online play will be developed in the future, although it is possible to simulate this through
Hamachior other similar programs. A hidden IP-to-IP mode can also be enabled by editing a settings file. [http://forums.blitwise.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2616]
The weapon "Laser Battery" may be a reference to the Metallica song called "Battery", where the lyrics says "Circle of destruction hammer comes crushing". This is what the weapon does, it circles around the target before it falls onto the target to give the "crushing" effect.
* [http://www.blitwise.com/ptanks.html Official site]
* [http://download.nytimes.com/Pocket-Tanks/9103-8027_4-10067397.html?tag=tab_rev cnet editor review]
* [http://www.insidemacgames.com/reviews/view.php?ID=366 Inside Mac Games review]
* [http://www.macworld.com/article/23601/2003/06/thegameroom.html MacWorld review]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Pocket Tanks — Deluxe Разработчик Blitwise Productions Дата выпуска … Википедия
Pocket Tanks Deluxe — Разработчик Blitwise Productions Дата выпуска 29 ноября … Википедия
Colmar Pocket — The Colmar Pocket Part of World War II Date 20 January 1945 9 February 1945 Location Around Colmar, Alsace … Wikipedia
Falaise pocket — Coordinates: 48°53′34″N 0°11′31″W / 48.89278°N 0.19194°W / 48.89278; 0.19194 … Wikipedia
Battle of the Korsun-Cherkassy Pocket — For the computer game with a similar name, see Decisive Battles of WWII: Korsun Pocket. Battle of the Korsun Cherkassy Pocket Part of the Eastern Front of World War II … Wikipedia
Korsun-Cherkassy Pocket — Infobox Military Conflict conflict=Battle of the Korsun Cherkassy Pocket caption= partof=the Eastern Front of World War II place=Cherkassy / Korsun, USSR date=January 24, 1944 ndash; February 16, 1944 result=|result=Soviet victory; German… … Wikipedia
Operation Medak Pocket — Part of the Croatian War of Independence … Wikipedia
Kamenets-Podolsky Pocket — Infobox Military Conflict conflict=Battle of the Kamenets Podolsky Pocket caption=German Sd.Kfz 251 series armoured personnel carriers of Korpsgruppe Breith. partof=the Eastern Front of World War II place=Kamenets Podolsky / Tarnopol, USSR… … Wikipedia
German pocket battleship Admiral Graf Spee — The Admiral Graf Spee was one of the most famous German naval warships of World War II, along with the Bismarck . Her size was limited to that of a cruiser by the Treaty of Versailles, however she was as heavily armed as a battleship due to… … Wikipedia
Lend-Lease Sherman tanks — Infobox Weapon name=Medium Tank M4A2 Sherman III caption=Medium Tank M4A2 Sherman III . Most of these, the only large production diesel variant, were Lend Leased to the Allies origin=flagcountry|United States type= is vehicle=yes crew=5… … Wikipedia