- Gulf of Oman
The Gulf of Oman or Sea of Oman (Arabic: خليج عُمان—Ḫalīdj ʾUmān; alternatively known as خليج مکران—, Ḫalīdj Makrān; in Persian: دریای عمان Daryā-ye Ommān, or دریای پارس Daryā-ye Pārs) is a strait (and not an actual gulf) that connects the Arabian Sea with the Strait of Hormuz, which then runs to the Persian Gulf. It is generally included as a branch of the Persian Gulf, not as an arm of the Arabian Sea. On the north coast is Pakistan and Iran. On the south coast are Oman in the east, and the United Arab Emirates for a short distance in the west.
- "The Book of Duarte Barbosa" by Duarte Barbosa, Mansel Longworth Dames. 1989. p.79. ISBN 81-206-0451-2
- "The Natural History of Pliny". by Pliny, Henry Thomas Riley, John Bostock. 1855. p.117
- "The Countries and Tribes of the Persian Gulf" by Samuel Barrett Miles - 1966. p.148
- "The Life & Strange Surprising Adventures of Robinson Crusoe of York, Mariner". by Daniel Defoe. 1895. p.279
- "The Outline of History: Being a Plain History of Life and Mankind". by Herbert George Well. 1920. p.379.
- "The New Schaff-Herzog Encyclopedia of Religious Knowledge" by Johann Jakob Herzog, Philip Schaff, Albert Hauck. 1910. p.242
- ^ "Limits of Oceans and Seas, 3rd edition". International Hydrographic Organization. 1953. http://www.iho-ohi.net/iho_pubs/standard/S-23/S23_1953.pdf. Retrieved 7 February 2010.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Gulf of Oman — noun an arm of the Arabian Sea connecting it with the Persian Gulf • Instance Hypernyms: ↑gulf • Part Holonyms: ↑Arabian Sea … Useful english dictionary
Gulf of Oman — bay that is located between Oman and Iran, northwestern arm of the Arabian Sea … English contemporary dictionary
Oman national football team — Oman سلطنة عُمان Nickname(s) Al Ahmar (The Red) Al Khanajar Al Omania (The Omani Daggers) Al Halwa Al Omania (The Sweet of Oman) Al Samba Al Khaleejia (Sambas of the Gulf) … Wikipedia
Oman — /oh mahn /, n. 1. Sultanate of. Formerly, Muscat and Oman. an independent sultanate in SE Arabia. 2,264,590; ab. 82,800 sq. mi. (212,380 sq. km). Cap.: Muscat. 2. Gulf of, a NW arm of the Arabian Sea, at the entrance to the Persian Gulf. * * *… … Universalium
Oman — Sultanate of Oman سلطنة عُمان Salṭanat ʻUmān … Wikipedia
Gulf War — This article is about the war in 1990/91. For other wars of that name, see Persian Gulf War (disambiguation). Operation Desert Storm redirects here. For the video game, see Operation: Desert Storm (video game). Gulf War … Wikipedia
Oman, Gulf of — Northwestern arm of the Arabian Sea, between the eastern part of the Arabian Peninsula and Iran. It is about 230 mi (370 km) wide and 340 mi (545 km) long and connects with the Persian Gulf through the Strait of Hormuz. It is the only entrance to … Universalium
gulf — gulflike, adj. gulfy, adj. /gulf/, n. 1. a portion of an ocean or sea partly enclosed by land. 2. a deep hollow; chasm or abyss. 3. any wide separation, as in position, status, or education. 4. something that engulfs or swallows up. v.t. 5. to… … Universalium
Oman — <p></p> <p></p> Introduction ::Oman <p></p> Background: <p></p> The inhabitants of the area of Oman have long prospered on Indian Ocean trade. In the late 18th century, a newly established sultanate … The World Factbook
Gulf of Mexico — The Gulf of Mexico in 3D perspective Earth s oceans (World Ocean) Arctic Ocean Atlanti … Wikipedia