Rota (Chamoru: "Luta") also known as the "peaceful island", is the southernmost island of the
United StatesCommonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI) and the second southernmost of the Marianas Archipelago. It lies slightly northeast of the United States territory of Guam. Songsongvillage is the largest and most populated followed by Sinapalovillage (Sinapalu). Rota was discovered by Spanish navigator Juan Sebastian Elcanoin 1524, who claimed it together with the Mariana Archipelago for the Crown of Spain. Rota has diverse flora and fauna. The current mayor is Joseph S. Inos, a former senator of the CNMI.
* Area: 85.38 square kilometers (32.967 square miles)
* Dimensions (approximately):
** 16.9-kilometers (10.5-miles) long
** 4.8-kilometers (3-miles) wide
* Coastline: 61.6 kilometers (38.3 miles)
* Highest point: Mt. Manira - 495 meters (1,625 ft)
* Population: 3,283 (2000 - U.S. Census Bureau) [ [http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/2001/cb01cn173.html 2000 Population: Counts for the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands] - Census Bureau Releases - July 3, 2001]
Guam- 76 kilometers (47 miles; south)
Tinian- 101 kilometers (63 miles; north)
Saipan- 117 kilometers (73 miles; north)
Rota International Airport
Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands Public School Systemoperates public schools.
Rota has three (3) school locations based on grade level:
*Rota High School (only high school on Rota) is located at the Liyo Area in Songsong village.
*Rota Junior High School is located in Songsong village.
*Rota Sinapalo Elementary School is located in Sinapalo village.
Rota's elementary school and junior high school (middle school) were formally located in the same area and shared class buildings at Songsong village. After the new elementary school was built in Sinapalo, the Songsong village school ground was reopened as Rota Junior High.
List of Registered Historic Places in the Northern Mariana Islands
* [http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet/DTTable?_bm=y&-show_geoid=Y&-tree_id=405&-_caller=geoselect&-context=dt&-errMsg=&-all_geo_types=N&-mt_name=DEC_2000_IAMP_P001&-redoLog=false&-transpose=N&-search_map_config=|b=50|l=en|t=4001|zf=0.0|ms=sel_00dec|dw=0.9528487917191559|dh=0.6838460131961157|dt=gov.census.aff.domain.map.EnglishMapExtent|if=gif|cx=-67.48042614595042|cy=18.385966173167105|zl=6|pz=6|bo=318:317:316:314:313:323:319|bl=362:393:358:357:356:355:354|ft=350:349:335:389:388:332:331|fl=381:403:204:380:369:379:368|g=04000US72&-PANEL_ID=p_dt_geo_map&-_lang=en&-geo_id=05000US69100&-CONTEXT=dt&-format=&-search_results=ALL&-ds_name=DEC_2000_IAMP Rota Municipality, United States Census Bureau]
* [http://gaebler.info/sonstiges/marianen.htm Pascal Horst Lehne and Christoph Gäbler: "Über die Marianen." Lehne-Verlag, Wohldorf in Germany 1972.] and [http://gaebler.info/sonstiges/marianen.htm#rota Rota]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Rota — may refer to:* Rota , a popular company known for manufacturing both OEM and aftermarket wheels for vehicles. * Rota , the feminine form of the Chilean term roto * Róta, a Valkyrie in Norse mythology, who chose those who were about to die on the… … Wikipedia
Rota International Airport — Infobox Airport name = Rota International Airport image width = caption = IATA = ROP ICAO = PGRO FAA = GRO type = Public owner = [http://cpa.gov.mp/ Commonwealth Ports Authority] operator = city served = location = Rota Island elevation f = 607… … Wikipedia
Rota (Insel) — Rota Küste von Rota Gewässer Pazifischer Ozean … Deutsch Wikipedia
rota — rota1 /roh teuh/, n. 1. Chiefly Brit. a. a round or rotation of duties; a period of work or duty taken in rotation with others. b. an agenda or circuit of sporting events, as a round of golf tournaments, played in different localities throughout… … Universalium
Rota — /rddaw tah/, n. Nino /nee naw/, born 1911, Italian composer. * * * ▪ island, Northern Mariana Islands formerly Sarpan one of the Mariana Islands and part of the Northern Mariana Islands, a commonwealth of the United States, in the west … Universalium
Rota — I. biographical name Nino 1911 1979 Italian composer II. geographical name 1. island W Pacific at S end of the Marianas area 35 square miles (91 square kilometers) 2. town & port SW Spain on the Atlantic NW of Cádiz … New Collegiate Dictionary
Sa Rota d'en Palerm Rural Estates Mallorca Island (Mallorca Island) — Sa Rota d en Palerm Rural Estates Mallorca Island country: Spain, city: Mallorca Island (Inland Rural Area) Sa Rota d en Palerm Rural Estates Mallorca Island Sa Rota is situated right in the centre of Majorca. It is a XVIII century stately home… … International hotels
Pacific Island Aviation — Short 360 at Antonio B. Won Pat International Airport in 2004 … Wikipedia
Naval Station Rota Spain — Naval Station Rota Rota, Spain US Naval Station Rota logo Type Military base … Wikipedia
Naval Station Rota, Spain — U.S. Naval Station Rota (NAVSTA Rota) (ICAO: LERT) in Rota, Spain, located in the small fishing village and tourism center of Rota and near the Spanish town of El Puerto de Santa María, is the largest American military base in Spain and houses US … Wikipedia