Mister Pip Author(s) Lloyd Jones Country New Zealand Genre(s) Fiction Publication date 2006 Pages 256 pp (paperback) ISBN 978-0-385-34 107-3
Lloyd Jones wrote 11 versions of the novel  originally setting it on an unnamed Pacific island. The novel was ultimately set against the backdrop of the civil war on Bougainville Island during the early 1990s.
On the small copper mining island of Bougainville all of the teachers, along with most of the other residents fled while one white man, Mr. Watts, stays on the island and becomes the teacher for many of the remaining native children of the island. Mr. Watts reads to the children from Charles Dickens's novel Great Expectations. The children of the island, including the main character, Matilda, are fascinated by the young orphan boy, Pip, and his travels through London.
- Matilda is the main character in the novel. She was in her early teens and was still attending classes, which were taught by Mr. Watts. Matilda has lived on the island her whole life, where she lives with only her mother, Dolores. Her character is quite reliable given that the book is written with the first person narrative and so when the character talks about him or herself, we know it's the truth.
- Mr. Watts (Pop Eye) is the only white man left on the island after most of the citizens left. He has a mysterious history, that many of the islanders long to know about with one of the many mysteries being the marriage to his wife Grace. He taught the children of the island and read to them, each day reading a chapter of Great Expectations.
- Dolores is the mother of Matilda and a strong believer in an unknown Christian denomination. She has many different view points on issues with Mr. Watts.
- Grace (Sheba) is the second wife of Mr. Watts. She was born on Bougainville Island, but moved to Wellington, New Zealand to study in the field of dentistry, where she fell in love with Mr. Watts. Grace returned to Bougainville Island with Mr. Watts where she lived in an old European mission building.
Mister Pip was shortlisted for the Man Booker Prize in 2007; the novel won the Commonwealth Writers' Prize for best book in Southeast Asia and the South Pacific, and also won the Montana Medal for Fiction or Poetry  in 2007.
- Andrew Adamson has written a movie adaption to Mister Pip, which he will also direct. Hugh Laurie has signed on to play Mr Watts. He has filmed in Bougainville, Papua New Guinea and has filmed in various locations in and around New Zealand. On July 29 and 30th 2011 he was filming at Glendowie College, and at a flight training centre at Albert Street, Newmarket, Auckland.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Pip the Troll — Superherobox| caption=Pip the Troll Art by Jim Starlin. comic color=background:#ff8080 character name=Pip the Troll real name=Pip Gofern species=Laxidazian publisher=Marvel Comics debut= Strange Tales #179 (Feb 1975) creators=Jim Starlin alliance … Wikipedia
Lloyd Jones (New Zealand author) — Lloyd Jones (born in Lower Hutt, 23 March, 1955) is a New Zealand author who currently resides in Wellington.He is a graduate of Victoria University. In 1988 he was the recipient of the Katherine Mansfield Memorial Fellowship. In 1994 he curated… … Wikipedia
Lloyd Jones (Schriftsteller) — Lloyd Jones (* 23. März 1955 in Lower Hutt nahe Wellington) ist ein neuseeländischer Schriftsteller. Er gilt als herausragender zeitgenössischer Romancier des Landes, ist aber auch als Essayist, Herausgeber und Autor von Kinderbüchern in… … Deutsch Wikipedia
literature — /lit euhr euh cheuhr, choor , li treuh /, n. 1. writings in which expression and form, in connection with ideas of permanent and universal interest, are characteristic or essential features, as poetry, novels, history, biography, and essays. 2.… … Universalium
Great Expectations — This article is about the Charles Dickens novel. For other uses, see Great Expectations (disambiguation). Great Expectations … Wikipedia
Les Grandes Esperances (roman) — Les Grandes Espérances (roman) Les Grandes Espérances Auteur Genre Roman Version originale Titre original Great Expectations Éditeur original Chapman Hall Langue originale Anglais Pays d origine … Wikipédia en Français
Les Grandes Espérances — Pour les articles homonymes, voir Les Grandes Espérances (homonymie). De Grandes espérances (publié avec Souvenirs intimes de David Copperfield) … Wikipédia en Français
Bougainville — Karte der Insel Gewässer Pazifischer Ozean Inselgruppe … Deutsch Wikipedia
Bougainville-Provinz — Bougainville ist eine etwa 8800 km² große Insel im pazifischen Ozean. Sie gehört geografisch zum Archipel der Salomonen, politisch bildet sie jedoch zusammen mit der 500 km² großen Nachbarinsel Buka die einzige autonome Region von Papua Neuguinea … Deutsch Wikipedia
PG-NSA — Bougainville ist eine etwa 8800 km² große Insel im pazifischen Ozean. Sie gehört geografisch zum Archipel der Salomonen, politisch bildet sie jedoch zusammen mit der 500 km² großen Nachbarinsel Buka die einzige autonome Region von Papua Neuguinea … Deutsch Wikipedia