Assembly Square is a mixed-use,
smart growthdevelopment located on convert|66.5|acre|m2 along the Mystic River in Somerville, Massachusetts. The site is two miles (3 km) from downtown Boston and accessible via I-93 and Route 28/Middlesex Fells Parkway.
Currently under redevelopment by Federal Realty Investment Trust, the new Assembly Square will combine retail, residential and commercial office space. The first phase of the project, completed in early 2006, was the Assembly Square Marketplace containing the retail stores
Christmas Tree Shoppes, A.C. Moore, Sports Authority, Staples, TJMaxx, Kmart, and Bed Bath & Beyond.
The next phase of development is expected to begin in 2008 with the building of a new
IKEAstore. Subsequent phases will include the development of a new main street providing premium retail and residential space, state-of-the-art office and research and developmentspace, a new MBTA Orange Linemass transit station and the renewal of the waterfront along the Mystic River with parks and other green space. When completed, Assembly Square will have pedestrian-oriented retail, housing, and convert|1750000|sqft|m2 of office and R&D space. [ [http://www.somervillema.gov/Section.cfm?org=ECONDEVEL&page=750 City Of Somerville - Assembly Square PUD 10/26/06 ] ]
Assembly Square Mallopens. The building was originally a Ford Motors factory, [ [http://www.secinfo.com/dsbzp.81q.htm SEC Info - Shopco Regional Malls LP - 10-K - For 12/31/96 ] ] then a supermarket distribution center before being converted into the mall.
* March 2005: Federal Realty Investment Trust purchases Assembly Square and an adjacent convert|220000|sqft|m2|sing=on retail/industrial complex. [ [http://www.federalrealty.com/pressroom/press_release.php?rid=680463&year=2005 Federal Realty Investment Trust ] ]
* August 2005: The federal transportation funding bill, which includes $25 million earmark in federal transportation funding for a new Assembly Square station on the MBTA’s Orange Line, is signed into law. [ [http://www.somervillestep.org/2005/08/boston_globe_25.html STEP: Boston Globe: $25M for Assembly Square stop ] ]
* 2005/2006: The new
Assembly Square Marketplaceopens with retailers including Christmas Tree Shoppes; A.C. Moore; Sports Authority; Staples; Kmart; TJ Maxx and Bed, Bath & Beyond.
* April 2006: IKEA and Federal Realty announce agreement in principle on land swap and Federal Realty unveils preliminary master plan for Assembly Square. [ [http://www.somervillema.gov/newsDetail.cfm?instance_id=824 City Of Somerville - News Detail ] ]
* October 2006: Federal Realty, IKEA and Mystic View Task Force announce landmark accord including Federal Realty and IKEA’s $15 million contribution to a new Orange Line station and a long-term vision for Assembly Square with five million square feet of retail, residential, office, research and development space. [ [http://www.somervillema.gov/newsDetail.cfm?instance_id=928 City Of Somerville - News Detail ] ]
* Spring 2008 (expected): IKEA construction begins.
* Fall 2009 (expected): IKEA opens [ [http://www.somervillema.gov/spotlight.cfm?id=36 City Of Somerville - Assembly Square ] ]
* 2013 (expected): Orange Line station opens
When completed, Assembly Square is expected to bring an estimated $15 million in new tax revenue (or about 9 percent of Somerville’s total 2006 budget) to the city each year. [http://www.assemblysquare.com/redevelopment.html :::Assembly Square::: ] ] Several thousand new office, retail and professional jobs, are expected to be created. The design is intended to link
Mystic Riverwaterfront with surrounding parks by adding a pedestrian esplenade and bike paths.
Ownership and funding
As of 2008, the Assembly Square development is owned by Federal Realty Investment Trust, a $6 billion real estate investment trust based in
Rockville, Maryland. The firm’s Boston-area portfolio contains more than two million square feet of retail space, including the properties owned through Federal Realty’s joint venture with Clarion Lion Properties Fund. [ [http://www.federalrealty.com/pressroom/press_release.php?rid=996630&year=2007 Federal Realty Investment Trust ] ]
Other sites owned by Federal Realty in the Boston area include Linden Square in
Wellesley, Massachusetts; Chelsea Commons in Chelsea, Massachusetts; and North Dartmouth Shopping Center in North Dartmouth, Massachusetts.
The federal government will contribute $25M for the Orange Line stop which will be owned and operated by the
MBTA. Federal Investment Realty Trust will contribute $10M and IKEA $5M. [ [http://www.somervillema.gov/NewsDetail.cfm?instance_id=1093 City Of Somerville - News Detail ] ]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Assembly Square Marketplace — is currently a power centre and mixed use development located in Somerville, Massachusetts. From the 1980s until the mid 2000s, it was an enclosed shopping mall called Assembly Square Mall. Scheduled plans for the facility call for a six phased… … Wikipedia
Assembly of the Republic of Albania — Parliament of Albania Kuvendi i Shqipërisë Legislature XVIII Type Type … Wikipedia
Temple Square — Infobox nrhp | name =Temple Square nrhp type =nhld caption = This photo of Temple Square, circa 1897, shows that the plot housed the tallest buildings in Salt Lake City at the time, namely the Salt Lake Temple, Tabernacle and Assembly Hall.… … Wikipedia
New Square, New York — See related article Skver (Hasidic dynasty) New Square, New York Village … Wikipedia
Temple Square — 40° 46′ 13″ N 111° 53′ 33″ W / 40.77041, 111.89246 … Wikipédia en Français
Salt Lake Assembly Hall — 40° 46′ 11″ N 111° 53′ 36″ W / 40.7697, 111.8932 … Wikipédia en Français
Salt Lake Assembly Hall — The Salt Lake Assembly Hall is one of the buildings owned by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints on the southwest corner of Temple Square in Salt Lake City, Utah.DesignThe Salt Lake Assembly Hall is a Victorian Gothic congregation… … Wikipedia
X86 assembly language — is the assembly language for the x86 class of processors, which includes Intel s Pentium series and AMD s Athlon series. Like all assembly languages, it uses short mnemonics to represent the fundamental operations that the CPU in a computer can… … Wikipedia
National Assembly of Serbia — Народна скупштина Србије Narodna skupština Srbije Type Type … Wikipedia
National Assembly Building of the Republic of Slovenia — The National Assembly Building of the Republic of Slovenia (Slovene: Stavba Državnega zbora Republike Slovenije) is a modernist palace in Ljubljana housing the legislature of Slovenia. Built between 1954 and 1959 by the Slovene architect Vinko… … Wikipedia