Dan Crippen (born March 18, 1952, in Canistota, South Dakota.) is the executive director of the National Governors Association. He is a former Director of the Congressional Budget Office and Assistant to the President for Ronald Reagan. Crippen most recently served on NASA's Aerospace Safety Advisory Panel. He graduated from the University of South Dakota (B.S. 1974) and Ohio State University (M.A. 1976; Ph.D. 1981).
From 1981-1985 Crippen served as chief counsel and economic policy advisor for Senate Minority Leader Howard Baker. When Baker became President Reagan's Chief of Staff in 1987, Crippen followed Baker to the White House as Deputy Assistant to the President for Domestic Policy from 1987-1988 and Domestic Policy Advisor and Assistant to the President for Domestic Policy from 1988-1989. Republicans hoped that Crippen would be a strong proponent of Reagan's appropriations bills and that he could mend relations with Congress. After Reagan left office in 1989, Crippen turned to the private sector, as a principal of Washington Counsel (1996-1999), a law and lobbying firm; Merrill Lynch as an executive director; and the Duberstein Group, a public relations consulting firm, as founder and vice president.
Congressional Budget Office
He was Director of the Congressional Budget Office from 1999-02-01 to 2003. Republican leaders selected Crippen as a somewhat moderate candidate, drawing the ire of members of both parties, who sought a more ideological director. A 2003 Wall Street Journal article suggested that he may have lost his chance at reappointment for failing to support dynamic scoring, a practice inspired by supply-side economics.
NASA and present day
In February 2005, he was briefly mentioned as a possible NASA Administrator.
Crippen still works in the private sector, largely focusing on healthcare issues, and does some public speaking. In a 2005 Washington Post editorial, Crippen called for increased use of technology to reduce healthcare costs, altering the service structure by delegating more services to nurses and other hospital staff, and studying the subset of the Medicare population which uses the majority of the resources. Crippen serves on the board of directors of Eclipsys.
In early 2011, Crippen was named executive director of the National Governors Association.
Notes or references
- ^ a b c "NASA Selects Dr. Dan Crippen for Safety Advisory Panel" (Press release). National Aeronautics and Space Administration. 2004-07-28. http://www.nasa.gov/home/hqnews/2004/jul/HQ_04244_dan_crippen.html. Retrieved 2006-07-19.
- ^ Hoffman, David (1987-04-24). "Baker Picks White House Budget Expert Dissatisfaction with OMB a Factor". Washington Post. p. A4.
- ^ Hager, George (1999-01-14). "Former GOP Aide Is Choice To Lead Hill Budget Office". Washington Post. p. A25.
- ^ Murray, Alan (2003-04-01). "'Dynamic' Scoring Finally Ends Debate On Taxes, Revenue". Wall Street Journal (Eastern edition). p. A4.
- ^ Crippen, Dan (2005-05-01). "How to Fix Health Care". Washington Post. p. B7. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/04/29/AR2005042901386.html. Retrieved 2006-07-19.
- ^ About Us: Board of Directors
- Statement of Dan Crippen: The Relationship between Health Care Costs and America's Uninsured, before Subcommittee on Employer-Employee Relations, U.S. House of Representatives. 1999-06-11. Retrieved on 2006-07-19.
- Statement of Dan L. Crippen: Social Security: Long-Term Budget Implications, before the Committee on the Budget, U.s. House of Representatives. 2002-06-19. Retrieved on 2006-07-19.
- Seeing Red, Online NewsHour, Public Broadcasting Service. 2004-03-24. Retrieved on 2006-07-19.
- NASA website
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Dan crippen — est un haut fonctionnaire américain né le 18 mars 1952, à Canistota, dans le Dakota du sud. Le Dr. Crippen a obtenu un diplôme de l Université du Dakota du Sud (B.S.) en 1974 et de l Université d État de l Ohio en 1976 (M.A.) et en 1981 … Wikipédia en Français
Dan Crippen — est un haut fonctionnaire américain né le 18 mars 1952, à Canistota, dans le Dakota du sud. Le Dr. Crippen a obtenu un diplôme de l Université du Dakota du Sud (B.S.) en 1974 et de l Université d État de l Ohio en 1976 (M.A.) et en 1981 … Wikipédia en Français
Crippen — is a surname, and may refer to: Dan Crippen (born 1952), U.S. bureaucrat Dick Crippen, U.S. sports commentator Fran Crippen, U.S. open water swimmer Dr. Hawley Harvey Crippen (1862–1910), U.S. doctor hanged in England for the murder of his wife… … Wikipedia
Crippen — ist der Familienname der folgenden Personen: Dan Crippen (* 1952), US amerikanischer Politiker Dick Crippen, US amerikanischer Sportkommentator Fran Crippen (1984–2010), US amerikanischer Schwimmer Hawley Crippen (1862–1910), britischer Arzt und… … Deutsch Wikipedia
List of Ohio State University people — Notable alumni= : Please note that the names listed may have only attended the University at one point and not have necessarily graduated. National and international award winnersNobel Laureates*Paul Flory, 1974 Nobel laureate in Chemistry (Ph.D … Wikipedia
Supply-side economics — is an arguably heterodox school of macroeconomic thought that argues that economic growth can be most effectively created using incentives for people to produce (supply) goods and services, such as adjusting income tax and capital gains tax rates … Wikipedia
University of South Dakota — Infobox University name = The University of South Dakota | motto = Veritas established = 1862 type = Public president= James W. Abbott city = Vermillion state = SD country = USA undergrad = 9,243 postgrad = 2,339 staff= 400+ endowment =… … Wikipedia
John Glenn School of Public Affairs — The John Glenn School of Public Affairs is a public policy school, public service research institute, and home to various public programs at the The Ohio State University. The school is named after United States Senator and Astronaut John… … Wikipedia
Douglas Holtz-Eakin — 6th Director of the Congressional Budget Office In office February 5, 2003 – December 29, 2005 President George W. Bush Preceded by Dan Crippen Succeeded by … Wikipedia
Congressional Budget Office — Le Congressional Budget Office (CBO), ou bureau du Budget du Congrès américain, est une agence fédérale américaine faisant partie de la branche législative du Gouvernement des États Unis. Il a été créé en 1974 par la Congressional Budget and… … Wikipédia en Français