Michael Sela (Hebrew: מיכאל סלע) (born 2 March 1924) is an Israeli immunologist of Polish Jewish origin. He is W. Garfield Weston Professor of Immunology at the Weizmann Institute of Science in Rehovot.
Birth and academic career
Sela is known for his research in immunology, particularly for research on synthetic antigens, molecules that trigger the immune system to attack. These work of Sela have led to the discovery of the genetic control of the immune response, as well as to the design of vaccines based on synthetic molecules.
He was among the first who introduced the use of linear and branched synthetic polypeptides as antigens, and this brought about a better understanding of immunological phenomena.
For several decades, Sela have been interested in the possibility of fighting the autoimmune disease, experimental allergic encephalomyelitis (EAE) with synthetic analogs of the molecules in the myelin sheath of the brain which are capable of provoking the disease.
Awards and honours
Sela has received several awards. Following are the major awards received by Sela.
- The Israel Prize in Life Sciences (1959)
- The Rothschild Prize (1968)
- Germany's Emil von Behring Prize (1973)
- Canada's Gairdner Foundation International Award (1980)
- France's Institut de la Vie Prize (1984)
- Germany's Commander's Cross of the Order of Merit Award (1986)
- France's Officier de l'Ordre de la Légion d'honneur (1987)
- UNESCO's Albert Einstein Golden Medal (1995)
- Interbrew-Baillet Latour Health Prize of Belgium (1997)
- The Wolf Prize in Medicine (1998), along with Ruth Arnon, for "their major discoveries in the field of immunology".
- ^ Michael Sela at the Weizmann Institute of Science
- ^ "Israel Prize recipients in 1959 (in Hebrew)". Israel Prize Official Site. Archived from the original on 17 February 2010 by WebCite®. http://cms.education.gov.il/EducationCMS/Units/PrasIsrael/Tashyag/Tashkab_Tashyag_Rikuz.htm?DictionaryKey=Tashyat.
- ^ The Wolf Prize in Medicine
- The Wolf Prize in Medicine in 1998 (detail)
- The Interbrew-Baillet Latour Health Prize of Belgium in 1997
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Michael Sela — (eigentlich Mieczyslaw Solomonowicz ; * 2. März 1924 in Tomaszów Mazowiecki) ist ein israelischer Biochemiker und Immunologe. Sela studierte am Weizmann Institut, wo er auch promoviert wurde bei Ephraim Katchalski. Als Post Doktorand war er… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Sela — steht für: Sela (Tonzeichen), ein Tonzeichen in den Psalmen des alten Testaments Sela (Stadt), eine Stadt in Edom im Alten Testament Sela (Titularbistum) Sela (Fluss), der Oberlauf des Inn bis zum Zusammenfluss mit der Flaz Selá, ein Fluss in… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Michael Berridge — Sir Michael John Berridge, FRS FMedSci (born 22 October 1938) is a Rhodesian born British physiologist and biochemist. He is best known for his work on cellular transmembrane signalling, in particular the discovery that inositol trisphosphate… … Wikipedia
SELA, MICHAEL — (1924– ), Israeli biochemist and immunologist. Born in Poland, Sela was taken to Bucharest as a child and immigrated (1941) to Palestine. He graduated in chemistry from the Hebrew University of Jerusalem (M.Sc. 1947, Ph.D. 1954). He became active … Encyclopedia of Judaism
Michael Learned — Born April 9, 1939 (1939 04 09) (age 72) Washington, D.C., United States Occupation Actress Years active 1961 present Spouse John Doherty (1988 pres … Wikipedia
Michael Tritter — House character First appearance Fools for Love Last appearance Words and Deeds Created by Peter Blake Po … Wikipedia
Michael Ryderstedt — Country Sweden Residence Stockholm, Sweden Born 12 November 1984 (1984 11 12) (age 26) … Wikipedia
Michael Robertson (tennis) — Michael Robertson (born 2 July 1963 in Johannesburg, South Africa) is a former South African, later American, professional tennis player. Robertson attended the University of Miami. He was the 1981 French Open Junior doubles winner. His best… … Wikipedia
Sela (Star Trek) — Star Trek character|if=|Title = Sela bgcolor = #008000 Caption = Commander Sela as portrayed by Denise Crosby Species = Half human (through mother Tasha Yar) Half Romulan (through father) Gender = Female Planet = Romulus Affiliation = Romulan… … Wikipedia
Michael Tritter — Personnages de Dr House Cet article présente la liste des personnages de la série télévisée Dr House. Sommaire 1 Personnages principaux 1.1 Les médecins titulaires 1.1.1 Gregory House 1.1.2 … Wikipédia en Français