Infobox Indian Jurisdiction
native_name = Irinjalakuda | type = city | latd = 10.33 | longd = 76.23
locator_position = right | state_name = Kerala
district = Thrissur
altitude = 39
population_as_of = 2001
population_total = 28,873| population_density =
area_magnitude= sq. km
area_telephone = 0480
Irinjalakuda is a town in
Thrissur districtin the Indian state of Kerala. In many ways it represents the small towns that dot the whole of Kerala. This town is famous for Koodalmanikyam Templethat has Bharathaas the main deity. It is also the home town of two renowned Malayalam authors, Sachidanandan and Anand and also Malayalam film comedians Innocent and Edavela Babu.
Irinjalakuda is also known for cultural and social institutions such as "Unnayi Warrier Kalanilayayam" and "Yajurveda Patashala". Unnayi Warrier, the renowned writer who made immense contribution to the art of Kathakali (a classical dance form of Kerala) was born here about three hundred years ago.
Irinjalakuda has two beautiful old churches and a good percentage of the population is Hindu.
Irinjalakuda is located at coord|10.33|N|76.23|E| [ [http://www.fallingrain.com/world/IN/13/Irinjalakuda.html Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Irinjalakuda] ] . It has an average elevation of 39
metres (127 feet).
Koodalmanikyam Templeutsavam (festival) in April/May which lasts for 10 days; also the thrissur pooram festival.
Pindi Perunnal(Parish Feast) related to Epiphany, is conducted for three days in the second week of January.
Shatrughna Templevisiting nalambalam.
* Sree ViswanathaPuram Temple Shasthi- in the end of January or the beginning of February, notable for famous for Pookavadi (multicoloured floral pyramids
Sree Kallada TemplePorathissery.
Colleges and Schools
There is strong presence of high class educational institutions in this town, in the form of several schools, colleges, and other coaching classes. They are either run by state government or in private hands. They have proved themselves umpteen times with excellent results in the state examinations as well as other competitions. Colleges in this town come under the [University of Calicut] .
St. Joseph's Girls College
* Christ College [http://www.christcollegeijk.org official website]
* National High School [http://www.nhs4me.com Alumni site of National School]
Little Flower Convent Girls school
* Don Bosco High School - [http://www.boscoites.com Alumni site of Don Bosco Irinjalakuda]
* Govt. Model Boys High School
* Sree Narayana Higher Secondary School
* Lisieux Convent & Home Science College
* Govt. Girls High School [http://www.plustwo.org official website]
* PNS College of Engineering & KTES Industrial Training Centre [http://www.pnscollege.com]
* St. Mary's High School [http://www.stmaryshss.com]
* Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan's Vidya Mandir
* N.S.S. Sangameshwara English Medium School
* Santhinikethan Public school
* Christ Vidhyaniketan.
This town is located on State Highway 22, which links to major national highways NH47 and NH17 in the state.Irinjalakuda is 20 km south of
Thrissurand the Irinjalakuda town railway station is located 7km away from the town centre at Kalletumkara, en route to Chalakudy. Nearby towns are [Chalakudy] which is 18km east, the temple town of Kodungalloor16km south, Edathirinjiis 8km southwest of Irinjalakuda. Sea shore is 7km on its west.
The nearest railway station is the Irinjalakuda Railway Station (about 7km away east of the town at
Kallettumkara); most trains stop at this station. The nearest airport is the Cochin International Airport at Nedumbassery, 34km away.
Irinjalakuda has several hospitals and health clinics, including the Taluk Headquarters Hospital, the Ayurveda Hospital, as well as the ESI Dispensary.
As of 2001India census[GR|India] , Irinjalakuda had a population of 28,873. Males constitute 48% of the population and females 52%. Irinjalakuda has an average literacy rate of 87%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 88%, and female literacy is 86%. In Irinjalakuda, 10% of the population is under 6 years of age.
atellite image of the town
* [http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&oe=UTF8&num=200&start=196&msa=0&msid=114038809751246788218.000440d8cff499fc85a7c&ll=10.346985,76.206681&spn=0.003377,0.004629&t=k&z=18 Satellite image of Irinjalakuda town]
* [http://www.irinjalakudamunicipality.com Irinjalakuda Municipality : Official Website]
* [http://www.irinjalakudapressclub.com Official News Portal of Irinjalakuda]
* [http://www.irinjalakudalive.com THANIMA2007 Website]
* [http://www.edathirinji.com Edathirinji's Website]
* [http://www.irinjalakuda.com Irinjalakuda website]
* [http://www.irinjalakuda.co.in Irinjalakuda classifieds website]
* [http://www.koodalmanikyam.com Koodalmanikyam Temple Website]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Irinjalakuda — Original name in latin Irinjlakuda Name in other language Irinjalakuda, Irinjlakuda State code IN Continent/City Asia/Kolkata longitude 10.34238 latitude 76.21124 altitude 20 Population 29208 Date 2013 02 08 … Cities with a population over 1000 database
Bistum Irinjalakuda — Basisdaten Kirche Syro Malabarische Kirche Staat Indien Metropolitanbistum … Deutsch Wikipedia
Don Bosco Higher Secondary School, Irinjalakuda — For schools of a similar name, see Don Bosco School. Don Bosco Higher Secondary School Location Irinjalakuda, Kerala, India Information Motto Excelsior Established … Wikipedia
Don Bosco High School (Irinjalakuda) — Infobox HighSchool name = Don Bosco High School motto = Excelsior established = March 1962 type = head = city = Irinjalakuda state = Kerala country = India campus = students = 1200 faculty = free label = free = colors = homepage = Don Bosco High… … Wikipedia
Syro-Malabar Catholic Diocese of Irinjalakuda — The Syro Malabar Catholic Diocese of Irinjalakuda was created by Pope Paul VI in his Bull “Trichurensis Eparchiae” of June 22, 1978. Mar James Pazhayattil is its first bishop.External links* [http://www.thesyromalabarchurch.org/irinjalakkuda.htm… … Wikipedia
Christ College, Irinjalakuda — Christ College is a Roman Catholic College in Irinjalakuda, Kerala, India. Christ College was started in 1956, by the Devamatha Province of the Carmelites of Mary Immaculate (CMI), an indigenous religious congregation founded in 1831. Founded as… … Wikipedia
Aloor, Kerala — Aloor is a place in Thrissur district in Kerala, South India. Nearby towns are Irinjalakuda, Chalakudi and Kodakara.AdministrationAloor falls under the Mukundapuram Lok Sabha Constituency and parts of it fall under the Mala and Irinjalakuda… … Wikipedia
Cheloor — village … Wikipedia
Syro-Malabar Catholic Church — Total population 3.8 million Founder St. Thomas the Apostle Regions with significant populations … Wikipedia
Kodungallur — This article is about the city. For the medieval kingdom of the same name, see Kodungallur Kovilakam. Not to be confused with Kadungallur. Kodungallur municipality and town … Wikipedia