Caribbean Carnival is the term used for a number of events that take place in many of the
The Caribbean's Carnivals all have several common themes based on
folklore, culture, and religion, not on amusement rides.
Carnival tradition is based on a number of disciplines including: "Playing Mas"/Masquerade; Calypso Music and crowning a Calypso King or Monarch; Panorama (Steel Band Competition);
Jouvertmorning; and a number of other traditions.
Old-Time Carnival characters
*Jab Jab & Jab Molassie
*Pierrot Grenade, gives speeches on issues of the day, all in rhymee
*Chutney Soca Monarch
*Band of the Year
*Queen of the Bands
*King of the Bands
*Junior Carnival (Kiddies Carnival)
A list of the islands that celebrate Carnival are shown below. Approximate dates are given for the concluding festivities on each island. (On some islands, most notably
Trinidad and Tobago, the carnival season lasts for over a month, and the exact dates vary from year to year.)
Anguilla(first week in August)
Antigua and Barbuda(first week in August)
Aruba(Monday and Tuesday before Ash Wednesday)
Barbados(first Monday in August)
Belize(typically Saturday nearest to September 10)
Bonaire(Monday and Tuesday before Ash Wednesday)
British Virgin Islands
Jost Van Dyke, Old Year's Night (New Year's Eve to New Year's Morning)
Tortola, BVI Spring Regatta and Sailing Festival (seven days at the start of Spring)
Tortola, BVI Music Festival (end of May)
Tortola, BVI Emancipation Festival (first Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday in August)
Virgin Gorda, Easter Festival (typically Sunday, Monday and Tuesday nearest April 15)
Cayman Islands(after Ash Wednesday)
Havana(end of July)
Santiago de Cuba(end of July)
Varadero(end of July)
Curaçao(Monday and Tuesday before Ash Wednesday)
Dominica(Monday and Tuesday before Ash Wednesday)
Dominican Republic(late February)
Guadeloupe(Monday and Tuesday before Ash Wednesday)
Haiti(Monday and Tuesday before Ash Wednesday)
Jamaica, (late March, early April)
Martinique(Monday and Tuesday before Ash Wednesday)
Puerto Rico(Monday and Tuesday before Ash Wednesday)
Saint-Barthélemy(Tuesday before Ash Wednesday)
Saint Kitts and Nevis(roughly New Year's Day)
*Saint-Martin (Monday and Tuesday before Ash Wednesday)
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines(End of June through beginning of July)
Sint Eustatius(early August)
*Sint Maarten (roughly a month after
*Trinidad and Tobago (Monday and Tuesday before Ash Wednesday)
United States Virgin Islands
Saint Croix, Crucian Festival (Ties in with the Christmas Break through the first week in January)
** Saint John, (July 3-4 / V.I. Emancipation Day and U.S. Independence Day)
** Saint Thomas, V.I. Carnival (last Friday and Saturday in April)
International Caribbean Carnivals
* "Caribe-Expo" - In the city of Ottawa in Ontario, Canada.
Carifiesta" - In the city of Montreal in Quebec, Canada, typically 2-3 weeks before Toronto's Caribana.
Caribana" - In Toronto, Ontario, it draws close to a million visitors to the city. Caribana is known as the best Caribbean carnival outside of Trinidad and Tobago.
Carnival" - In the city of Hamilton 1 week after Toronto's Caribana.
* "Carifest" - In the city of Calgary in Alberta, Canada.
* "Cariwest" - Held annually the second week of August in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, Cariwest boasts an amazing display of masqueraders in the main parade, and is a beautiful festival full of food and entertainment in the heart of downtown.
* Berlin, [http://www.karneval-berlin.de Karneval der Kulturen] (Carnival of Cultures), every year in may (Whitsuntide Weekend)
* Birmingham, "
Birmingham Heritage Festival"
* Isle of Wight
* Leicester, "
Leicester Caribbean Carnival"
* London, "
Notting Hill Carnival" - On Notting Hill located in London, England.
* Leeds, "
Leeds West Indian Carnival"
* [http://www.atlantacarnival.org Atlanta Carnival] Atlanta, GA - Last weekend in May, usually falls on Memorial Day weekend
* Baltimore, MD - Baltimore Caribbean-American Festival held every July in Druid Hill Park neighborhood in Baltimore. [http://www.bcacarnival.net BCA Carnival]
* Boston, MA - Last Saturday in August, Dorchester, MA
* Cambridge, MA -
Cambridge Carnival International, Last Sunday in August - Held in Kendall Square
* Chicago, IL - Chicago CARIFETE, Third Saturday in August, on the Midway Plaisance in the confines of the University of Chicago Campus.
* Austin, TX - Carnaval Brasileiro, February the 3rd
* Houston, TX - Usually the weekend around fourth of July.
* Long Island, NY - Weekend after
Labor Day Carnival- Held in Hempstead
* [http://www.miamicarnival.net Miami Carnival] Miami, FL - The second weekend in October,
* Minneapolis, MN - CARIFEST - Usually held the third weekend of July along West River Road right next to the Mississippi River.
* New Orleans, LA - In November, the [http://www.bayoubacchanal.org Bayou Bacchanal] is held on the first Saturday in downtown and Armstrong Park.
* New York, NY -
Labor Day Carnival- Held in Brooklyn, along Eastern Parkway, with over 2.3 million visitors annually
* Orlando, FL - This is usually held the last weekend in May, which is typically Memorial Day weekend. Most recently been held at the Citrus Bowl.
* Seattle, WA - Pioneer Square, annual Fat Tuesday celebration.
* Tacoma, WA - PLU campus Carnival, near Fat Tuesday
* Norfolk,VA - Virginia CaribFest, [http://www.virginiacaribfest.com/ Virginia Caribfest] (2nd weekend in July)
* Washington D.C. - DC Caribbean Festival, usually between June 16-24 every year. Run through Georgia Ave., Missouri Ave. all the way to Barry Place. dccaribbeancarnival.com
*Charleston Carifest, Charleston, SC. Third weekend in June (a week before DC Caribbean Festival).
List of islands in the Caribbean
List of calypso musicians
List of chutney musicians
* [http://www.toronto-lime.com/carnival/world_schedule.htm World Carnival schedule]
* [http://www.carnaval.com/main.htm Caribbean Carnivals database]
* [http://cropover.ncf.bb/ Barbados Crop Over]
* [http://www.plu.edu/~hashagtl/MokoMan/Welcome Info about Moko Jumbies and a USA band]
* [http://www.miamicarnival.net Miami Carnival's Official Site]
* [http://www.caribbeancarnival.org Broward County In South Florida's Carnival Site]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Leicester Caribbean Carnival — is an annual event, held in early August in Leicester, England.The community organised carnival has been held annually since 1985 (except 2006) on the first Saturday in August, with a parade around the city of Leicester (usually taking in the… … Wikipedia
Carnival (disambiguation) — Carnival (English) or Carnaval (Portuguese, Spanish, and French) is a Christian celebration occurring before Lent. The word has come to refer to other annual festivals of a similar (but not necessarily religious) nature. This page also lists… … Wikipedia
Carnival — For other uses, see Carnival (disambiguation). Carnival float in the Rosenmontag parade in Cologne, Germany … Wikipedia
Carnival Destiny — is a cruise ship that is owned and operated by Carnival Cruise Lines. When she entered service in 1996, she was the largest passenger ship ever built as measured by gross tonnage, and the first passenger ship larger than the 1940 built RMS|Queen… … Wikipedia
Carnival Corporation — plc Unternehmensform Aktiengesellschaft, Dual listed Company Gründung … Deutsch Wikipedia
Carnival Corporation & plc — Carnival Corporation plc Unternehmensform Aktiengesellschaft, Dual listed Company Gründung … Deutsch Wikipedia
Carnival Group — Logo de Carnival corporation Création 1974 Fondateur(s) Ted Arison … Wikipédia en Français
Carnival corporation & plc — Carnival Group Logo de Carnival corporation Création 1974 Fondateur(s) Ted Arison … Wikipédia en Français
Carnival Dream — is one of the latest of the Carnival Cruise Lines (NYSE: [http://www.nyse.com/about/listed/lcddata.html?ticker=CCL CCL] ) ships to enter the fleet; entering on September 21, 2009. At 130,000 tons, she will represent a new class of ships for the… … Wikipedia
Carnival Victory — is a Destiny Class cruise ship operated by Carnival Cruise Lines. She was launched in 2000. Some of her features include a nine story atrium, four pools, numerous dining options, various entertainment options, a casino, and a spa. It is… … Wikipedia