List of South Dakota county name etymologies
This is a list of
South Dakotacounty name etymologies:
Alphabetical, by first letter
* Beadle County: Beadle is named for military officer and local leader
William Henry Harrison Beadle.
* Bennett County: Bennett is named for either
John E. Bennett, a judge of the state supreme court, or local politician Granville C. Bennett.
* Bon Homme County: Bon Homme is named after
Bon Homme Islandin the Missouri River. "Bon homme" is French for "good man".
* Brookings County: Brookings is named for
Brookings, South Dakota, the county seat.
* Brown County: Brown is named for territorial legislator Alfred Brown.
* Brule County: Brule "may" be named for the
Brule SiouxNative American people.
* Buffalo County: Buffalo is probably named for the buffalo (properly
American Bison) that once roamed the Great Plains.
* Butte County: Butte is named for the local geographical features known as
* Campbell County: Campbell is named for
Newton B. Campbellof Scotland, son of the famous Gen. Charles T. Campbell, "the man whom Lincoln made a brigadier general upon condition that he should die immediately."
* Charles Mix County: Charles Mix is named after
Charles Mix, a commissioner of Indian affairs.
* Clark County: Clark is named after Clark House, a local inn that was the county's first headquarters.
* Clay County: Clay is probably named for
Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives Henry Clay.
* Codington County: Codington is named for a local circuit preacher named Reverend
* Corson County: Corson is named after
Dighton Corson, a Justice of the South Dakota Supreme Court.
* Custer County: Custer is named after military officer
George Armstrong Custer.
* Davison County: Davison is named for
Henry C. Davison, an important local merchant.
* Day County: Day is named for Territorial legislator
Merrit H. Day.
* Deuel County: Deuel is named for early settler
Jacob S. Deuel.
* Dewey County: Dewey is named for
William P. Dewey, the surveyor general of Dakota Territoryfrom 1873 until 1877.
* Douglas County: Douglas is named for
United States Senator Stephen A. Douglas.
* Edmunds County: Edmunds is named for
Governor of Dakota Territory Newton Edmunds.
* Haakon County: Haakon is named for
Haakon VII of Norway.
* Hamlin County: Hamlin is named for
Hannibal Hamlin, Abraham Lincoln's first Vice President.
* Hand County: Hand is named for
George H. Hand, U.S. Attorney for the District of Dakota Territory.
* Hanson County: Hanson was named for
Joseph R. Hansonof Yankton
* Harding County: Harding is named for territorial legislator
J. A. Harding.
* Hughes County: Hughes is named for territorial legislator
* Hutchinson County: Hutchinson is named for territorial secretary John Hutchinson.
* Hyde County: Hyde is named for territorial legislator
* Jackson County: Jackson is named for territorial legislator
* Jerauld County: Jerauld is named for territorial legislator
* Jones County: Jones is named for
Jones County, Iowa.
* Kingsbury County: Kingsbury is named for territorial legislators and brothers
George W. Kingsburyand T.A. Kingsbury.
* Lake County: Lake is named for the region's many lakes.
* Lawrence County: Lawrence is named for
John Lawrence, the first treasurer of the county.
* Lincoln County: Lincoln was named after
* Lyman County: Lyman is named for territorial legislator
* Marshall County: Marshall is named for prominent county resident
* McCook County: McCook is named for military officer and
Dakota Territorysecretary Edwin McCook.
* McPherson County: McPherson is named for
American Civil Warmilitary officer James B. McPherson.
* Meade County: Meade is named for
American Civil Wargeneral George Meade.
* Mellette County: Mellette is named for
Arthur C. Mellette, the first governor of South Dakotaand the last governor of Dakota Territory.
* Miner County: Miner is named for territorial legislators
Nelson Minerand Ephriam Miner.
* Minnehaha County: Minnehaha's name is taken from a Native American word meaning "river waterfall".
* Moody County: Moody is named for territorial legislator and later
U.S. Senator Gideon C. Moody.
* Pennington County: Pennington is named for
Governor of Dakota Territory John L. Pennington.
* Perkins County: Perkins is named for
South Dakotastate legislator Henry E. Perkins.
* Potter County: Potter is named for territorial legislator
Joel A. Potter.
* Roberts County: Roberts is named for territorial legislator
S. G. Roberts.
* Sanborn County: Sanborn is named for
Milwaukee Railroadsuperintendent George W. Sanborn.
* Shannon County: Shannon is named for
Peter Shannon, a Chief Justice of the Territorial Supreme Court.
* Spink County: Spink is named for secretary of the Dakota Territory
* Stanley County: Stanley is named for military officer
David S. Stanley, long-time commander at Fort Sully.
* Sully County: Sully is named for
Fort Sully, which is named in turn for is founder, officer Alfred Sully.
* Todd County: Todd is named for
John Blair Smith Todd, the first Congressional Delegate from Dakota Territory.
* Tripp County: Tripp is named for chief justice of the Dakota Territory Supreme Court
* Turner County: Turner is named for territorial legislator
John W. Turner.
* Walworth County: Walworth is named for
Walworth County, Wisconsin.
* Yankton County: Yankton is named for the
Yankton SiouxNative American people.
* Ziebach County: Ziebach is named for local leader
Frank M. Ziebach.
* [http://www.sdcounties.org/home.cfm County Associations of South Dakota]
* [http://www.sdglaciallakes.com/history.htm South Dakota Glacial Lakes County Histories] (Incomplete)
* [http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/sd/history/robinson/lxxiv.txt "History of South Dakota": Brief Sketches of the Counties]
County (United States)
List of South Dakota counties
Lists of U.S. county name etymologies
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
List of U.S. county name etymologies, A-D — This is a list of U.S. county name etymologies, covering the letters A to D. A *Aitkin County, Minnesota: Aitkin is named for William Alexander Aitken, a fur trader in the region. *Alachua County, Florida: Alachua is named for a Native American… … Wikipedia
List of U.S. county name etymologies, E-I — This is a list of U.S. county name etymologies, covering the letters E to I.E*Eagle County, Colorado, is named for the Eagle River, which runs through the county. *Early County, Georgia *East Baton Rouge Parish, Louisiana, is named for the… … Wikipedia
List of U.S. county name etymologies, S-Z — This is a list of U.S. county name etymologies, covering the letters S to Z.*Sabine County, Texas *Sabine Parish, Louisiana *Sac County, Iowa *Sacramento County, California *Sagadahoc County, Maine *Saginaw County, Michigan *Saguache County,… … Wikipedia
List of U.S. county name etymologies, J-M — This is a list of U.S. county name etymologies, covering the letters J to M.J*Jack County, Texas *Jackson County, Alabama * Jackson County, Arkansas * Jackson County, Colorado: Jackson County is named for United States President Andrew Jackson. * … Wikipedia
List of U.S. county name etymologies, N-R — This is a list of U.S. county name etymologies, covering the letters N to R.N*Nacogdoches County, Texas *Nance County, Nebraska *Nantucket County, Massachusetts *Napa County, California *Nash County, North Carolina *Nassau County, Florida *Nassau … Wikipedia
List of U.S. state name etymologies — Map showing the source languages of state names The fifty U.S. states have taken their names from a wide variety of languages. The names of 24 states derive from indigenous languages of the Americas and one from Hawaiian: eight come from… … Wikipedia
List of the most common U.S. county name etymologies — This is a list of the most common U.S. county names, specifically the names with five or more counties sharing the name.Washington County (31 counties) All of the Washington Counties in the United States are named for George Washington, first… … Wikipedia
List of Minnesota county name etymologies — This is a list of Minnesota county name etymologies. Many of the 87 counties of the U.S. state of Minnesota are either named after pioneers in the region the county is now a part of, or after people who served in Minnesota s first governments.… … Wikipedia
Lists of North American place name etymologies — These are lists of North American place name etymologies:* Mexican state name etymologies * Canadian provincial name etymologies * U.S. state name etymologies ** Lists of U.S. county name etymologies *** List of Alabama county name etymologies… … Wikipedia
List of counties in West Virginia — List of 55 counties in the U.S. state of West Virginia: West Virginia county boundaries The Federal Information Processing Standard (FIPS) code, which is used by the United States government to uniquely identify counties, is provided with each… … Wikipedia