Cluster Studio album by Cluster Released 1971 Recorded 1971 Genre Krautrock
Length 44:28 Label Philips Producer Conrad Plank Cluster chronology Cluster
Professional ratings Review scores Source Rating Allmusic 
Cluster is the eponymous first full-length album by German electronic music outfit Cluster. It is also the only album on which Conrad Plank is credited as a member. Cluster was recorded at Star-Studio in Hamburg, Germany in January, 1971. It was Cluster's only release for the Philips label.
Cluster began a transition away from the discordant, proto-industrial sound of Kluster towards a more electronic sound. Russ Curry of Curious Music credited Conny Plank with the change of direction, describing it as having "...continued the commitment to improvisation but developed a focus on sound structure..." Instrumentation included a pair of organs, Hawaiian guitar, cello, and audio generators, all played by Moebius and Rodelius, all of which were electronically treated by Conny Plank.
Thom Jurek, writing Allmusic review, describes Cluster, in part as: "...a dislocating, disorienting meld of random space music, industrial noise, proto-ambient atmospherics, feedback, and soundwash..." The editorial review on the Amazon.com website states, in part:
"The three untitled tracks composed and performed by Moebius and Roedelius are exploratory, ever-changing pieces with focuses on guitar distortion and synthesizer wails, though each goes far beyond. This album deserves the many accolades it's been given, and holds up as an early landmark in the history of beatless ambience."
"The Wire" places Cluster's self-titled debut album in their "One Hundred Records That Set The World On Fire".
The album was reissued with new artwork and a new title, Cluster '71, by Sky Records in 1980. Cluster '71 was digitally remastered (from a vinyl source, not a tape) and reissued on CD in 1996 by Sky with new artwork: a total of three different cover designs for the album to date. It received its first U.S release in 2006 on the San Francisco based Water label. The Water reissue restored the original Philips cover art but retains the Cluster '71 name. A 1,000 copy limited remastered edition of Cluster '71 with the original Sky LP cover art was reissued by the Japanese Captain Trip label on September 20, 2007.
It was re-released once again in 2010 by bureau b with the original cover leaving out the "71".
- [untitled] – 15:33
- [untitled] – 7:38
- [untitled] – 21:17
- Hans-Joachim Roedelius – organ, electronically treated cello, audio-generator, amplifier
- Dieter Moebius – organ, Hawaiian guitar, audio-generator, amplifier, helias
- Conrad Plank – electronics, effects, producer
- ^ Allmusic review
- ^ Curry, Russ (1996-05). "Curious History of Cluster". The Thing - Berlin. http://www.thing.de/delektro/www-eng/cluhist.html. Retrieved 2008-02-20.
- ^ Jurek, Thom. "Cluster '71". Review. Allmusic. http://www.allmusic.com/album/r313945. Retrieved 2007-12-08.
- ^ Amazon.com editorial review
- ^ Roy, Daryl Stephen; Uncle Fester (1992). "100 Records That Set The World On Fire (while no one was listening)". The Wire. Archived from the original on 2007-10-19. http://web.archive.org/web/20071019022442/http://www.rocklistmusic.co.uk/thewire.html#onfire. Retrieved 2007-10-29.
- ^ "Cluster - 71". Discogs. http://www.discogs.com/release/618326. Retrieved 2008-02-20.
- ^ "CLUSTER Digital Remaster & Paper Sleeve series". Miniature LP/CD Kami Jacket. Captain Trip Records. 2007. Archived from the original on 2007-12-17. http://web.archive.org/web/20071217013126/http://www.captaintrip.co.jp/kami-cd/index.html. Retrieved 2008-02-20.
- ^ "CLUSTER Digital Remaster". CD Jacket. bureau b. 2010. http://www.bureau-b.com/. Retrieved 2011-06-29.
- Cluster - Cluster at Discogs Retrieved February 20, 2008.
- Ground and Sky progreviews.com Cluster '71 Review Retrieved August 18, 2007.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Live in Vienna (Cluster album) — Infobox Album | Name = Live In Vienna Type = Live Album Artist = Cluster Farnbauer Released = 1980 Recorded = 1980 Genre = Krautrock Kosmische Musik Experimental Music Electronic music Length = Label = York House Records Producer = Reviews =… … Wikipedia
Cluster (band) — Cluster Cluster in 2007 (photo courtesy of Hans Joachim Roedelius) Background information Origin Berlin, Germany … Wikipedia
Cluster II — Studio album by Cluster Released 1972 Recorded January, 1972 … Wikipedia
Cluster — A cluster is a small group or bunch of something. Contents 1 In science 2 In astrophysics 3 In biology and health sciences 4 In computing … Wikipedia
Cluster — Kluster Cluster в 2007 году Основная информация Жанр … Википедия
Cluster & Eno — Studio album by Cluster and Brian Eno Released 1977 … Wikipedia
Cluster & Eno — Album par Cluster et Brian Eno Sortie 1977 Durée 36:10 Genre ambient Producteur Conny Plank, Cluster Label … Wikipédia en Français
Cluster One — Song by Pink Floyd from the album The Division Bell Released March 30, 1994 (UK) April 5, 1994 (US) Recorded 1993 Genre … Wikipedia
Cluster One — Chanson par Pink Floyd extrait de l’album The Division Bell Pays Angleterre Sortie 30 mars 1994 Durée 5:58 Genre Rock pro … Wikipédia en Français
Cluster One — «Cluster One» Canción de Pink Floyd Álbum The Division Bell Publicación 30 de marzo de 1994 Reino Unido … Wikipedia Español