Mount San Antonio
Mount San Antonio
Postcard image of Mount Baldy circa 1910
Elevation 10,068 ft (3,069 m) NAVD 88 Prominence 6,224 ft (1,897 m)  Parent peak San Gorgonio Mountain  Location Location Los Angeles County / San Bernardino County, California, USA Range San Gabriel Mountains Coordinates Coordinates:  Topo map USGS Mount San Antonio Geology Type Granitic Climbing Easiest route Ski lift to Baldy Notch, Devil's Backbone Trail (hike)
Mount San Antonio, commonly known as Old Baldy or Mt Baldy, at 10,068 ft (3,069 m), is the highest peak in the San Gabriel Mountains, and the highest point in Los Angeles County. Mount San Antonio's sometimes snow-capped peaks are visible on clear days and dominate the view of the Los Angeles skyline.
Mount San Antonio has two peaks: the main peak, with an elevation of 10,068 feet (3,069 m), and a sub-peak, West Baldy, at 9,988 feet (3,044 m). Nearby are San Antonio Creek and San Antonio Falls. The creek descends through a gorge and forms several waterfalls. The last drop has a height of about 75 feet (23 m).
The peak, which marks a boundary between San Bernardino County and Los Angeles County, is called Baldy because of the absence of trees around the summit. The Tongva tribe call the mountain Yoát or Joat, which means snow, and the Mohave call it Avii Kwatiinyam.
Between 1922 and 1927, American physicist Albert Michelson performed a number of experiments involving bouncing a beam of light onto a reflector at Lookout Mountain, a prominence on the south ridge of the mountain 3.2 miles (5.1 km) southwest of the peak, from the observatory at Mount Wilson some 22 miles (35 km) distant. The exact distance was very accurately surveyed and, using the measurements, the speed of light was calculated to be 299,796±4 km/s.
Mount San Antonio, along with the nearby peak known as Thunder Mountain, is currently home to the family owned and operated ski resort Mount Baldy Ski Lifts, the closest resort to Los Angeles. Nearby lies Mt Baldy Village, a small seasonal community. The village has its own fire department, church, visitor's center and school district. Mt. Baldy School (the abbreviation is the standard usage) has about 88 students.
Hiking trails access the summit from three sides of the mountain and one route is assisted on summer weekends by the availability of a running ski-area chair lift. Many areas in the foothills are suitable for rock climbing and bouldering. There are dozens of off-ramp accessible trails that are known for vigorous hikes.
For mountaineers, the winter and spring offer a snow climbing challenge. The "Baldy Bowl" south of the summit can be climbed with crampons and ice ax. The bowl can be treacherous for inexperienced climbers as some sections have slopes of 45° to 50°. These can only safely be climbed when the snow conditions are good.
Since 1965, each Labor Day, the San Antonio Canyon Town Hall has sponsored a "Run-to-the-Top" on Mt Baldy in which a 8-mile (13 km) course over roads and trails ends at the 10,068-foot (3,069 m) summit for a 4,000-foot (1,200 m) elevation gain.
- ^ a b "Mount San Antonio". Peakbagger.com. http://www.peakbagger.com/peak.aspx?pid=1338. Retrieved 2009-01-25.
- ^ "California P 2000 Summits". Peaklist. http://www.peaklist.org/USlists/CAP2000.html. Retrieved 2009-08-14.
- ^ a b "Mount San Antonio". Geographic Names Information System, U.S. Geological Survey. http://geonames.usgs.gov/pls/gnispublic/f?p=gnispq:3:::NO::P3_FID:273439. Retrieved 2008-08-30.
- ^ "West Baldy, California". Peakbagger.com. http://www.peakbagger.com/peak.aspx?pid=27784. Retrieved 2009-08-14.
- ^ "San Antonio Falls". Geographic Names Information System, U.S. Geological Survey. http://geonames.usgs.gov/pls/gnispublic/f?p=gnispq:3:::NO::P3_FID:273436. Retrieved 2009-08-14.
- ^ "Official Boundaries of the County of Los Angeles". Los Angeles Almanac. http://www.laalmanac.com/geography/ge20.htm. Retrieved 2008-08-30.
- ^ Munro, Pamela; Nellie Brown, and Judith G. Crawford (1992). "A Mojave dictionary". UCLA occasional papers in linguistics (Los Angeles: University of California, Los Angeles) no. 10. OCLC 28561333.
- ^ Garner, C. L., Captain (retired) (April 1949). "A Geodetic Measurement of Unusually High Accuracy". U. S. Coast and Geodetic Survey Journal (Coast and Geodetic Survey): 68–74. http://www.pvaa.us/nightwatch/GeodeticMeasurementOfUnusuallyHighAccuracy.pdf. Retrieved 2009-08-13.
- ^ "Mt Baldy School". Mt Baldy School District. http://www.mtbaldy.k12.ca.us/. Retrieved 2009-08-14.
- ^ "Scenic Chair Rides". http://www.mtbaldy.com/mtbaldy/002/index.php. Retrieved 2010-10-04.
- ^ "Mount Baldy Run to the Top". http://www.run2top.com/info.lasso.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Mount San Antonio — Bild des Mount Baldy um ca. 1910 Höhe 3.069 … Deutsch Wikipedia
San Antonio (disambiguation) — San Antonio most commonly means the city of*San Antonio, TexasOther meanings include: Places Argentina *San Antonio, Jujuy (Jujuy Province) *San Antonio Department *San Antonio de Areco (Buenos Aires Province) *San Antonio Oeste (Río Negro… … Wikipedia
San Antonio (Begriffsklärung) — San Antonio heißen: diverse italienische Heilige, siehe Heiliger Antonius zahlreiche Kirchen der Heiligen, siehe Antoniuskirche Regionen: Departamento San Antonio (Jujuy), ein Departamento in der Provinz Jujuy, Argentinien Departamento San… … Deutsch Wikipedia
San Antonio del Monte — is also a subdivision of Garafía in the island of La Palma in the Canary Islands San Antonio del Monte (Spanish for Saint Anthony of the mount ) is a municipality in the Sonsonate department of El Salvador. The town was founded at the beginning… … Wikipedia
San Antonio — This article is about the U.S. city. For other uses, see San Antonio (disambiguation). City of San Antonio City … Wikipedia
San Antonio Valley, California — The community of San Antonio Valley, also called San Antonio or San Antone, is located along the Diablo Range in eastern Santa Clara County, California. The locale is on the border of Alameda County and Stanislaus County. The sparsely populated… … Wikipedia
Roman Catholic Archdiocese of San Antonio — Archdiocese of San Antonio Archidioecesis Sancti Antonii San Fernando Cathedral in San Antonio Location … Wikipedia
Mt. San Antonio College — Established 1946 Type Public Community College Location Walnut … Wikipedia
Incarnate Word High School (San Antonio, Texas) — Incarnate Word High School is a private, Roman Catholic, all girls high school in San Antonio, Texas. It is located in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of San Antonio.BackgroundIncarnate Word was established in 1881. It is a division of the… … Wikipedia
Mount Harwood — (center) and Devil s Backbone (right) from the southeast, February 2008. Elevation … Wikipedia