Darin Background information Birth name Darin Zanyar Also known as Darin Born June 2, 1987
Genres Pop Occupations Singer Instruments Vocals Years active 2004–present Labels Sony Music (2004-2009)
EMI Germany (2007-Present)
Universal Music (2009-Present)
Associated acts Kat DeLuna Website www.darin.nu
Darin Zanyar (born June 2, 1987 in Stockholm, Sweden) more commonly known as Darin is a Swedish, Kurdish pop singer and songwriter of Kurdish descent and one of Sweden's best-selling artists, with numerous chart topping songs and music albums.
Darin born to Kurdish parents began singing at an early age, citing Michael Jackson as his biggest inspiration. On the DVD Tour Videos Interview, Darin is shown as a child dancing to Michael Jackson and singing "Eternal Flame" by The Bangles.
In spring of 2004, Darin auditioned for a place on the first series of Idol with "God Must Have Spent A Little More Time On You" by N*Sync, the four judges were very impressed and he passed through to the theatre round and then on to the semi-finals where he sang "Beautiful" by Christina Aguilera and received 78% of the public vote to get through to the live finals. He eventually came in second place, losing to Daniel Lindström.
2005–2006: The Anthem, Darin & DVD
Soon after the show Darin signed a record deal with BMG to release an album and in January 2005 Darin's debut single "Money For Nothing" was released gaining him his first number one single and a platinum certification. On February 16, 2005 his debut commercial album The Anthem was released. The album enjoyed much success entering the Swedish Album Charts at number 1 and eventually being certified gold by the IFPI. Also in 2005, Darin released his second self-titled album Darin which became Darin's second chart topping album and also the first to be released outside of Sweden, being released in Finland. This second album had greater success than The Anthem, being certified platinum by the IFPI. It was a different sound to Darin's debut album, he worked more with RedOne on this album, writing together the platinum selling and Darin's most successful single to date "Step Up", this single, when released in September 2005 spent a total of 26 weeks on the Swedish Singles Chart and was also the first single to be released in Finland.
In 2006 Darin staged a tour to support the release of his second album called Step Up To The Party Tour 2006 footage of which can be seen on Darin's first music DVD Tour Videos Interview which was released on October 25, 2006. Three singles were released from Darin, "Step Up", "Who's That Girl" and "Want Ya!" all becoming top 10 singles in Sweden and all 3 receiving a release in Finland.
2006-2007: EMI Germany & Break The News
In November 2006, Darin released his third album Break the News. The album went straight to number 1 on the Swedish Album Charts and was certified gold in its first week of sales. This album produced four singles, two of which were digital only releases.
Darin did a short promotional tour in Sweden calling at 10 cities to promote the album, with small performances and signings from November 25 until December 16, 2006. Also to promote the album, large billboard posters were placed around Swedish cities Stockholm, Göteborg and Malmö. The album was supported by the "Pure Desire Tour" in 2007, which called at various cities in Sweden. Following his success in Sweden, Darin signed a new recording contract with EMI Germany to release singles in Germany, Austria and Switzerland. In August 2007, Darin's single "Insanity" was released in both Germany and Austria.
In 2008, Darin started work on his fourth album Flashback, working again with RedOne. The album was released on December 3, 2008 and charted at number 10 in Sweden, Darin's first album not to reach number 1 in the country. There were 5 singles from the album, but only 2 were physical releases, the number 1 gold selling single "Breathing Your Love" a duet with American singer Kat DeLuna and "What If", a song which was released in collaboration with "Friends", a Swedish anti-bullying charity. The album had brief success but dropped out of the charts after 5 weeks. In October 2009 Darin performed a cover of Coldplay's "Viva la Vida" on Idol. The song was released as a digital only single in Sweden and reached number 1 on the charts and has since been certified gold.
On 3 November 2009, it was announced that Darin would be participating in the Melodifestivalen 2010, the Swedish show which determines the country's entry to the Eurovision Song Contest 2010 in Oslo, Norway. Darin entered with the mid-tempo ballad You're Out of My Life written by Tony Nilsson and Henrik Janson. Darin performed 7th in Heat 3 of the contest and eventually progressed to the final. Darin took part in the Melodifestivalen final on Saturday, March 13, 2010 at Globe Arena in Stockholm, he came an eventual 4th place with a total of 117 points receiving two sets of 12 points from the Greek and Russian juries.
2010: Album 'Lovekiller'
On 1 June 2010 Universal Music Sweden announced that on August 18, 2010 Darin would soon be releasing his single "Lovekiller" and an as yet untitled fifth studio album, his first with Universal, and would feature the 2 singles Viva la Vida and You're Out of My Life.
Darin began a 17 date Sommarturné (Summer Tour) of Sweden on June 4, 2010 starting in Karlshamn.
The album Lovekiller was released on August 18, 2010 with a digital release two days earlier on August 16. The album includes all 4 singles releases prior to the album Viva la Vida, You're Out of My Life, "Can't Stop Love" and "Lovekiller". The album was certified gold the first week and was #1 on the Swedish album chart.
- As well as being a successful performer, Darin is also an established songwriter. In 2009, "Love Struck", a song co-written by Darin and David Jassy, became the first official single for the American boyband V Factory.
- In 2007, Leona Lewis covered Darin's ballad "Homeless" for her debut album Spirit.
- In 2009, Darin had performed the song Se på mej at Melodifestivalen 2009 as an interval act.
- In June 2010 Darin was asked by Swedish broadcaster SVT to record a specially written song "Can't Stop Love" for the Royal Wedding of Princess Victoria and Daniel Westling.
- In 2010, the song "Foolish" originally recorded for the album Lovekiller and written by Darin with Tony Nilson was recorded by British X Factor winner Shayne Ward for his album Obsession.
- Darin wrote a song called "Turn It Up", originally on the track list for Lovekiller, but gave it to the British girl group, A Girl Called Alice.
- Darin co-wrote the song "Under The Radar" with Tony Nilsson and Teddy Sky. It was the first single for the artist Qpid. 
- In October of 2011, it was announced that Darin is involved in writing a new song for Swedish artist Eddie Razaz, titled "Let Me In". 
- 2005 The Anthem (#1, Platinum, Sweden)
- 2005 Darin (#1, Platinum, Sweden)
- 2006 Break The News (#1, Gold, Sweden)
- 2008 Flashback (#10, Sweden)
- 2010 LoveKiller (#1, Gold, Sweden)
Darin has won several awards through his career, including:
- A Grammis in 2006, Rockbjörn (Rock bear award)
- Nickelodeon Kids Choice Award
- The Voice 06 Award in Sweden
- NRJ Award for Best Nordic song in Finland
- ^ http://www.aftonbladet.se/nojesbladet/article3370505.ab?service=print
- ^ Debut Chart Topper "swedishcharts". Retrieved January 2nd 2010.
- ^ Sophomore Success "swedishcharts". Retrieved January 2nd 2010.
- ^ Break The Top Of The Charts "swedishcharts". Retrieved January 2nd 2010.
- ^ Album Promo Tour. "Official Site". Retrieved January 1st 2010.
- ^ Swedish Poster Promos. "Official Gallery". Retrieved January 1st 2010
- ^ Flashback Chart "swedishcharts". Retrieved January 2nd 2010.
- ^ Viva la Vida Goes Gold "Darin Official". Retrieved December 18th 2009.
- ^ Darin To Enter Melodifestivelan "ScandiPop". Retrieved November 3rd 2009.
- ^ Darin The First Jokern "Oikotimes". Retrieved January 2nd 2010.
- ^ Darin's The First Wild Card "SVT". Retrieved November 3rd 2009.
- ^ Globen Awaits Darin "www.eurovision.tv". Reterieved February 27, 2010.
- ^ Darin To Release New Album. universalmusic.se. Retrieved June 9, 2010.
- ^ Darin Sommarturné. www.darin.nu. Retrieved June 9, 2010.
- ^ Leona Lewis Covers Darin Track "Leona Lewis Site". Retrieved January 2nd 2010.
- ^ Darin Zanyar Blog: Shayne Ward tar hjälp av svenskar (in Swedish)
- ^ http://swedishstereo.blogspot.com/2011/07/qpid-under-radar.html
- ^ http://swedishstereo.blogspot.com/2011/10/eddie-razaz-you.html
Singles Seasons HostsPär Lernström, Cecilia Forss Former Hosts JudgesAlexander Bard · Anders Bagge · Laila Bagge Wahlgren · Pelle Lidell Former Judges Winners Winner's Singles Runners-up Notable alumni Related articles
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Darin — may refer to Darin (singer), full name Darin Zanyar, a Swedish pop singer Bobby Darin, American pop singer Ricardo Darín, Argentine actor Darin Strauss, American author See also All pages beginning with Darin Daran, a village in Azerbaijan Daren … Wikipedia
Darin (album) — Darin Studio album by Darin Released September 28, 2005 … Wikipedia
Darin discography — Darin discography Darin performing at the Step Up To The Party Tour in 2005 Releases ↙Studio albums 5 … Wikipedia
Darin Dunn — Infobox musical artist | Name = Darin Dunn Img capt = Dunn performing in Chisinau, Moldova Img size = Landscape = Background = solo singer Birth name = Darin Leroy Dunn Alias = Born = Birth date and age|1979|3|26 Died = Origin = Instrument =… … Wikipedia
Darin, Bobby — ▪ American singer and songwriter original name Walden Robert Cassotto born May 14, 1936, New York, N.Y., U.S. died Dec. 20, 1973, Los Angeles, Calif. American singer and songwriter whose quest for success in several genres made him a… … Universalium
Darin — /ˈdærən/ (say daruhn) noun Bobby (born Walden Robert Cassotto), 1936–73, US pop and jazz singer and film actor … Australian English dictionary
Bobby Darin — Infobox musical artist Name = Bobby Darin Img capt = Img size = Landscape = Background = solo singer Birth name = Walden Robert Cassotto Alias = Born = birth date|1936|5|14|mf=y Died = death date and age |1973|12|20|1936|5|14 Origin = Bronx, New… … Wikipedia
Isaac Merritt Singer — (* 27. Oktober 1811 in Pittstown, New York; † 23. Juli 1875 in Paignton, Devonshire, Großbritannien) war ein US amerikanischer Unternehmer und Erfinder. Er leistete wesentliche Beiträge zur E … Deutsch Wikipedia
Katharina Szelinski-Singer — Katharina Szelinski Singer, geb. Singer (* 24. Mai 1918 in Neusassen bei Heydekrug, Memelland; † 20. Dezember 2010 in Berlin) war eine deutsche Bildhauerin. Sie lebte seit 1945 in Berlin. Die Künstlerin war ausgebildete Steinbildhauerin und… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Atiyah-Singer-Indexsatz — Der Atiyah Singer Indexsatz ist die zentrale Aussage aus der globalen Analysis, einem mathematischen Teilgebiet der Differentialgeometrie. Er besagt, dass für einen elliptischen Differentialoperator auf einer kompakten Mannigfaltigkeit der… … Deutsch Wikipedia