Kapp Records Parent company MCA Inc. Founded 1954 Founder David Kapp Status defunct (fate: absorbed into MCA Records) Genre Various Country of origin United States
Kapp Records was an independent record label started in 1954 by David Kapp, brother of Jack Kapp (who had set up American Decca Records in 1934). David Kapp founded his own label after stints with Decca Records and RCA Victor Records. Kapp licensed its records to London Records for release in the UK.
In 1967, David Kapp sold his label to MCA Inc. and the label was placed under Uni Records management; Kapp was consolidated with MCA's other record labels in 1971 and, in 1972, MCA Records released the last Kapp Record.
Throughout Kapp's history, its logo was a stylized "K" incorporating a phonograph record design. Three versions of this logo appeared during the company's history. Until 1970, this logo also appeared on a drum major's cap in a word play of the label's name.
- 1950s: Stylized "K/record" logo and KAPP at top of either red/white, silver/maroon or purplish red/white labels 
- Early 1960s: Black label with white "K/record" logo and KAPP in red at top , a similar design had a red drum major cap and KAPP in yellow at top.
- Mid to late 1960s: Black label with red drum major cap (showing "K/record" logo in yellow) and KAPP in black letters in white box at left for singles, at top for albums.
- 1970-1972: Purple, red, orange and yellow label with new "K" logo, either in black or in white inside black box, at left  (A few 1970s releases were also pressed with the mid-to-late 1960s black label)
- Medallion Records, an audiophile label.
- Leader Records: It was launched to release more "middle of the road" material.
- Four Corners Records, with its "4 Corners of the World" logo. The record label was launched to promote European artists like Françoise Hardy, Raymond Lefevre, and the Barclay Singers.
- Another subsidiary label was Congress Records.
- 1954: Kapp Records was created by David Kapp.
- 1960: Kapp Records released one of the first cover versions of songs from The Sound of Music, which was running on Broadway at that time. The Pete King Chorale was featured on the album.
- 1966: The record label released the original cast album of Man of La Mancha, perhaps their most successful cast album.
- 2003: MCA Records is absorbed into Geffen Records, which currently manages Kapp's pop/rock/R&B catalogs. The country, jazz, and musical theatre catalogs are now managed by MCA Nashville Records, GRP Records, and Decca Broadway, respectively. Decca Broadway released a remastered version of the Man of La Mancha original cast album in 2001.
Kapp Records artists
- Hall, Claude: "MCA Drops Vocalion, Decca, Kapp and Uni", Billboard, February 10, 1973
- ^ http://books.google.com/books?id=MygEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA7&dq=%22kapp+records%22+%2B+mca&hl=en&ei=r31gTL25KsGB8gbVn_HEDQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CEUQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=%22kapp%20records%22%20%2B%20mca&f=false
- ^ http://www.discogs.com/label/Kapp+Records
- ^ http://books.google.com/books?id=MygEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA7&dq=uni+%2B+decca+%2B+kapp&hl=en&ei=hr80TMCGLYiCnQfDsuHaAw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CDQQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=uni%20%2B%20decca%20%2B%20kapp&f=false
- ^ http://books.google.com/books?id=vh8EAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA43&dq=kapp+%2B+%22medallion+records%22&hl=en&ei=d_xFTMKPNtT-nAfa58HaAw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CDgQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=kapp%20%2B%20%22medallion%20records%22&f=false
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Kapp Records — war ein amerikanisches Schallplattenlabel, das 1955 von David Kapp, dem Bruder von Jack Kapp (Gründer der amerikanischen Decca Records) gegründet wurde. David Kapp verkaufte sein Label 1967 an MCA Records, die es dann 1973 einstellten. Kapp… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Kapp — ist der Name mehrerer Personen Andreas Kapp (* 1967), deutscher Curler Artur Kapp (1878–1952), estnischer Komponist Christian Kapp (1798–1874), badischer Politiker Daniel Kapp (* 1968), Politikberater und Kommunikationsexperte Ernst Kapp… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Kapp — may refer to: * Kapp, Norway * Kapp Records, a record label * KAPP, channel 35, ABC affiliate for Yakima, WashingtonKapp is the surname of: * Andy Kapp (born 1967), German curler * Artur Kapp (1878 1952), Estonian composer * Colin Kapp (born… … Wikipedia
Records nfl (individuels) — Sommaire 1 Longévité 2 Points marqués 2.1 Touchdowns 2.2 Conversions de touchdowns … Wikipédia en Français
Records NFL (individuels) — /* */ Records NFL (individuels) Sommaire … Wikipédia en Français
MCA Records — infobox record label parent = MCA Inc., Universal founded = 1967 founder = status = Defunct (2003) distributor = genre = Various country = USA location = url = MCA Records was an American based record company owned by MCA Inc., which later gave… … Wikipedia
Pye Records — Parent company Pye Ltd. then ATV Founded 1953 Status Defunct Distributor(s) Self distributed … Wikipedia
MCA Records — fue un sello discográfico propiedad del grupo Music Corporation of America. La discográfica, al igual que todo el conglomerado de MCA Inc., fue absorbido por el grupo Geffen Records. Historia MCA realizó su aparición en el mercado musical en 1962 … Wikipedia Español
Medallion Records — Label of a 1919 Medallion Record by the Louisiana Five Medallion Records was a short lived (1919 1921) record label based in the United States of America. The label was owned by the Baldwin Piano Corporation of Cincinnati, Ohio. Most Medallion… … Wikipedia
Jack Kapp — was a record company executive with Brunswick Records who founded Decca Records in 1934. [cite book |title=Milton Brown and the Founding of Western Swing |last=Ginell |first=Cary |coauthors=Brown, Roy Lee |year=1994 |publisher=University of… … Wikipedia