GWR 4073 Class 5051 Earl Bathurst
Earl Bathurst is a
Castle class locomotive. It still works, and is run by the Didcot Railway Centre.
It was originally built as Drysllwyn Castle in May 1936. Its first shed allocation was
SwanseaLandore. Renamed Earl Bathurstin August 1937; the name coming from a de-named GWR Dukedog Class. It was moved to Neathshed in April 1961 before its final move to Llanellyin February 1963. It was withdrawn May 1963 after completing 1,300,000 miles. It was acquired by Woodhams' Scrapyardin Barry, South Wales[http://www.greatwestern.org.uk/barry1.htm] in October 1963. It was sold to the Great Western Society at Didcot Railway Centreand left as the 4th departure from Barry in March 1969. It was restored in 1979 and regained its former name - Drysllwyn Castle although it occasionally carries the name of Earl Bathurst. The Earl Bathurst ran from Swansea to Paddington on St Davids Day 01.03.2007 carrying fare paying passengers; [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
] . It was repainted into BR livery but has now been withdrawn due to the expiry of its boiler certificate. It is unlikely to be overhauled for a while due to the current overhauls of 4079 'Pendennis Castle' and 6023 'King Edward II' which will provide the centre with two GWR express locomotives in traffic.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Woodhams' Scrapyard — Woodham Brothers Scrapyard was in Barry, Wales. During the 1960s nearly 300 withdrawn British Railways steam locomotives were sent there.At the same time many thousands of short wheelbase wagons were being withdrawn and it was found that these… … Wikipedia
Didcot Railway Centre — [v · d · … Wikipedia
Torbay Express — The Torbay Express is a named passenger train operating in the United Kingdom.Great Western RailwayHistorically, the Torbay Express name was applied to services operated by the Great Western Railway from London Paddington to Torquay and… … Wikipedia