Durabrand was first started in early 1999 as a brand only made for Wal-Mart stores as a generic brand for electronics, but has grown to be available near-internationally (due to Wal-Mart's global reach).
Wal-Mart Germany was the first country to introduce the private label with a lineup in Consumer Electronics. Responsible for the first launch in 1999 were Uwe Bremeyer (Senior Buyer Dept. 5) and Michael Werry (Buyer Dept. 5), since 2002 Martin Schulz (Senior Buyer Dept. 5) & Frank Mades (Divisional Merchandise Manager Electronics) for Wal-Mart Germany. The very first product launched was a 120 min Videocassette produced at RAKS in Manisa (Turkey).
The products are marked for only Wal-Mart stores and available in very few other stores than Wal-Mart. Like most generic brands, Durabrand is a chain of different manufacturers. Durabrand is chained with Lenoxx Sound, Alco, Funai (which would also include Emerson, Sylvania, and Symphonic), Orion, Maxell, Resonance, Initial Technology, and many other different companies. The prices of a majority of their products are often considered loss leaders.
Durabrand does have some "company rivals," despite the low prices, their products are matched up between other in-house brands like Wal-Mart's iLo brand (considered as an upmarket brand, offers MP3 digital audio players and plasma video displays), Target's TruTech brand; and to an extent, K-Mart's former Curtis Mathes/White-Westinghouse (in the mid-to-late 1990s) now Home Essentials brand. Due to the fact that all of these are store brands, the stores are often competitive to get buyers to their store brand. Aside from store brands, Durabrand is matched up to Coby Electronics, Jwin, GPX, and other low-cost electronics brands. Durabrand offers audio equipment (CD players, alarm clocks, boomboxes, theater systems) and video equipment (VCRs, DVD players, televisions). However, it has also been lately focused on home appliances such as kitchen equipment, telephones, vacuums, and other general home appliances.
- Media (CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, DVD-RW, and blank VHS tapes)
- Home minisystems and home-theater-in-a-box systems
- Boomboxes: Durabrand sells a variety of boomboxes. The offerings range from an AM/FM radio with a single-deck cassette player to models featuring CD players and some models with MP3-CD compatibility.
- CD players (with and without ESP): Durabrand has variety in portable CD players. Ranging from the basic models without anti-skip protection to models with a built in radio tuner, MP3 CD compatibility, or come supplied with a car kit - consisting of a 12 Volt DC adapter and signal-to-cassette adapter.
- DVD Players: There are three different types of DVD player that Durabrand sells. One type is the component DVD player that is connects to a TV with A/V inputs (due to being a fire hazard, this product was recalled on August 20, 2009). Another design is a clamshell design portable DVD player (similar to a notebook computer). And a car DVD player "system" that can have up to two screens mounted on rear seats.
- Televisions: Durabrand used to sell monochrome portable televisions (sourced from Lenoxx Electronics Corporation) but now can only be purchased under the Lenoxx Sound name. Durabrand currently sells moderately sized color televisions (13-inch to 27-inch) manufactured by Funai Electric.
- Home Appliances: Home appliances include vacuums, hand mixers, coffee makers, wine coolers and other general home equipment.
- Telephones: Basic models, models with Caller ID and answering systems.
- Car audio: speakers and sets
- Computer speakers
- Coffee makers
- Two-way radios
- Cordless Vacuum Cleaners
A large D is often found on the front of their products. Silver and black are the predominant colors used on their products.
- Most portable CD players and other audio equipment are currently sourced from distributor/supplier Lenoxx Sound.
- Larger stereo systems are often sourced from Alco.
- Televisions were sourced from Orion, currently sourced from Funai Electric.
- Blank media currently sourced from Maxell.
- Car audio currently sourced from Resonance.
- Some DVD players are sourced from Initial Technology, but some models are also sourced from Lenoxx Sound and Venturer.
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. Key people Assets See alsoCriticism of Walmart · Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Price · History of Walmart · List of assets owned by Walmart · List of Walmart brands · Why Wal-Mart Works; and Why That Drives Some People C-R-A-Z-Y Annual revenue: US$405.61 billion FY 2009 ($13.4 billion) · Employees: 2.1 million · Stock symbol: NYSE: WMT · Website: walmartstores.com
Durabrand support site
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Lenoxx Electronics Corporation — Infobox Company company name = Lenoxx company company type = Public label company slogan = foundation = location = Carteret, New Jersey, USA key people = Morris Fuchs sales num employees = industry = Consumer electronics and private labels… … Wikipedia
List of Wal-Mart brands — Wal Mart Stores, Inc., like most large retail and grocery chains, offers store brands, commonly referred to as house brands or generic brands, which are low priced alternatives to name brand products. Wal Mart has numerous store brands, each… … Wikipedia
Asda — Infobox Company company name = Asda Stores Limited company type = Subsidiary parent = Wal Mart company slogan = Why pay more? That s Asda Price. Always low prices... always. foundation = Leeds, West Yorkshire, England (1965) location = Leeds,… … Wikipedia
Funai — for|the Indian Protection Agency of Brazil|Fundação Nacional do ÍndioInfobox Company company name = Funai Electric Co. LTD. 船井電機株式会社 company company slogan = Digital Visual Entertainment company type = Public (Tyo|6839; foundation = April 1951… … Wikipedia
Digilogic — is a name used by supermarket chain Tesco for its own electronic products. Digilogic products are sold by Tesco, Argos and a few other electronics retailers. It is rumoured[by whom?] that Digilogic, along with Matsui and Durabrand electronics are … Wikipedia
List of DVD manufacturers — This aims to be a complete list of DVD manufacturers. This list is not necessarily complete or up to date if you see a manufacturer that should be here but isn t (or one that shouldn t be here but is), please update the page accordingly. Contents … Wikipedia
Orion Electric — Co., Ltd. a été créée en 1958 à Osaka, Japon, et la société est actuellement basée dans la ville d Echizen, préfecture de Fukui. Au départ, les produits fabriqués étaient des radios à transistor, des radio cassette, des auto radio, et des chaînes … Wikipédia en Français
List of Walmart brands — Wal Mart Stores, Inc., like most large retail and grocery chains, offers store brands, commonly referred to as house brands or generic brands, which are low priced alternatives to name brand products. Walmart has numerous store brands, each… … Wikipedia