Land reform in Vietnam
Land reform in Vietnam was a program of
land reformin North Vietnamfrom 1953 to 1956. It followed the program of land reform in Chinafrom 1946 to 1953.
The aim of the land reform program was to break the power of the traditional village elite, to form a
new classof leaders, and redistribute the wealth(mostly land) to create a new class that has no ownership. It was an element of the Communist revolution.
The reform was very radical. It led to allegations of many villagers being executed, land being taken away even from poor
peasantsand of creating paranoia among neighbours and kin. Many peasants were falsely labeled as landlordsand executed.
Former Hanoi government official Nguyen Minh Can, told RFA’s Vietnamese service: “The land reform was a massacre of innocent, honest people, and using contemporary terms we must say that it was a genocide triggered by class discrimination”.
Some reports said that up to 50,000 people were killed and another 500,000 died gradually in labor camps or from starvation. Almost 1 million of the North Vietnamese people uprooted and left the North to move South because of this event.
By the end of 1956, the Communist Party announced their land reform was a mistake, and a campaign to rectify the error lasted till 1958.
The land reform in North Vietnam was documented by
Hoang Van Chiin " From Colonialism to Communism", first published in 1962 by the Congress of Cultural Freedom, in New York, London, and New Delhi. P. J. Honeywrote the Introduction for this work.
# HOANG VAN CHI "From Colonialism to Communism: A Case History of North Vietnam" New York: Praeger, (1964). Intro. by P. J. Honey. 1st American ed.
# Edwin E. Moïse. "Land Reform in China and North Vietnam:Consolidating the Revolution at the Village Level". Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press, 1983. xiv, 305 pp. ISBN 0-8078-1547-0.
# Nixon, Richard. "No More Vietnams". New York: Arbor House, 1985. ISBN 0-87795-668-5
* [http://www.rfa.org/english/news/2006/06/08/vietnam_landreform/ 50 Years On, Vietnamese Remember Land Reform Terror]
* [http://www.hawaii.edu/powerkills/SOD.CHAP6.HTM Statistics Of Vietnamese Democide And Mass Murder]
* [http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,809581,00.html Land of the Mourning Widows] Time
* [http://www.clemson.edu/caah/history/FacultyPages/EdMoise/landbook.htmlLand Reform in China and North Vietnam]
* [http://nhanai.free.fr/caicachruongdat/001caicachruongdat.htm Some pictures of the Land Reform in North Vietnam]
* [http://www.clemson.edu/caah/history/FacultyPages/EdMoise/landbook.html Land Reform in China and Vietnam]
* [http://www.clemson.edu/caah/history/facultypages/EdMoise/54-64.html Vietnam War Bibliography]
* [http://www.freevn.org/chungtoimuonsong/ctms.html We want to live - A Vietnamese movie about Land Reform in North Vietnam]
* [http://www.ias.chula.ac.th/fileDownloads/AR/AsianReview_2004.pdf Montira Rato, Land reform in Vietnamese literature,Asian Review_2004. pdf]
* [http://www.mofa.gov.vn/vi/cs_doingoai/pbld/ns050830151827 Nhận định của nguyên Thủ tướng Võ Văn Kiệt về đại đoàn kết dân tộc] trên Website Bộ Ngoại giao Việt Nam
* [http://www.talawas.org/talaDB/showFile.php?res=5452&rb=0302 Loạt bài: Hồ sơ Cải cách ruộng đất] trên diễn đàn Talawas
* [https://tong.ziyoulonglive.com/dmirror/http/www.rfa.org/vietnamese/in_depth/LandReform/ Loạt bài Cải cách ruộng đất trên RFA]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Land reform — Land reforms (also agrarian reform, though that can have a broader meaning) is an often controversial alteration in the societal arrangements whereby government administers possession and use of land. Land reform may consist of a government… … Wikipedia
land reform — any program, esp. when undertaken by a national government, involving the redistribution of agricultural land among the landless. [1840 50, Amer.] * * * Deliberate change in the way agricultural land is held or owned, the methods of its… … Universalium
Vietnam — Socialist Republic of Vietnam Cộng hòa Xã hội chủ nghĩa Việt Nam … Wikipedia
Land to the Tiller — (en.: Land in Bauernhand) Programme waren verteilende Landreformen in der Zeit des kalten Krieges in Südvietnam und in El Salvador. Inhaltsverzeichnis 1 Südvietnam 2 Widerstände 3 Umfang … Deutsch Wikipedia
Land to the Tiller (South Vietnam) — Land to the Tiller was a land reform program attempted in South Vietnam in 1970 at the height of the Vietnam War. References*Mark Moyar, [http://www.vietnam.ttu.edu/vietnamcenter/events/1996 Symposium/96papers/moyar.htm Villager attitudes during… … Wikipedia
Vietnam — /vee et nahm , nam , vyet , vee it /, n. 1. Official name, Socialist Republic of Vietnam. a country in SE Asia, comprising the former states of Annam, Tonkin, and Cochin China: formerly part of French Indochina; divided into North Vietnam and… … Universalium
Vietnam War — Part of the Cold War and the Indochina Wars … Wikipedia
Vietnam — Cộng hoà Xã hội Chủ nghĩa Việt Nam Sozialistische Republik Vietnam … Deutsch Wikipedia
Reform of the United Nations Security Council — encompasses a variety of proposals, including procedural reforms, such as eliminating the veto held by the five permanent members, and expansion of the Council. In practice, Security Council reform usually refers to schemes to restructure or… … Wikipedia
REFORM JUDAISM — REFORM JUDAISM, first of the modern interpretations of Judaism to emerge in response to the changed political and cultural conditions brought about by the emancipation . The Reform movement was a bold historical response to the dramatic events of … Encyclopedia of Judaism